Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Wu Tang Clan... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=21754)

batreleaser 05.08.2008 07:43 PM

Wu Tang Clan...

wu tang clan has produced a higher volume of amazing hip hop records than any other artist in the whole genre. i mean these guys came out and totally blew everyone's minds and changed the face of hip hop. its still unthinkable how 9 of the greatest mc's alive all grew up in the same area and decided to start a hip hop supergroup, led by one of the easily top 5 best producers ever, the rza. wu tang totally defined my high school years too, so many times me and my friends would be driving around in my 90' toyota corolla, smoking pot, and banging out heads to "bring da muthafuckin ruckus" inbetween bad brains and black flag records. they and public enemy i think were definitley the artists that knocked down the walls between hip hop and indie/punk fans, getting kids who would never even think twice about hip hop to really become interested in it.

on that note, whatre your favorite wu tang records?

my top 10:
1. raekwon-only built for cuban linx
2. wu tang clan-enter the 36 chambers
3. gza-liquid swords
4. ghostface killah-supreme clientele
5. ol dirty bastard-return to the 36 chambers
6. ghostface killah-iron man
7. method man-tical
8. ol dirty bastard-nigga please
9. ghostface killah-fishscale
10. gza-legend of the liquid swords

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 05.08.2008 07:47 PM

Fishscale is pretty great isn't it?

batreleaser 05.08.2008 08:02 PM

yes it is, in my top five for best hip hop records of the decade (along with viktor vaugh-vaudeville villian, madvillian-madvilliany, clipse-hell hath no fury, and jay z-the blueprint).

o'connor 05.08.2008 08:07 PM

i agree w/ you on hip-hop almost completely sir! you can do no better than the wu and mf doom.

batreleaser 05.08.2008 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o'connor
i agree w/ you on hip-hop almost completely sir! you can do no better than the wu and mf doom.

public enemy

nature scene 05.08.2008 09:33 PM

wu tang forever
enter the 36 chambers
ODB - return to the 36 chambers
GZA - liquid swords
ODB - nigga please
Ghostface - iron man
Masta Killa - no said date

i dunno, i pretty much like all of it but those are the ones i can think of right now.

my fiancee got me 8 diagrams for my last b-day, and I'm getting into it. It's different - not as in your face, but chill Wu is good too - RZA's solo track (I forget the name, but it's #9) is some scary shit, and the music reminds me of black dice.

batreleaser 05.08.2008 10:06 PM

i was gonna say no said date cuz i loved it when it came out, but i got bored of it real fast, especially his rhymes, he sounds too much like the gza without his hyper literate and intellectual flow.

when they started the wu masta killa was the only member with no prior experience with rapping, so the gza actually taught me how so its only fitting that his flow would be similar to the gzas.

sarramkrop 05.09.2008 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o'connor

Of course, 'cause you can do hip hop differently, not better or worse, and still be very good at it. What a ridiculous thing to say.

drrrtyboots 05.09.2008 05:35 AM

I do love the Wu and all their ways but their latest album was a bit of a letdown.

_slavo_ 05.09.2008 05:41 AM

Yes, the 36 chambers is indeed a wonderful and harsh piece of music.

jon boy 05.09.2008 06:36 AM

i love the wu tang.

finding nobody 05.09.2008 09:24 AM

Yeah, my pops was a fiend since sixteen
Shootin' that (that's that shit!) in his blood stream
That's the life of a crimey, real live crimey
If niggas know the half is behind me
Day one, yo, growin all up in the ghetto
Now I'm a weed fiend, jettin the Palmetto

36 chambers (of course)
Liquid Swords
Only heard a little bit of only built for cuban linx, and return to the 36 chambers, and the first method man cd. I loved what I head of all these and do plan on buying them

batreleaser 05.09.2008 10:04 AM

i actually kinda liked 8 diagrams, defintiley not was i expecting, but is that a bad thing? rza's new beats are very cool and almost psychedelic. and the gza, raekwon, meth, and ghostface were all killin it as usual.

Everyneurotic 05.09.2008 10:11 AM

yeah, i love them.

8 diagrams was definitely a mediocre record, there's some great beats there and some great songs but mostly it's like the rza had no idea what he was doing (still, him being the rza, not knowing what he was doing could yield some great results). and i thought everybody sounded unspirited.

nature scene 05.09.2008 10:53 AM

well i think a lot of the songs on 8 diagrams aren't actually produced by RZA, he's been delegating that out more and more.

The reason I put no said date on there isn't because of masta killa, but everyone else on that record

Everyneurotic 05.09.2008 03:25 PM

he did most of the tracks, i had to double check.

Toilet & Bowels 05.09.2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nature scene
The reason I put no said date on there isn't because of masta killa, but everyone else on that record

there's a reason why it took him 13 years or whatever to put out a solo record

jennthebenn 05.09.2008 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
there's a reason why it took him 13 years or whatever to put out a solo record

It was worth it for this.

nature scene 05.10.2008 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
he did most of the tracks, i had to double check.

i stand corrected.

it's definitely a different direction for him then.

I like the album, but even an album that is sub-par by Wu standards is better than 95% of the stuff out there (they are, after all, 5 percenters).

Plus, ODB isn't around anymore - so what can you really expect?

Pessimist 05.10.2008 12:28 PM

I wish Ghost would do more of that chorusless free-associative stuff he was digging around Fishscale.... I'm thinking Shakey Dog and Underwater. Those are great. I thought 8 Diagrams was pretty cool.