Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Do you have a band????? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=72)

acousticrock87 07.10.2008 12:06 AM

My ascendent is supposed to be Leo, but that doesn't describe me at all. It's like the opposite.

Everyneurotic 07.10.2008 12:06 AM

i do I/C/O/C by myself, live and on record, and while yeah there's this "oh fuck what am i going to do?" feeling before every show, i usually go nuts and have a blast. i don't second guess it.

Cantankerous 07.10.2008 12:07 AM

did you enter what time you're actually born or did you leave it at 12:00

because it changes every hour or two

acousticrock87 07.10.2008 12:09 AM

Yeah I did. Gemini 9:45 AM. I'm definitely a Gemini ascendant, if going by accuracy.

Cantankerous 07.10.2008 12:10 AM

based upon what i see here that's a fair assumption

acousticrock87 07.10.2008 12:26 AM

So you've said.

I'm apparently more transparent online. Or it might just be miss analytical Scorpio and her obsession with horoscopes.

The Scorpio list of less-than-desirable traits is awesome. I'm jealous. You should be proud of every one. But now we know you're all emotional at heart. Weak.

Cantankerous 07.10.2008 12:43 AM

i am extremely analytical

scorpio is my rising sign
pisces is my sun sign but the scorp description fits me to a t,.

samuel 07.10.2008 10:07 AM

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

most of the tracks are some friends and I just messing around
if you do bother to check it out, listen to &, happy, and nt8 (on page 2) and let me know what you think

also, the recording quality sucks, so be prepared to adjust the volume

Cantankerous 07.12.2008 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
(if i can find someone who can sing great gig in the sky because i sure as fuck can't).

actually i just discovered that i can. this makes my life easier and harder at the same time.

MellySingsDoom 07.12.2008 02:14 AM

If I ever have a civil partnership, I humbly request that you fly over to the Yoo-Kay to sing that to me and my beloved (fuck the God-bothering nonsense). You will of course be paid handsomely for your efforts (ie no more post-dated cheques, first class from NYC to London, etc) Hmm....looks like I better start saving up for that now!

Cantankerous 07.12.2008 02:14 AM

i would do it for free

i've got a bit of trouble hitting the really high notes though

MellySingsDoom 07.12.2008 02:22 AM

Ah, you're too kind, sweetie. The only way I could reciprocate is coming to your wedding and playing Skullflower cover versions to you and your hubby on your big day.....hmmm, maybe not, eh? :D

Boring Melly-nostalgia time: My Dad usd to play that LP wayyyy back in the 70's, and I LOVED Claire Torry's voice on "Great Gig....". Come 1988, and I was knee deep in Big Black/SY/Butthole Surfers, and it was de rigeur for the indie-punk types to sneer at that LP. Being a sheep at the time, I joined in the anti-PF baaing, but I always had a soft spot for that tune (that, and "On The Run") - thank Christ for growing up, stopping being a oafish twat, and being able to enjoy tunes like that again....I have a theory about "the kids" having far more diverse and unbigoted tastes today than they did in my day, but I won't bore you with that now.

Cantankerous 07.12.2008 02:24 AM

clare torry has absolutely the most beautiful voice my ears have ever heard

i'm going to practice up on that song, learn how to hit the high notes and get a bit of the scratchiness of my voice out before i grow the balls to sing it live

like bob dylan says, "you can make your voice do anything you want it to"

MellySingsDoom 07.12.2008 02:30 AM

Bob Dylan hasn't heard Melly murdering songs at Melly Towers, or at a stag do in Brighton last week (My mate Martin (he who was just in Berlin) was there too, and he took the piss out of me last night for "singing" the guitar solo on "Ace Of Spades" at our karaoke session in Brighton. Oops :o)

I'm always impressed by people who can actually sing. Make sure you record yourself when you feel ready to kick out the jams on that one, live

Cantankerous 07.12.2008 02:32 AM

i will definitely record it

once i get it down good enough i'll do it in garage band and post it

this is brilliant, by the way, even though it's the australian pink floyd.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=InOpOHfSt40&feature=related

MellySingsDoom 07.12.2008 02:39 AM

God, that's so beautiful I felt like crying. Thanks for making an old geezer's day, Cantanky :)

I missed the Aussie PF this time round, but am definitely going to see 'em in 2009.

Cantankerous 07.12.2008 02:44 AM

oz pink floyd are excellent at what they do, but when they play careful with that axe, eugene no one screeches in the middle of it!

MellySingsDoom 07.12.2008 02:46 AM

What??? Well, I hope you screeched in the middle of it for them. You could get away with it by saying you were jamming on one with the band, kind of like a performance art piece.

Cantankerous 07.12.2008 02:48 AM

if they need to hire someone to do that screech i'd be the one to do it

because i know how waters did it

you see, instead of exhaling, you have to keep your vocal chords open and inhale but at the same time just let it out
it's very difficult, but it sounds extremely demonic if done properly

MellySingsDoom 07.12.2008 02:53 AM

Yeah, it does sound hellish, espesh on "Live at Pompeii". You can do that, too? Me impressed.

On the female singer front, check out the first Patty Waters LP on ESP. The last song, "Black Is The Colour Of My True Love's Hair" is devastating - powerful and emotive. You'd love it.