Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rather Ripped Facts (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=383)

Chris Lawrence 04.08.2006 05:16 PM

What were the 'leftover' titles from the early performances of these tunes? Helen Lundberg? Anything else?

Sn@ke 04.08.2006 05:35 PM

hey Chris, do you have any idea if they are using new tunings?

thanks for the review...

Neongod 04.08.2006 07:52 PM

CHRIS!!!

Are Helen Lundeberg or Eye Liner (from the Flywheel performace) on the new album with a different title? I doubt it, but just thought I'd ask.

Chris Lawrence 04.09.2006 01:19 AM

I'd need to hear the Flywheel gig, can somebody direct me towards it?

No idea on tunings etc yet...

Chris Lawrence 04.09.2006 01:40 AM

K I found the Flywheel stuff...neither "Helen" nor "Eyeliner" appear in any form on RR as far as I can tell.

Chris Lawrence 04.09.2006 01:51 AM

WOW -- this solo version of "OR" is a mere shadow of the full band version, I would've been pretty surprised had I heard the solo take first...the album version is tremendous.

sksc 04.09.2006 03:37 AM

Bonus Track of Rather Ripped.

Helen Lundeberg (International Bonus Track)
Eyeliner (Japan & UK Bonus Track)
Do you believe in rapture? <Psychedelic Mix> (Japan Only)

This information was found on the site of Universal-Music-Japan.
http://www.universal-music.co.jp/u-p.../uicf1075.html

Soundtrax 04.09.2006 03:37 AM

Thanks SKSC, welcome to the board... are you Japanese? :)

i am supprised how short the songs are :( ... on Nurse there are only 2 songs bellow 5 minutes, on Rather Ripped there are only 2 songs above 5 minutes :(

P.S.: i updated the first post with some of chris lawrences facts :)

telenoise 04.09.2006 04:53 AM

so helen lundberg is the bonustrack of all editions? would be cool, 13 new songs without having to buy an expensive imported copy.

hungrymoon 04.09.2006 05:05 AM

That's funny, Helen Lundeberg & Eyeliner were the two from the flywheel that I liked less, bodes well for the album that they seem to have been thinking along the same lines, at least it does for me!

greenlight 04.09.2006 06:34 AM

thanks Chris!!!

that's what I thought about pink steam as well, when i heard it for first time from that thustson gig. can't wait to hear pink steam on album, must be great tune.

yeah, not very typical song timing. something like 9 - 15min. sonic youth noise jamming seems to be missing there.

samuel 04.09.2006 09:00 AM

yeah, only 2 songs over 5 minutes
I was expecting at least one over 10 minutes
oh well

Neongod 04.09.2006 01:26 PM

Thanks Chris. In a way, I'm very happy to hear that.

lunberg 04.09.2006 05:00 PM

How come some of u guys heard songs from the album are u critics?

HaydenAsche 04.09.2006 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lunberg
How come some of u guys heard songs from the album are u critics?

Flywheel gig.

Chris Lawrence sucks dick for the band.

Neongod 04.09.2006 09:21 PM

Chris: one more question...

Since you've heard the Flywheel "Do You Believe in Rapture?", how different is it on the album? I noticed some kind of beat in the b/g during the radio interview...just wondering if Lee does any counter-melodies, etc...

ozZuB-ginK 04.09.2006 10:48 PM

man so lucky to get to listen to the new record already! I can't wait for this one, of course every 2 years i get excited around april for the new SY record (;

Chris Lawrence 04.10.2006 12:28 AM

I'm wondering if they should've called this record "Jams Run Free" -- it really grows on you, and the nuances of the guitar tones and song structure takes a few listens to fully appreciate...I'm finding the record as a whole is gaining its own identity, and I just really, really like it more and more.

Also, this is the first time in a while they've given us 14 vocal tracks from one session/era (including the bonus tracks -- usually they're instrumentals), it's a nice change...

Chris Lawrence 04.10.2006 12:31 AM

BTW, the "uneven treadwear" thing on the radio version of "Rapture" is the radio dude, not Lee. Lee doesn't sing on the song, unless he pops up on that alternate mix. He doesn't do spoken word about marijuana over the intro of "Reena", either.

Soundtrax 04.10.2006 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
BTW, the "uneven treadwear" thing on the radio version of "Rapture" is the radio dude, not Lee. Lee doesn't sing on the song, unless he pops up on that alternate mix. He doesn't do spoken word about marijuana over the intro of "Reena", either.

well, for me it is hard to believe that "uneven treadwear" isn't lee... its just the lee's voice and typical style of him reading poetry. the volume is too loud compared to the radio guy later in the program, but also maybe too loud to be a part of a track... its a really misterious thing dude :D