Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Subcultures that don't know shit about their cultural history (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4844)

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.04.2006 09:37 PM

Subcultures that don't know shit about their cultural history

Goths- most 'goths' I've met don't know anything about Bauhaus, Joy Division, Christian Death, Fields of Nephilim
Emo- How many emo kids do you know that listen to Rites of Spring?
It also gets me how much the definition of "hardcore" and "post-hardcore" has changed over the last few years.

porkmarras 08.04.2006 09:39 PM

It's because there are retards all around the world.

RdTv 08.04.2006 09:40 PM

heard.

the retard comment that is.

Savage Clone 08.04.2006 09:54 PM

Nothing is more annoying than a Gothic retard.
Seriously, just try and analyze the deeper subtexts of "Rosegarden Funeral Of Sores" with one of these people. You get NOWHERE.

Toilet & Bowels 08.04.2006 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
It's because there are retards all around the world.

i'm going to use that in real life, and claim it as my own.

porkmarras 08.04.2006 10:01 PM

Not that you'd need me to tell you that.

Toilet & Bowels 08.04.2006 10:05 PM

i don't, but i like the succintness of it.

schizophrenicroom 08.04.2006 10:26 PM

there's a lot of "indie" kids (does it count as a subculture?) that don't know anything except the garden state soundtrack and bright eyes. show them dinosaur jr, they don't know who it is, but mention the strokes/killers/any major label band labeled as indie by some lame mega-corp and you get "omg they're sooo indie. i looooove them. i love indie!!!". idiots.

(i'm exactly quoting a girl with that "i love indie" bit. no joke.)

porkmarras 08.04.2006 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
there's a lot of "indie" kids that don't know anything except the garden state soundtrack and bright eyes. show them dinosaur jr, they don't know who it is, but mention the strokes/killers/any major label band labeled as indie by some lame mega-corp and you get "omg they're sooo indie. i looooove them. i love indie!!!". idiots.

Where's this meant to happen then?

schizophrenicroom 08.04.2006 10:29 PM

this happens a lot in suburbs where kids don't get out much/live under rocks, if i'm interpreting you right.

porkmarras 08.04.2006 10:31 PM

Quote:

this happens a lot in suburbs where kids don't get out much/live under rocks, if i'm interpreting you right.

Still not sure of the location.Tell us more.

Alex's Trip 08.04.2006 10:34 PM

Quote:

there's a lot of "indie" kids (does it count as a subculture?) that don't know anything except the garden state soundtrack and bright eyes. show them dinosaur jr, they don't know who it is, but mention the strokes/killers/any major label band labeled as indie by some lame mega-corp and you get "omg they're sooo indie. i looooove them. i love indie!!!". idiots.

I get that alot....

porkmarras 08.04.2006 10:39 PM

Quote:

porky- i live in shitty florida, and in my town and school (my school is twenty miles away, most of the kids live in that town that go there), there's a lot of the poseur types that are the popular kids who know kids in the lower social tiers look up to. the popular kids find all these "hot indie bands" (our best buy has banners that say "indie" on them friggin' everywhere and it's just major label crap marketed to their minds as indie) and latch on to them and act like "oh, indie, i'm so individual, fuck corporations!" and they're really not, then the kids that follow their every move latch on. there's some kids at school, like the drama kids or the kids that ditch class to sit in the car and smoke and listen to cds that know a bit better, that know the "history" (so to speak) of sst, sonic youth, pavement, husker du, on and on, but most of them don't have a clue of anything that's really indie besides the crap labeled nowadays as it.

Step above them schizo.Tell them that you like Glitchcore or something.They probably wont know what to make of you that way.If not i've invented a few new genres that i have already posted about.

Alex's Trip 08.04.2006 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
I get that alot....

I take that back. I get people who like some hardcore music stuff. I don't know any of the names of the bands other than Nodes of Ranvier and Underoath. But when I do find people that like 'indie' music I get the 'Major Label indie' lovers.

TheDom 08.04.2006 10:44 PM

Quote:

This has happened to me before

"Modest Mouse are the kings of indie... no wait, the Killers are!"

schizophrenicroom 08.04.2006 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
Step above them schizo.Tell them that you like Glitchcore or something.They probably wont know what to make of you that way.If not i've invented a few new genres that i have already posted about.

i like doing that. i like "post math-rock tweecore" or "ambient glitch" to throw people off.

dom- oh god, the killers. i like modest mouse, though.

k-krack 08.04.2006 10:45 PM

Quote:

best buy.... "oh, indie, i'm so individual, fuck corporations!"

now, theres a paradox if ever i saw one! "i hate corporations, but excuse me, i have to go to this huge chain store to buy some strokes cds."

porkmarras 08.04.2006 10:47 PM

Quote:

i like doing that. i like "post math-rock tweecore" or "ambient glitch" to throw people off.

Right,tell them that gluecore is really popular in England then.They are basically fucked,that way.

schizophrenicroom 08.04.2006 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-krack
now, theres a paradox if ever i saw one! "i hate corporations, but excuse me, i have to go to this huge chain store to buy some strokes cds."

that's the best part of it all.

porky- haha. what are your thoughts on post-gluecore?

luxinterior 08.04.2006 10:57 PM

I just hate it when one of my close friends tells me that I "should really listen to The Sounds" (or whatever other crap band she's into at the moment) because, as she says, it sounds like something that I would listen to. She calls this "Becky music." Of course, she doesn't really know the first thing about what I actually do like. I used to try to argue with her, but now I just let her talk while I remain completely silent. Nod and smile. Best thing to do in that situation.

Other than that, very few music-related things send me into a rage.