Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Washing Machine (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=39679)

BushIsAPsycho 05.03.2010 05:01 PM

Washing Machine

man do i get blown away by this album every time

hevusa 05.03.2010 05:10 PM

one of their best in my opinion.

BushIsAPsycho 05.03.2010 05:35 PM

I'm on Panty Lines, but am looking forward to diamond seas.

chrome noise tape 05.03.2010 06:24 PM

no queen blues

dazedcola 05.03.2010 06:59 PM

this album is so deceptively simple but there's really so much going on in it. Easily one of my fav sy lps. When are they gonna deluxe edition this shit and restore becuz to its full glory bc that untitled track stuffed at the 2nd half feels so out of place!

EVOLghost 05.03.2010 08:37 PM

washing machine(the song) is awesome.

cagedbird 05.03.2010 08:59 PM

one of kim's finest moments.

after the chaos of ejst&ns, washing machine was more finished

i like to think of memphis (where it was recorded)

Chris Lawrence 05.04.2010 01:43 AM

a special record indeed.

shabbray2.0 05.04.2010 08:27 AM

murray street > ATL > washing machine > everything else.
damn, where the hell is DDN and NYC G&F?
have to rethink this

deflinus 05.04.2010 10:58 AM

hello! 20! 15!

jnic 05.04.2010 11:19 AM

Unwind is just a prefect song!

DanielCarlson 05.04.2010 11:34 AM

It's not among their better albums. Some of the songs are quite annoying, while others are fantastic. I'm not very fond of the album as a whole.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.04.2010 11:40 AM

My favorite.

Rob Instigator 05.04.2010 11:53 AM

bottom-tier of SY albums.

half the songs are boring.

chicka 05.04.2010 02:54 PM

yeah but even if (and I don't agree) half the songs are boring the majestic song that the Diamond Sea is clearly pushes the album into the upper echelon of SY albums. I can't think of anyone in here who doesn't include the Diamond Sea in their top 5 SY songs....

Rob Instigator 05.04.2010 03:24 PM

Oh fuck yeah.
Diamond Sea is the SHIT.

Here is my run down.

BECUZ - Love this song. Great album starter.
Junkie's Promise - like this song too. dig the riff skronk, and when SS Beat Patrol kicks in.
SAUCER-LIKE - fucking great Lee song as well.
Washing Machine - this is where my trouble starts. It feels like those shitty hip hop skits between songs. It has alright atmosphere but it can be left off and I would not be upset.
UNWIND - Not a bad song but a snoozer. reminds me of the slow tepid parts of Murray Street. It feels out of place to me. would have preferred a RAGING song after the "skit" of Washing Machine. love the noise though.
LITTLE TROUBLE GIRL - another snoozer. while I enjoy the mood of it, to hear it after Unwind and after washing machine just makes me skip past it.
NO QUEEN BLUES - Back to what I like. Love the intro, and I dig the whole song especially the chaotic ending.
PANTY LIES - nothing special.
SKIP TRACER - love love LOVE this fucking song. HELLO 2015!!!!! Back to what I LOVE!!!!!!!!
Diamond Sea - what can I say???? GREATNESS

there are three songs that would benefit the album as a whole in my opinion if removed.

Chris Lawrence 05.04.2010 07:22 PM

no idea what you're on about re: 'skit' nature of the title track... i dig the first part but man, when that outro starts i just get lost. possibly my favorite SY instrumental section ever. there's so many little parts i wait for on that song, the sound of thurston rockin' the wah-vol while lee gets that real screechy feedback and steve and kim hold down the rhythm is just...aaah...sonic.

the guitar interplay on 'becuz' is some of my favorite ever, too. 'saucer-like' is genius, as is 'skip tracer'. i waver on whether i'm crazy about 'junkie's promise' until i hear it, the instrumentals (particularly the outro) are fantastic. gotta dig lee's sick leads on 'no queen'. i love 'unwind' as a whole.

'panty lies' is an oddity but i like steve's drumming and lee's guitar work, in particular. i used to loathe 'trouble girl' but find it quite enchanting now, still don't know wtf they were thinking making it a single though...

'diamond sea' is what it is. to be honest i burnt out on this one for quite a while but it really is a special song, great guitar parts, 'intelligent noise', and great melody on top of it all.

the last 5 minutes or so of the title track though, shit. i could spin that for hours.

(that was kinda supposed to be a washing machine joke but since i'm going out of my way to point it out i clearly don't have much faith in it.)

((also, that sleepaway camp sig is hilarious))

logicalharm 05.04.2010 07:34 PM

It's probably in my top 3! Diamond Sea is a masterpiece, of course. Lots of people seem to dislike Little Trouble Girl, but I really like it's cool creepy atmosphere, not to mention I've always have an affinity for Kim Deal's voice for whatever reason.

DanielCarlson 05.05.2010 11:02 AM

I think Rob sum things up pretty fucking good. I agree with him about every song, except Junkie's Promise which I'm not fond of, and Panty Lies which I think is horrible. It's the song I hate, it's the song I hate.

deflinus 05.05.2010 08:54 PM

panty lies embodies the broken song structure that make sonic youth sonic youth