Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Later with Jools Holland (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=17507)

the ikara cult 11.02.2007 07:11 PM

Later with Jools Holland

It could be the saturation of sleeveless mindless indie shame, but is it me or has this formerly decent show become shit?

Everyneurotic 11.02.2007 07:17 PM

it's become shit, every weeks there's a joy division rip off and some watered down wannabe world music artist, plus the usual garden variety bad stuff.

at least that was how it is when they stopped showing it here and i stopped watching it.

PAULYBEE2656 11.02.2007 07:18 PM

no its not you!

Danny Himself 11.02.2007 07:20 PM

Richard Hawley* I can deal with, but today's programme disappoints. As has the past 3 or so series. He's trying to appeal to the british indie pop kids methinks, though he forgets they are all tucked up in bed by now reading NME.

*Try to spot the difference:

the ikara cult 11.02.2007 07:25 PM

Phew!

Mainly it is just the same Editors/Kooks/Razorlight rubbish. I mean theres so many bands who have a very decent following who are worth exposing to a mainstream TV audience, like Animal Collective or Will Oldham for example. Its gone mad out of touch. I never listened to John Peel when he was alive but i think im seeing just why he was so important. Thank god for the internet eh

the ikara cult 11.02.2007 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Richard Hawley* I can deal with, but today's programme disappoints. As has the past 3 or so series. He's trying to appeal to the british indie pop kids methinks, though he forgets they are all tucked up in bed by now reading NME.

*Try to spot the difference:

I dont like him but i can appreciate that he's worth more than the general indie-hairspray scene there is. He does have a touch of the Morrissey about him

Danny Himself 11.02.2007 07:27 PM

You can say that again. Jools has clearly lost touch. He needs to get SY back for starters, a touch of Willy Mason, some Bright Eyes. I don't think Dinosaur were ever on the show. Daniel Johnston. Bill Callahan. Dex Romweber.

the ikara cult 11.02.2007 07:32 PM

Bright Eyes must have been on at some stage, he's very popular.
One of the funniest things i ever read was when The Fall went on a couple of years ago and Mark E Smith insisted there was a part in the contract saying Jools was not allowed to play piano over their performance. It was known as the "No boogie-woogie clause". Fucking marvellous.

PAULYBEE2656 11.02.2007 07:37 PM

ha! yeah . they played a stonking version of blindness... that was a great show.

the ikara cult 11.02.2007 07:41 PM

One of the first times i took notice of The Fall that was.
Have you ever seen it when he read out the classified football results? He told Ray Stubbs he had the haircut of a serial killer.
Mark E Smith really is that essential as a human being

PAULYBEE2656 11.02.2007 07:43 PM

yeah or when he said the immortal football summary....

" to see how a football team should defend, you only have to look at walsall....."

deafening silence............. an absolute classic in tv moments!

the ikara cult 11.02.2007 07:58 PM

I really dont get this "cantankerous bastard" image, he's one of the funniest people from the music world there is. Along with Josh Homme and Noel Gallagher.

PAULYBEE2656 11.02.2007 08:03 PM

well he is a funny cantankarous bastard........ we met him at electric picnic. well when i say met, i was sitting down with a fiend outside a tent and mark waded past in the drizzle. i called him and he just turned and said "you should never meet your heroes" shook our hands and walked off. he stunk of fags but it was a cool moment!

the ikara cult 11.02.2007 08:12 PM

Cool, ive never met him. He is one of the few music people i get the impression i would get alot out of meeting. He is far more talented than Josh Homme and Noel Gallagher especially.

PAULYBEE2656 11.02.2007 08:16 PM

i cant really say i met him. it was more a sharing of the same line of sight! but still.. its mark e smith! a fucking legend!

anyway... jools holland!

Danny Himself 11.02.2007 08:17 PM

Yeah, Jools Holland!

As Mark Lamarr would probably say, "twat!".

PAULYBEE2656 11.02.2007 08:19 PM

mark lamaar rules! love tha man. anyone who hates dido as much as he does deserves respect from everyone... a dido free world for all!

Danny Himself 11.02.2007 08:22 PM

I read that as 'a dildo free world for all'.

the ikara cult 11.02.2007 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
I read that as 'a dildo free world for all'.

Not much difference between the two really

Danny Himself 11.02.2007 08:44 PM

Dildos help the world more than Dido ever will.