Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Animal Collective - Fall Be Kind EP (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=36832)

Skuj 12.29.2009 01:57 AM

Animal Collective - Fall Be Kind EP

Forgiveness if I missed a thread on this?

I haven't heard it yet, but there does seem to be quite a buzz amongst Those Who Recognize The Greatness Of MPP. :)

As a starting point, if you tacked these 5 tracks onto the end of MPP, would it be a seamless masterpiece?

dionysusundone 12.29.2009 02:25 AM

I was fairly indifferent to MPP but I think this one is fucking TERRIBLE.

automatic bzooty 12.29.2009 02:43 AM

i liked MPP... though it took a while. this i'm indifferent to, it's like aural wallpaper or something. nothing hooks me.

loubarret 12.29.2009 03:43 AM

I think it's better then weather

wellcharge 12.29.2009 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by automatic bzooty
i liked MPP... though it took a while. this i'm indifferent to, it's like aural wallpaper or something. nothing hooks me.

wallpaper is pasted on, moran

atsonicpark 12.29.2009 05:02 AM

MPP is boring and kinda sucky. This ep is somewhat interesting though. This band hasn't done anything truly great since tongs though, imo. I mean, this band is kinda boring, period.

SuperCreep 12.29.2009 05:14 AM

I liked the first two tracks and that's about it. Kinda boring.

SYRFox 12.29.2009 06:11 AM

At first I kind of disliked it, I wasn't too into some vocal effects, but finally I came to really enjoy it as I was listening to it more often.
I still prefer the BBC version of On A Highway though.
Also, the packaging is really beautiful.

I would not put those five tracks at the end of MPP though. I think what's great about Animal Collective is that they - at least since Water Curses - are able to put cohesion into their EPs. Like they work as a whole, with a good flow between the tracks, etc. This EP really has its specific atmosphere, which I don't think would go great with MPP. That said, some guy on the Collected Animals board did it; here's its tracklist:
1. In the Flowers
2. My Girls
3. Also Frightened
4. Graze
5. What Would I Want? Sky?
6. Summertime Clothes
7. Bleed
8. Daily Routine
9. Bluish
10. On a Highway
11. Guys Eyes
12. Taste
13. I Think I Can
14. Lion in a Coma
15. No More Runnin'
16. Brother Sport

Derek 12.29.2009 06:16 AM

This EP is cringe worthy. The only bit with a proper hook was that "What Would I Want? Sky?" song and even that irritated me. Not that I'm saying you need hooks in your music as I certainly don't have hooks in mine, but I don't think Animal Collective can pull it off without having a hook (like that 10 minute track on Sung Tongs... that is dull).

loubarret 12.29.2009 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
MPP is boring and kinda sucky. This ep is somewhat interesting though. This band hasn't done anything truly great since tongs though, imo. I mean, this band is kinda boring, period.

You like repeating yourself?

We already know you dislike the album but you don't need to repeat it everytime AC comes up in a conversation on here.

So please, quit it.

Derek 12.29.2009 06:31 AM

He's allowed to say he dislikes the album as much as you're allowed to say you like the album! Aha!

loubarret 12.29.2009 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
He's allowed to say he dislikes the album as much as you're allowed to say you like the album! Aha!

Well it gets irritating after the 10th time

Derek 12.29.2009 06:50 AM

It also gets irritating when the topic of this album comes up a billion times jeeeez.

Besides, you wouldn't find it irritating if he was SHOWERING the album with praise! Are you sure you just don't like his opinion or something?

Trasher02 12.29.2009 07:04 AM

I'm kinda fed up with AC nowadays though I might pick up the EP if I ever come across it.

loubarret 12.29.2009 07:21 AM

Quote:

Besides, you wouldn't find it irritating if he was SHOWERING the album with praise! Are you sure you just don't like his opinion or something?

Lol dude.

Just lol, even then it would be useless repetation. And I already said my opion so yeah, no need to repeat it.

DanielCarlson 12.29.2009 08:09 AM

I like it, don't know if it's better than MPP (probably not) but it's solid. I really like On A Highway.

noisereductions 12.29.2009 08:12 AM

I love MPP. The EP is good. I don't like the idea of tacking the tracks on. Animal Collective is very aware of sequencing, which is why the EP tracks were cut from MPP. They definitely plan their EP's as mini-albums, which is how they work best.

SYRFox 12.29.2009 08:39 AM

@Derek: yeah, I'm sorry but I've got to agree with loubarret there... I mean, adam is probably the member who talks the most about MPP, while he's probably the one who thinks it sucks the most!
Also
Quote:

It also gets irritating when the topic of this album comes up a billion times jeeeez.

it's really not that hard to ignore a thread...

that said, of course he's got the right to tell his opinion 10 or 20,000 times if he wants to, but I don't really see the point...

Derek 12.29.2009 09:29 AM

Haha fair enough, I don't really care either way :)

Decayed Rhapsody 12.29.2009 11:34 AM

This one is probably their worst. I just totally dislike them. And the people that write fucking academic breathless panegyrics about their work. Their aesthetic, their commitment to creating a yelpy escapist fantasy world of happyhappyhappy, it's just totally inoffensive stuff. Pretty much sums up the passivity of this generation.