Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NYC Ghosts & Flowers has blown me away (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=85017)

Rob Instigator 12.10.2012 01:26 PM

NYC Ghosts & Flowers has blown me away

Been rocking the Youth at lunch and the title track NYC Ghosts & Flowers has exploded in my brain

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.10.2012 02:28 PM

the way it creeps into your head with the slow build up of Free City Rhymes and then abruptly erupts into renegade princess only to mellow out again with Never Mind and bends sideways like an ode to William Burroughs with Small Flowers Crack Concrete and then to go full on acid wave with Side2Side and StreamSonicSubway with Lee fucking with us on NYC Ghosts into a cathartic frenzy of bewilderment and pure synesthesia. Which is why at that point, Lightning finally makes sense.

Rob Instigator 12.10.2012 02:49 PM

yes yes yes yes

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.10.2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
yes yes yes yes

This album was part of my Sonic revival, not just chronologically because it came after ATL, but because in the brief interlude between ATL and NYC Ghosts & Flowers I lost my Sonic way and got caught up in punk and hardcore. Then my girlfriend bought me this disc for my birthday, I think in 2002. Shit. She thought I wouldn't like it because of all the spoken-word style and experimental styles, but quite the opposite, I was mesmerized, hypnotized into submission. I just didn't realize music could at once be (a) so beautiful and yet (b) so weird and yet (c) so delightfully bewildering. ATL was a mystical adventure to be sure, but it seemed to be less free-associative as NYC Ghosts&Flowers was.

Three things directly inspired my to pick up the guitar and create.

The first is the 1990s Nirvana Book of Tab, which was so fucking great its unbelievable. I didn't even own a guitar, I had an ergonomic wrist guard for my computer keyboard which was the same size as a fretboard, and I practiced the chords and fingerings on that in between those rare moments I had access to an actual guitar.

The second was NYC Ghosts and Flowers, because I was so inspired by the idea of experimenting subtly with a blend of feedback and yet intricate patterns and structures.

The final push was when I saw Shannon Wright play essentially a blend of Sonic Youth experimentation and feedback improv with the angst and edge of Nirvana. What was more important than just her sound, was that she was a two-piece, just guitar and drums. I never in a million years would have believed anyone would have even took a two-piece (white stripes aside) seriously until that moment of convergence at her show in the end of 2002. I had that epiphany of, "I can do that. I WANT to do that."

Ever since for better or worse I have been attached to the two-piece format, guitar and drums. To be sure, Sleater-Kinney helped me stay confident that you don't need a bass as a rhythmic foundation, but what motivated me perpetually was that drive to experiment like Sonic Youth and to keep it going like Shannon Wright.

I skipped Murray Street because I didn't really dig it, but when Sonic Nurse came out, that was a watershed moment for me. Sonic Nurse is still perhaps my all-time favorite stand alone album because of all the combined experiences associated with that album. Thank you Sonic Youth, we love you more than you can realize in our short lifetimes on this planet called Earf..

Dr Chocolate 12.10.2012 04:35 PM

i must give that album another chance.
i've owned it a couple times, but just cant get into it
dont think i've owned it in many years

logicalharm 12.10.2012 04:47 PM

It may be my favorite song of theirs.

Actually...if it wasn't for the existence of Mote it would most CERTAINLY be my favorite song of theirs.

The buildup feels like it can rip a hole into the sky

Rob Instigator 12.10.2012 04:53 PM

Yes indeed logicalharmsss.

It took a cold day, and a long bus ride, for me to soak the entire NYC album up. It was indeed something I kept on back burner for too long. Blows Murray Snooze out the water.

noisereductions 12.10.2012 05:01 PM

"NYC G&F" is osme ol' folk bullshit.

kidding...

Rob I love you. That's awesome that you still have SY stuff that is hitting you like new a decade later. :)

I've always been a huge huge huge fan of NYCG&F (the album). I actually had some random SY albums/singles in high school, but it wasn't until right before NYCG&F was released that I fell hard in love with the band. Started buying every album and VHS and single and side-project and book etc I could find. So that was the first album they put out where they were MY FAVORITE band y'know? Becuase of that there is always this really special link I have to that album. It was the first SY album I had that "looking forward to" feeling and got on day one (vinyl and CD!) and it still blows my mind -- the whole album not just that song.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.10.2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Yes indeed logicalharmsss.

It took a cold day, and a long bus ride, for me to soak the entire NYC album up. It was indeed something I kept on back burner for too long. Blows Murray Snooze out the water.

Very often this album is my soundtrack to my morning commute on the light rail.. it is such a harmonic convergence to listen to this album on the train, both this and King of Limbs only came to me while listening on the train/bus

spenno 12.11.2012 12:44 AM

Listened to this today.

Really great record, agree that it kicks the shit out of Murray Street.

jlnpgt 12.11.2012 03:38 AM

I love that album and I always did.
for me there's an 'at night' feeling which is really particular to this album. It feels like they recorded it late at night if you know what I mean.
The song NYCG&F is one of the greatest SY songs.
Sometimes this album also reminds me Gainsbourg's Melody Nelson...

SonicBebs 12.11.2012 09:03 AM

I fucking love this album, and i fucking love how an album can sound so fresh and exciting 10 years later. I have a hell of a lot of love for NYCGAF. I cannot believe how beautiful Free City Rhymes is. NYCGAF is probably in my top 5 songs ever by anyone. ever.

its an album which grew on me (and i guess alot of other people?) slowly. i think thats why it's so special, i feel like it was a discovery. Like the best sy, the madness and confusion exploded into something so beautiful that was mine.
None of my friends are into sy much and so other than you lot the music is kind of my secret.

this album, the track Washing Machine and Sympathy for the Strawberry are so unreal it fucks me up.

tripsk 12.11.2012 11:33 AM

I don't get all the hate for it honestly

Skuj 12.12.2012 01:46 AM

Well isn't this fuckin lovely? NYCG+F doesn't suck afterall. I always adored this motherfucker. It's beat and arty in a way that says "fuck you".

Screaming Skull 12.12.2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj
Well isn't this fuckin lovely? NYCG+F doesn't suck afterall. I always adored this motherfucker. It's beat and arty in a way that says "fuck you".

Nah, it sucks. Let's not kid ourselves. A few fan-boy posts does not change the fact that it's SY's worst album. Seriously.

noisereductions 12.12.2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Screaming Skull
Nah, it sucks. Let's not kid ourselves. A few fan-boy posts does not change the fact that it's SY's worst album. Seriously.

I don't think it's their worst. At all.

SYR4 is their worst. It's a good idea on paper, but I can never seem to fully enjoy listening to it. Though I try every year.

Rob Instigator 12.12.2012 11:19 AM

NYC rules more and more.

"worst" is a subjective term.

so many fans cannot listen to Confusion, or RR, or whatever. for me, the album I like least is EJST&NS. I really do not like it.

NYCG&F beats jetset like a mofo

EVOLghost 12.12.2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions

SYR4 is their worst. It's a good idea on paper, but I can never seem to fully enjoy listening to it. Though I try every year.

Probably the most legit SY-related post I've ever read...

because seriously....that shit is quite the snoozfest.

Dr Chocolate 12.12.2012 05:24 PM

i'd rather take another shot at NYC then Jason Knuth Sessions again
but then again, i can listen to Confusion over and over
in fact. i may have over the years.
just depends on what kinda mood i'm in

i believe the only studio album i haven't heard or owned is Murray Street
so i guess i can't say what's a crappy album then
alot of my friends can't handle Sonic Youth because it's too harsh for them
coming from people who like Butthole Surfers & Primus, i dont get it
it should be right up their alley. but whatever.

and now i'm curious about SYR4 just cause it's a snoozer
so it should be something good to pass out while listening

Rob Instigator 12.12.2012 05:35 PM

I used to listen to silver sessions for Jason Knuth on headphones while doing my home computing. it really would drive a worm wedge into my lower consciousness...
After a while I began to love that skronk. It is most def not for everyone though.