Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   anyone into boris? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4689)

doctor dan 07.31.2006 01:51 PM

anyone into boris?

i just got 'pink', and im mildly disappointed. i heard 'farewell' beforehand, and was kinda expecting the rest of the album to have a similar vibe, but its mainly got a feel sortof reminiscent of kyuss. still, it heavily rocks. my only other previous exposure to them was the collaboration with merzbow 'sun baked snow cave', which is totally astounding. its such a beautiful landscape that builds up and then releases into a haze of brutal noise washes and feedback, then falls back down to acoustic guitar. i love it.

wax 07.31.2006 01:59 PM

there are another two coloaborations with merzbow.
megatone and 04092001,
maybe check them out if youre not happy with pink.

Lipslikewindows 07.31.2006 01:59 PM

I've also only heard "Farewell" and I thought it was amazing. Was planning on getting "Pink" when I had some cash to spare (spending all my money on getting an EP out right now). Thanks for the heads up.

PAULYBEE2656 07.31.2006 02:57 PM

love em. pink is pretty good for "classic rock"boris. but the one with keiji haino or the merzbow ones are the bomb as they say on telly

Savage Clone 07.31.2006 03:21 PM

I like them a lot. Wata is a fucking incredible guitarist.
I saw them recently with SunnO))) and it was pure Rock Power.
I was also recently given a vinyl copy of their soundtrack to the film "Mabuta No Ura," which is a great listen and a completely gorgeous package.

Toilet & Bowels 07.31.2006 03:33 PM

ignore the other two releases with merzbow, megatone is a totally half-hearted affair, like neither boris or merzbow are sure to do in each other's company and 04092001 is a terribley recorded live album (that's out of print anyway) of boris's most straight forward stoner rock stuff, with merzbow adding a bit of noise in the background. if you want more of the psych/doom/drone monstrosity type stuff check out absolutego+ or dronevil, because they are AWESOME.

Glice 07.31.2006 05:49 PM

Boris. Oh yeah. T&B has said it all really.

Did you catch their show at the Garage last year? Gongs. Bands with gongs will always rule, even if they're shit.

HaydenAsche 07.31.2006 05:55 PM

Dronevil was pretty sweet.

Phlegmscope 07.31.2006 06:29 PM

53 mins of boris live

I might've found the link on this board originally, but if that's the case, I shall re-post it.

Toilet & Bowels 07.31.2006 06:46 PM

at last/feedbacker is also a sweet record.

val-holla-ing 07.31.2006 06:47 PM

"mabuta no ura", "akuma no uta", and "flood" showcase their three sides and each one is pretty damn awesome.

their "heavy metal me" dvd is kinda weird, though, b/c it has a few reaaaally low budget superjapanese cut music videos on it.

golden child 07.31.2006 06:54 PM

there is a keiji haino collab?

fuck me.

val-holla-ing 07.31.2006 06:54 PM

yes. merzbow and mogwai are the same band. merzbow is the american way of saying "mogwai" (an english word). they're cognates.

val-holla-ing 07.31.2006 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golden child

fuck me.

yeah! my only gripe with it, is that the title is "BLACK: implication flooding"

BLACK

ok, mr. haino. we get it...you like black.

Toilet & Bowels 07.31.2006 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel
are merzbow like mogwai?

no. listen to some merzbow clips here:
http://www.alien8recordings.com/necromancer.php3

and here:
http://www.aquariusrecords.org/bin/search.cgi/1|25/Artist=merzbow

Toilet & Bowels 07.31.2006 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golden child

fuck me.

it's one of the weakest haino records i've heard. boris are good and everything, but they aren't on haino's level.

Everyneurotic 07.31.2006 08:57 PM

in my humble opinion you are getting it all wrong:

1)pink is an amazing album, it's very garage punk rawk but then again ALL BORIS' ALBUMS ARE DIFFERENT, they have few albums that sound alike and the ones that do have different vibes (like megatone, sun baked... and dronevil, for example). i love pink because it's so fucking different!!

2) most everything i've heard from boris is amazing because they are all different and they are very good at that. i mean, just listen to them doing the dark heavy ambient drone of, well, dronevil and then hear them at their stoner height on amplifier worship and then listen to the arty whispers of flood and tell me they don't SLAY in all those styles.

3) wata is one of the best guitarists in the world right now, and i mean top 3 guitar players.

4) the merzbow collaborations: megatone i loved because i heard it as being very subdued and minimal to the point of neutralizing characteristic sounds from each of the parties involved, sun baked is more of what you would expect from the both entities and build a cohesive and exciting mass of morphing sound for like an hour. and 04092001 just plainly rocks, i love that they are slaying live lo-fing it; true, you can't hear masami's shit for beans but the tunes just rock, if merzbow wasn't there, you wouldn't know the difference. if you listen to all merzbow+boris collabs with a sound in mind, you are going to get disappointed but these are experiments...i guess 04092001 is the only disappointing one because merzbow is mostly absent in sound, but the others are amazing.

i haven't had the chance to really listen and give the attention deserving of black (implication flooding) so i can't really comment on that.

drrrtyboots 07.31.2006 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
it's one of the weakest haino records i've heard. boris are good and everything, but they aren't on haino's level.

Truest thing i've ever heard. Haino collaborates with some odd musicians though, ones that seem so unlike him to do. And he does a lot of weird solo stuff too like that album of him playing drums.

Everyneurotic 07.31.2006 09:03 PM

the most disappointing haino collaboration record i've heard so far is the new rap with yoshida tatsuya, i only liked like one song from it.

drrrtyboots 07.31.2006 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
the most disappointing haino collaboration record i've heard so far is the new rap with yoshida tatsuya, i only liked like one song from it.

I just heard that for the first time a few days ago and i was pretty dissappointed too. Two of the best japanese musicians and most talented musicians in general and I expected a lot better. But a lot of "super" lineups or groups put out letdowns of collaborations. Nothing beats Fushitsusha. Nothing.