Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Ex... ????? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=7889)

A Thousand Threads 11.10.2006 04:58 AM

The Ex... ?????

They play here this Saturday and i was thinking about going to see them.
What do you think, are they worth the 10 € the gig will cost?
Has anyone seen em live?

nomadicfollower 11.10.2006 10:17 AM

I've never seen them live, but they're an amazing band and I think they'd really be worth seeing. Go.

narlus 11.10.2006 06:41 PM

the only time i did see 'em was when they opened for SY in chicago. mid 90s, i am guessing. i saw like-minded compatriots the Dog Faced Hermans a couple of times.

sun city girl 11.10.2006 06:50 PM

never seen them but i know they're great.

amerikangod 11.11.2006 02:47 AM

They're playing the U.S. too.

I have tickets for the Dec. 13th show in New York and the Dec. 15 show at Maxwell's.

Last time they came around I missed them because I already had tickets to see Lightning Bolt and Afrirampo.

Пятхъдесят Шест 11.11.2006 01:31 PM

Probably my favorite band (probably). And the band in which I have the most releases from. I do so love them!

However seeing them live seems like something I will never be able to do, as their US tours are usually on the East Coast, and I refuse to travel THAT far for a concert.

GravitySlips 11.11.2006 02:15 PM

I have a couple of their albums and they're both fantastic. It's hard to find their stuff tho, even on soulseek. I'm sure their show would be great.

Пятхъдесят Шест 11.11.2006 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GravitySlips
I have a couple of their albums and they're both fantastic. It's hard to find their stuff tho, even on soulseek. I'm sure their show would be great.

You can buy everything direct from them online. Or find a nice Dutchmen to buy their stuff for you from Holland, I've done this on a few occasions.

GravitySlips 11.11.2006 02:24 PM

Yeah, when I get some money I'm gonna buy Mudbird Shivers.

Does anyone know which albums Albini produced?

Пятхъдесят Шест 11.11.2006 02:35 PM

Starters Alternators
Dizzy Spells
Turn

All Albini produced, and I'm tired of it!

You know, I could upload Mudbird Shivers and send it to you via yousendit. If you'd like?

pokkeherrie 11.12.2006 12:33 PM

I've seen them many times in different line-ups and collaborations and they've always been a great live band. This year I've seen them twice, once playing a set of new songs and once as The EX Orchestra with
Ethiopean guest musicians. The latter gig was great, the other one was still good, but also the first time in around 10 times that they somewhat disappointed me... their contrabassist Rozemarie has left (who replaced original bassist Luc in 2002) and they're now playing as a 4 piece without bass, using baritone guitars to compensate. I had the impression they still felt a bit uncomfortable to the new situation, also playing almost exclusively new songs. But that was in january, so hopefully that's gone by now. Anyway, I'm curious for their next album, wondering how it will sound.

I'm also glad they're continuing the live soundtrack for A Clockwork Orange theatre performances next year because I missed it the first time around. The song on their myspace sounds promising (although the lyrics are in dutch so it may not be that interesting to most)
http://www.myspace.com/theexnl

pokkeherrie 11.12.2006 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by narlus
the only time i did see 'em was when they opened for SY in chicago. mid 90s, i am guessing. i saw like-minded compatriots the Dog Faced Hermans a couple of times.

The Dog Faced Hermans were a good band, however not Dutch. They were Scottish, but moved to Amsterdam and hailed from there. They toured/played/collaborated a lot with The EX though and after they broke up their guitarist Andy joined The EX fulltime. Their bassist was (or still is?) the sound guy for The EX I believe and also still plays bass for them occasionally, now that they're a 4 piece again. I've seen him twice playing with them in the last year and a half.

A Thousand Threads 11.12.2006 01:54 PM

Ok, i went.
it was a really good show, not mind blowing but still worth the time.

Пятхъдесят Шест 11.12.2006 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
... their contrabassist Rozemarie has left (who replaced original bassist Luc in 2002) and they're now playing as a 4 piece without bass, using baritone guitars to compensate. I had the impression they still felt a bit uncomfortable to the new situation, also playing almost exclusively new songs. But that was in january, so hopefully that's gone by now. Anyway, I'm curious for their next album, wondering how it will sound.

I can't wait to hear the new album! It should be very interesting, and different. As I've said before the Albini sound is growing a little old, maybe its just me. Rozemarie was a nice addition and will be missed.

Пятхъдесят Шест 11.12.2006 02:16 PM

Also, Gravity, what would you like to hear? I've got nothing going on, and could upload something now for you. Not a problem.

GravitySlips 11.12.2006 08:07 PM

If you could upload Pokkeherrie, that'd be sweet.

pokkeherrie 11.13.2006 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
I can't wait to hear the new album! It should be very interesting, and different. As I've said before the Albini sound is growing a little old, maybe its just me. Rozemarie was a nice addition and will be missed.

no, i agree with that. it wouldn't hurt if they'd choose someone other than albini this time. i liked turn a lot though because it sounded fresh with rozemarie on bass. dizzy spells was the one that somewhat bored me. i'm more concerned whether they still "got it" next time i'll see them live though...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GravitySlips
If you could upload Pokkeherrie, that'd be sweet.

for a second i thought you were addressing me, but you mean the album by the same name, right?

Пятхъдесят Шест 11.13.2006 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
for a second i thought you were addressing me, but you mean the album by the same name, right?

He was, and I will, if he still wants me to.