Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sleepin Around (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=33916)

Concrete Abutments 08.30.2009 10:47 AM

Who cares about goddamn lyrics? Sleepin' Around fucking ROCKS!

Satan 08.30.2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Concrete Abutments
Who cares about goddamn lyruics? Sleepin' Around fucking ROCKS!

this is false

Chris Lawrence 08.30.2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Concrete Abutments
Who cares about goddamn lyrics? Sleepin' Around fucking ROCKS!

most of the time, with sonic youth at least, i don't care about the lyrics -- overall i think most of their lyrics are pretty good, they fit the songs, and 'sound cool' more-so than 'mean something to me', which i guess is what some people seek in lyrics. there are very, very few (shockingly few, actually) SY songs where i feel like the music doesn't cut it. however, in rare instances the lyrics can be so distracting to actually devalue the song, no matter how much it rocks (and i don't particularly think 'sleepin around' is high on their list of compositions, instrumentally, but it does indeed 'rock'), and this song is definitely one of those instances.

that said, perhaps if kim had sang it, it would've sounded awesome. she has a gift for turning lyrical shit to gold, sometimes...

dasx 08.30.2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
most of the time, with sonic youth at least, i don't care about the lyrics -- overall i think most of their lyrics are pretty good, they fit the songs, and 'sound cool' more-so than 'mean something to me', which i guess is what some people seek in lyrics. there are very, very few (shockingly few, actually) SY songs where i feel like the music doesn't cut it. however, in rare instances the lyrics can be so distracting to actually devalue the song, no matter how much it rocks (and i don't particularly think 'sleepin around' is high on their list of compositions, instrumentally, but it does indeed 'rock'), and this song is definitely one of those instances.

that said, perhaps if kim had sang it, it would've sounded awesome. she has a gift for turning lyrical shit to gold, sometimes...

I definitely agree with you.

automatic bzooty 08.30.2009 02:55 PM

let's not dwell on the negative; let's make this thread about how awesome pink steam is instead.

so, uh... fuck yeah, how 'bout that pink steam?

CHOUT 08.30.2009 08:18 PM

yeah, most of their shit is awesome but when they have cringe-worthy moments, they really stick out to me.

Nevermind was one of the first sy cringe songs to me...

I can't think of too many though, really.

SonikJesus 08.31.2009 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitemusic
Can you post it?

Yeah. Here you go. Sorry it took a while. I usually don't check back in threads i post in to see replies.

http://rapidshare.com/files/27370552..._Demo.mp3.html

MARKJONES 09.06.2009 08:18 PM

The best song on the album is either Do You Believe in Rapture? or Pink Steam,followed by Jams Run Free or Reena.

But yeah, i agree: Sleepin' Around is a rather crappy song on rather ripped

nuplastikk 09.08.2009 09:19 AM

I dont think Sleepin Around is so bad...certainly not lyrical gold. I do agree that the chorus lyrics on Nevermind are really cheesy though ("boys go to jupiter ect.." ) and kind of destroy a pretty awesome song.

I think RR and the Eternal are both pretty cool albums, but as with every album released after NYC Ghosts, seem a tad SY-formulaic and lack noisy experimentation..making them a little soft around the edges.

chicka 09.08.2009 01:40 PM

I think RR and the Eternal are both pretty cool albums, but as with every album released after NYC Ghosts, seem a tad SY-formulaic and lack noisy experimentation..making them a little soft around the edges.[/quote]

Ditto.. I put NYC Ghosts in my car last week and haven't taken it out yet. Easily my favorite album since Dirty...

flashlight69 09.14.2009 11:45 AM

huh this is part of the art- the lyrics from sleeping arround are damm weird cool -it´s a whatever for the coolness thing.and the riff sounds cool so where is the problem ?

Chris Lawrence 09.14.2009 12:12 PM

the dumb lyrics ruining a cool riff. haven't you been paying attention?

pbradley 09.14.2009 01:51 PM

It's a pretty terrible song but also very ignorable/forgettable to me.

Gerrystumbaugh 09.16.2009 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkstation
i am not religious

me.

this.

Inhuman 09.16.2009 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
helen lundeberg + eyeliner were both good

These and Pink Steam are the only reasons that makes the album decent. But I don't even mind Sleepin Around that much compared to some of the other songs.

TheMadcapLaughs 09.17.2009 01:26 PM

ive never understood the worship of pink steam, they could write that song in their sleep, auto pilot youth

SONIC GAIL 09.18.2009 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
ive never understood the worship of pink steam, they could write that song in their sleep, auto pilot youth

Cause it is one of the only good ones on the album. I skipped it about 5 times untill I realized thier were vocals in it..I just had to be patient.

mysonichaircut 09.18.2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
Cause it is one of the only good ones on the album. I skipped it about 5 times untill I realized thier were vocals in it..I just had to be patient.

see. i like it till the vocals come. then i skip.

SONIC GAIL 09.18.2009 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysonichaircut
see. i like it till the vocals come. then i skip.

Don't get me wrong I LUUUUUUUV all the noise at the beginning...i just got to be in the mood cause i'm a singer so my fav part are the lyrics and voice..sometimes i get impatient...i do sing the guitar parts to every song....i look crazy

SonicBebs 09.19.2009 07:03 AM

"i'm the one who loves your mother..."
seriously?
nice crescendo though but it does sound a bit tired