Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   top ten fave "punk" albums (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=23148)

Pookie 07.02.2008 06:10 PM

Considering I was a huge lover of punk for many years (starting in about 1978), I could only think of eight albums I'd bother listening to now. And they are:

The Clash - The Clash
Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disasters
Black Flag - Damaged
MDC - Millions of Dead Cops
Circle Jerks - Wild In The Streets
Husker Du - New Day Rising
Wire - Pink Flag
Ramones - Ramones

There are many albums and bands I love which have been mentioned here, but they're not punk: Big Black, London Calling, Gun Club, Suicide, Cramps etc.

And many bands mentioned who I don't love and are not punk: Stooges, New York Dolls, Patti Smith etc.

Toilet & Bowels 07.02.2008 06:14 PM

the raincoats - s/t
beat happening - s/t
minor threat - discography
discharge - why?
supercharger - singles party
mudhoney - superfuzz bigmuff
big black - atomizer
The Fall - Dragnet
The Ramones - s/t
Suicide - s/t
Black Flag - Damaged
The Brentwoods - s/t
Harry Pussy - What Was Music
Harry Pussy - Live 10"
Sonic Youth - Kill Yr Idols
Teenage Panzer Korps - Gleich Heilt Gleich

Everyneurotic 07.02.2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
The last half of which consists of, God Save the Queen, Seventeen, Anarchy ..., Submission, Pretty Vacant, New York and EMI. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

you know? i had to pull out my copy of it, i thought "anarchy" and "god save the queen" were a side.

i never cared much for "seventeen" and "submission"; "new york" and "emi" are easily the weakest songs of the bunch though, that's probably why i think side b isn't that good.

after "pretty vacant", that album is over for me.

demonrail666 07.02.2008 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
you know? i had to pull out my copy of it, i thought "anarchy" and "god save the queen" were a side.

i never cared much for "seventeen" and "submission"; "new york" and "emi" are easily the weakest songs of the bunch though, that's probably why i think side b isn't that good.

after "pretty vacant", that album is over for me.

Fair enough. I actually think the running order on the album has changed a few times anyway. Always the same songs, but not not always in the same order. Mine ends with the ones i listed, but would have to check up to see if it's the same with the original release.

MellySingsDoom 07.02.2008 06:28 PM

I forgot to add: The Ex - "Disturbing Domestic Peace". Anarcho-punk doesn't come much better than this.

Of course, they are Dutch, so I guess some boardies will draw their own conclusions from that....:p

EDIT: On the Kraut-punk side of things, I nominate the first Abwaerts LP, whatever it's called....and the first LA Dusseldorf LP - some very punk-like riffing on that.

Everyneurotic 07.02.2008 06:31 PM

Quote:

Fair enough. I actually think the running order on the album has changed a few times anyway. Always the same songs, but not not always in the same order. Mine ends with the ones i listed, but would have to check up to see if it's the same with the original release.

mine has the same running order.

---

melly: big up on the ex!!!

demonrail666 07.02.2008 06:38 PM

The blurb from the site mentioned by Glice, listing the most overrated punk albums.

1. The Sex Pistols-Never Mind The Bollocks Here’s The Sex Pistols:

First of all, let me say that when terrible music comes to mind, I immediately think of this lousy band. I can’t get over the fact that just about everyone seems to think that this piece of sonic garbage comes anywhere close to being worth listening to.
This band could not and still can’t play their instruments…and they’ll be the first ones to admit it. If you think that that was what punk rock was about, then you are obviously in the dark about the whole punk movement. The Sex Pistols were nothing more than a bunch of bored teenagers that were deprived of attention so they felt that if they spiked their hair, wore leather and put pins through their nipples, that they would be able to get up on stage and romp around and smash things and people would overlook the obvious fact that they sucked as musicians. They drew attention to themselves by causing trouble in jolly olde England with swear words and public drug use while bands like the Clash and the Exploited could rip your face off and make you think at the same time. And the legacy that the Sex Pistols are remembered for is “Never Mind The Bollocks”, and album that sounds like it was pieced together by a group of third graders on crack. Best punk album of all time. Right…and Jesus killed the dinosaurs because they made fun of his momma.

--

I've got absolutely nothing against people criticising this album, but I would like to know where this whole 'they can't play their instruments' thing comes from. The Pistols were never virtuoso musicians, but seriously, Glen Matlock was a perfectly reasonable bass player. Equally, Steve Jones and Paul Cook, while they wouldn't worry members of Yes, were themselves quite sufficient at what they did. Sid Vicious (who wasn't as bad a bass player as people like to suggest anyway) only really appeared on Bodies (reportedly).

MellySingsDoom 07.02.2008 06:45 PM

Quote:

The blurb from the site mentioned by Glice, listing the most overrated punk albums.

1. The Sex Pistols-Never Mind The Bollocks Here’s The Sex Pistols:

First of all, let me say that when terrible music comes to mind, I immediately think of this lousy band. I can’t get over the fact that just about everyone seems to think that this piece of sonic garbage comes anywhere close to being worth listening to.
This band could not and still can’t play their instruments…and they’ll be the first ones to admit it. If you think that that was what punk rock was about, then you are obviously in the dark about the whole punk movement. The Sex Pistols were nothing more than a bunch of bored teenagers that were deprived of attention so they felt that if they spiked their hair, wore leather and put pins through their nipples, that they would be able to get up on stage and romp around and smash things and people would overlook the obvious fact that they sucked as musicians. They drew attention to themselves by causing trouble in jolly olde England with swear words and public drug use while bands like the Clash and the Exploited could rip your face off and make you think at the same time. And the legacy that the Sex Pistols are remembered for is “Never Mind The Bollocks”, and album that sounds like it was pieced together by a group of third graders on crack. Best punk album of all time. Right…and Jesus killed the dinosaurs because they made fun of his momma.

The human who wrote this is a total penis. "Spiked their hair, wore leather"? "Pins through their nipples"? "Public drug use?". This oaf has conflated the Sid Vicious cliche with the Pistols themselves. It's also a bit fucking rich for our man to (falsely) criticise the Sex Pistols for sartorial choices that The Exploited made a fucking career out of. Perhaps one the Pistols told him to piss off once? His writing certainly has the stench of "fanboy with a problem" about it.

demonrail666 07.02.2008 06:45 PM

Dutch Punk. Fucking hilarious idea that. You have to hand it to them I suppose. They don't mind having a go.

demonrail666 07.02.2008 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
oaf

Such a great word. It really is.

Cantankerous 07.02.2008 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
discharge - never again
damned - machine gun etiquette
the heartbreakers - LAMF
patti smith - radio ethiopia
ramones - ramones
the ruts - the crack
television - marquee moon (which is only counted as punk for being part of the CBGB scene anyway but there you have it)

there's 7.

three more

wire - pink flag
the kids - the kids
the clash - london calling

demonrail666 07.02.2008 06:49 PM

Who are The Kids? I'd google it, but feel a little uncomfortable doing so.

MellySingsDoom 07.02.2008 06:50 PM

Two members of Dutch anarchos De Kift ponder the state of punk in Oranjeboom-land..."Sho, why ish demonrailsch not liking the Dutch punk bandsch? We haf really cool gigsch and truly exshellent grassch."

Pookie 07.02.2008 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
three more

wire - pink flag
the kids - the kids
the clash - london calling

I wouldn't call London Calling punk.

MellySingsDoom 07.02.2008 06:52 PM

Quote:

"Cor, well, it don't stop me looking, mate. You got anything under the counter, special stuff..you still got those John Lindsay films, guv?"

Trasher02 07.02.2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Belgian band, they've only had like 2 - 3 decent songs imo. Saw them recently at some free festival. It's pretty sad to see 40-year old tossers playing punksongs. I actually know the drummer personally he's in a band with my dad.

MellySingsDoom 07.02.2008 06:54 PM

Quote:

Such a great word. It really is.

I know, a very under-rated one, methinks, and quintessentially English too.

demonrail666 07.02.2008 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom

Two members of Dutch anarchos De Kift ponder the state of punk in Oranjeboom-land..."Sho, why ish demonrailsch not liking the Dutch punk bandsch? We haf really cool gigsch and truly exshellent grassch."

Look at them. They're so hilariously Dutch aren't they. I don't think I've ever met a truly pissed off Dutch-person. Watching them try and be angry is like watching a Skoda try and do a wheel spin.

Toilet & Bowels 07.02.2008 06:55 PM

i can't think of a band with music that sounds more stodgy than the clash. if they were a food they'd be old porridge with no sugar

Pookie 07.02.2008 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i can't think of a band with music that sounds more stodgy than the clash. if they were a food they'd be old porridge with no sugar

I don't see how they were stodgy. Explain yourself young man.