Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bob Dylan or Neil Young (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112)

FreshChops 03.18.2010 07:16 PM

Both are great but I think as artist, Dylan is both more original and creative..... up for debate of course, by my view.

Onani Nic 03.19.2010 03:00 AM

Neil Young by a million miles (and also Steely Dan)

atsonicpark 03.19.2010 04:09 AM

Don't much care for either one, but Neil Young's "MY MY HEY HEY" is a masterpiece, even if he sounds a bit silly singing about Sid Vicious.

cars_willkillyou 03.21.2010 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
yes, but neil hasn't spent the last three decades doing shit music.

Not true at all. Neil has a lot of shitty music. Dylan has a lot more shitty music, but he has written more good songs than Young has written total. Dylan's influence on music is eternal and worldwide.

They both played on The Last Waltz, and I think Young's performance was superior to Dylans.

And while Dylan was a Wilbury (which personally, i enjoy the band), Young was producing garbage like "Trans."

They both have made amazing music and have made amazingly bad music. The good outnumbers and outweighs the bad with both musicians. I would say that Neil Young is more consistent; however, Dylan has not only written and produced (or otherwise contributed to) nearly twice as many songs as Young, and something should be said for that alone.

Bob Dylan has worked with almost every amazing musician of his era. He also got the Beatles high for the first time (or so rumor has it).

It's a tough call, for me at least, but I gotta go with Dylan. Neil Young is the better musician though.

ann ashtray 03.21.2010 03:07 AM

Dylan ain't got a damned thing on Mr. Young.

loubarret 03.21.2010 04:58 AM

Both their last albums were shit. And On the beach>highway.

TheFoxBen 03.21.2010 05:16 AM

Neil Young.

Genteel Death 03.21.2010 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Don't much care for either one, but Neil Young's "MY MY HEY HEY" is a masterpiece, even if he sounds a bit silly singing about Sid Vicious.

Johnny Rotten.

loubarret 03.21.2010 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Johnny Rotten.

This is the story of johnny rotten.

It's better to burn out then to fade away. Well yeah, he is right still about Rotten.

batreleaser 03.21.2010 12:32 PM

Dylan, though "On the Beach" was the best thing recorded by either.

skofo 03.22.2010 10:52 AM

Bob Dylan without a question, but I am a fan of Neil Young too.

SuperCreep 03.22.2010 11:14 AM

i listened to highway 61 revisited for the first time in a long time yesterday. i don't know if i just wasn't in the mood for it, but i found myself less enamored with it than i used to be. it's great, don't get me wrong, but i feel on a "song" basis, bringing it all back home and blonde on blonde are eons better.

SONIC GAIL 03.22.2010 01:43 PM

zimmerman

kierkegaarden 03.22.2010 06:57 PM

I prefer Dylan, he asks more of me. Songs like "Ballad in Plain D" and "Brownsville Girl" still disturb me into feeling through life like it were some articulate and religious thing.