Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Your Top 5 Records That Could Never Be in a Top 5 of Whatever Genre List (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=28419)

Dead-Air 12.03.2008 01:12 AM

Your Top 5 Records That Could Never Be in a Top 5 of Whatever Genre List

You know records that either defies categorization, or so thoroughly creates it's own that nobody has even tried to imitate it. Not stuff that can be easily labeled as "experimental music" either.

1. Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica
2. Sun Cit Girls - Horse Cock Phepner
3. Bongwater - Double Bummer
4. Ramsey Lewis - Mother Nature's Son
5. Sonic Youth - Master Dik

Sonic Youth 37 12.03.2008 01:23 AM

This is a good one. I'll try to give an explanation for each.

1. Marquee Moon - Television (outside of decade, I can't put this album in a category. I've tried for years. It's not like punk, it's not like post-punk. It's just Television. I guess I could only call it a near-perfect guitar album.)
2. Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons - Blonde Redhead (Once again I have no idea what to call it. It has a lot of pop sensibilities and noise elements but refuses to fit neatly or even haphazardly into either of those)
3. Filigree & Shadow - This Mortal Coil (Goth/DreamPop supergroup? I have no clue)
4. Chorus - lovesliescrushing (This isn't a shoegaze album. I'm not sure it's an ambient album. It's too soft to be noise. It could be all the same tracks and I'd hardly know the difference.)
5. Dogs Blood Rising - Current 93 (I have no idea what to call this but fucking scary. I still love it though)

atsonicpark 12.03.2008 01:33 AM

I dunno. Almost everything I love is difficult to label.

"Chorus" is so great, sonic youth 37. One of the best albums ever! Jesus Christ!

fugazifan 12.03.2008 01:54 AM

off the top of my head
any SCG album
climax golden twins-the rock album, crazy diverse album, similar in ideals to the SCG. a bit of everything
id also say gastr del sol-upgrade and afterlife. i dont think that they fit into any realy category

Dead-Air 12.03.2008 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fugazifan
off the top of my head
any SCG album
climax golden twins-the rock album, crazy diverse album, similar in ideals to the SCG. a bit of everything
id also say gastr del sol-upgrade and afterlife. i dont think that they fit into any realy category

I wouldn't say any Sun City Girls album. Some of their records are pretty firmly rooted in one genre or another (A Bullet through the Last Temple is pretty much a jazz record for instance, while Valentines for Matahari is essentially a noise rock album). That said, they probably have more albums that defy categorization than any other group or artist overall.

RdTv 12.03.2008 08:05 AM

Brian Eno - Another Green World
Moondog - H'Art Songs
Ornette Coleman - Dancing In Your Head

Umm, thats it for now.

batreleaser 12.03.2008 09:00 AM

hahaha, rad.

the residents-meet the residents
caroliner-open wound chorale "rise of the common woodpile"
costes-katai udon (hard noodle)
the ceramic hobs-psychiatric underground
stockhausen-microphonie

batreleaser 12.03.2008 09:03 AM

i just mentioned albums i love that blatantly seek to defy categorization, most music if you wanted to you could descrive it one way or another, but throw on any costes and it really presses you to consider it music after the first few listens, until you realize its so dementedly inventive and perfect AND fun. thats what i love more about avant stuff like beefheart and the residents and scg and caroliner and costes and boredoms more than (insert random electronic harsh noise profect here) just because however wierd the music gets, its never gets too serious.

PAULYBEE2656 12.03.2008 10:52 AM

negativland- over the edge vol 5
negativland- a big 10-8 place
negativland- over the edge vol 6
negativland- escape from noise
negativland- helter stupid

fugazifan 12.03.2008 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
hahaha, rad.

the residents-meet the residents
caroliner-open wound chorale "rise of the common woodpile"
costes-katai udon (hard noodle)
the ceramic hobs-psychiatric underground
stockhausen-microphonie

i cant belive i forgot the residents... songs 2-6 from that album, the ones that are like one big song, fucking amazing. really really brilliant.
and dead air, i agree, its just hard for me to pick one album of theirs...
probably TOM or 330000....

Death & the Maiden 12.04.2008 05:42 AM

Einstuerzende Neubauten - Haus der Luege
It's got industrial, dance, ambient, electronic, spoken word, more than anything I guess it's atmospheric, and it's my favourite album ever.
I can't think of anymore.

alteredcourse 12.04.2008 03:05 PM

Does anyone know where I could download that album, chorus by lovesliescrushing...cant seem to find it at mininova or megadownload... I'm very curious to hear it.

Sonic Youth 37 12.04.2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alteredcourse
Does anyone know where I could download that album, chorus by lovesliescrushing...cant seem to find it at mininova or megadownload... I'm very curious to hear it.

I'll up it for you in a bit.

alteredcourse 12.04.2008 03:41 PM

If you've got the time, man! Thanks!

Sonic Youth 37 12.04.2008 03:57 PM

Chorus - lovesliescrushing
https://www.yousendit.com/download/T...dEN6NElLSkE9PQ

NWRA 12.04.2008 04:27 PM

Sonic Youth - The Whitey Album.
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing (I included it in a list of my favourite hiphop albums but it isn't really hiphop is it?).
Public Image - Flowers Of Romance.
Free Kitten - Inherit.
TV On The Radio - Return To Cookie Mountain.

Glice 12.04.2008 04:31 PM

The Shaggs - Philosophy of the world.
Alfred Schnittke - symphony no 3
Allen Patterson - symphony no 8
Atari Teenage Riot - The Future of war!!!
Tommy Potts - complete recordings.

Obviously, bit of a silly thread. Anyone else heard Potts? I can't place him for the life of me. John Doherty's in a similar vein as well.

Rob Instigator 12.04.2008 04:48 PM

Dead Air, this is the best thread in a while.

Rob's top 5 LPs that fit no typical list criteria

Cornelius - Fantasma

Morphine - Cure For Pain

Phish - Lawnboy

Dead Milkmen - Bucky Fellini

GODFLESH - Streetcleaner

mangajunky 12.04.2008 04:49 PM

Redd Kross - Neurotica
Screamin' Jay Hawkins - Frenzy
Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass - Goin' Places
Ratt - Out of the Cellar
Echobelly - On

Glice 12.04.2008 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Dead Air, this is the best thread in a while.

Rob's top 5 LPs that fit no typical list criteria

Cornelius - Fantasma

Morphine - Cure For Pain

Phish - Lawnboy

Dead Milkmen - Bucky Fellini

GODFLESH - Streetcleaner

D'you know, I know exactly what you mean? In spite of my thinking that they're all shit (except Godflesh), I can see what you're getting at.