Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   7" (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4524)

lovesonicevol 07.26.2006 11:46 AM

7"

I just ordered the Helen Lundeberg/Eyeliner 7" along with 150$ of other Sonic Stuff. There's just one problem about the vinyl..........I have no turn table at the moment. I just wanted to know how great these tracks are. I read the lyrics and they do seem raw and vicious. Damn I want listen.............anyways, what's the verdict from you sonic masses?

soniknirve 07.26.2006 11:48 AM

helen lundeberg owns, eyeliner blows. end of discussion...

lovesonicevol 07.26.2006 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soniknirve
helen lundeberg owns, eyeliner blows. end of discussion...

Who sings on which tracks?

soniknirve 07.26.2006 12:00 PM

thurston sings on both...

lovesonicevol 07.26.2006 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soniknirve
thurston sings on both...

Damn..........was kind of hoping for a Kim track.

gmku 07.26.2006 12:07 PM

Hold the vinyl very close to your ear in the dark. Listen closely.

If this doesn't work, spin it around with the hole over the thumb of one hand, and with the other hand, carefully take the point of an opened safety pin and lower it to the spinning vinyl.

gmku 07.26.2006 12:08 PM

Seriously, though, instead of spending 150 bucks on other SY stuff, you could have spent that on a turntable at Best Buy.

Pax Americana 07.26.2006 12:12 PM

Helen Lundeburg is awesome, Eyeliner... meh... not so much.

You could always... download them?

lovesonicevol 07.26.2006 12:15 PM

I'll be getting a turntable very soon.............had one but it was like an antique one and died on me. I bought this 7" with forgetting about this obstacle.

lovesonicevol 07.26.2006 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pax Americana
Helen Lundeburg is awesome, Eyeliner... meh... not so much.

You could always... download them?

I would, but I try to stay away from digital unless it's not available on any format. Not sure why, but I would just rather buy everything. I might have to download if the turntable fund keeps getting spent on CDs...

Lipslikewindows 07.26.2006 12:59 PM

Do you have a receiver already? I got a great Technics for $10 on ebay! works amazingly and the cartridge, while not great, is totally decent.

nomadicfollower 07.26.2006 01:00 PM

I had a chance to get it when I saw them play, for $5 even, but I didn't.

fluxequalsrad 07.26.2006 02:37 PM

Eyeliner OWNS Helen Lundeberg....both amazing tracks.

finding nobody 07.26.2006 02:39 PM

i love both helen lundberg and eyeliner.

lovesonicevol 07.26.2006 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
I had a chance to get it when I saw them play, for $5 even, but I didn't.

What other new sonic stuff is for sale at the shows and what are the prices like? I'm seeing them on the 6th of august.

nomadicfollower 07.26.2006 02:49 PM

From what I remember, there was an array of shirts, from RR (multiple colors), sonic nurse, and more. Most records were for sell, as well. One book of Lee's (don't know which one). Maybe some stickers.
I didn't spend much time at the tables 'cause I wanted a place close to the stage.

terminal pharmacy 07.26.2006 10:47 PM

eyeliner takes me back to that sister sy sound in a way and murray street (of course) in another. it is a killer track, i bought the 7" and copied them to cd immediately.

i don't have a turntable at home had to take them to work, hence the copying to cd

Cantankerous 07.26.2006 10:49 PM

for $4 you can't beat it.

Ghost of Guitars Past 07.27.2006 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovesonicevol
I just ordered the Helen Lundeberg/Eyeliner 7" along with 150$ of other Sonic Stuff. There's just one problem about the vinyl..........I have no turn table at the moment. I just wanted to know how great these tracks are. I read the lyrics and they do seem raw and vicious. Damn I want listen.............anyways, what's the verdict from you sonic masses?

Lundeberg, Eyeliner and alt mix of Rapture are on the Japanese CD, so you can always buy the import to get the bonus tracks. Honestly, I think Lundeberg is one of their best songs in a very long time. Musically, it's a throwback to their mid '80s style--very comfortable and familiar. Eyeliner is also interesting musically as well, and I like Thurston's vocal delivery on it; unfortunately, his lyrics are pretty clunky and stupid (burnt english muffin crunches nicely between the teeth??? wtf).

I dunno, these were supposedly among the last tracks recorded at Echo Canyon, so it makes me wonder how RR would have developed if they could have just rolled tape and recorded more freely.