Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   songs that remind you of other songs (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13246)

GeneticKiss 08.26.2010 12:09 PM

This thread needs a bump. The latest track by Godsmack, "Love-Hate-Sex-Pain", manages to rip off not only Alice In Chains as usual, but also the Beatles and Faith No More...

Listen for yourself: The Godsmack song
Alice In Chains-Love, Hate, Love
The Beatles-I Want You (She's So Heavy)
Faith No More-Epic (the outro)

Also, I've always thought the verse riff in the Transplants' One Seventeen was very reminicent of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCGvONbVCa0 ] Nirvana's Territorial Pissings[/url]

Mortte Jousimo 08.27.2010 03:19 AM

I don´t know, has somebody already mentioned these (I haven´t read the whole thread) but Sonic Youth´s Stones and Chapel Hill have something same in their choruses. That doesn´t bother me, because they both are very good songs and I don´t mean that Stones is a copy of Chapel Hill. I think it is quite usual, when band has been together a long time that there comes songs that reminds each other. I think it is a little miracle, how Sonic Youth still sounds quite same as in EVOL times, but still there are for example no songs in EVOL and the Eternal, that reminds each other. Maybe that is one reason I love Sonic Youth so much.

viewtiful alan redux 08.31.2010 08:05 PM

Death Trip by Iggy and the Stooges and L.A. Woman by The Door

These songs are very different yet very similar at the same time, its like both songs move musically in the same direction.

Also has anyone noticed that the little lick in the verses of 'In my head' by Black Flag is a basically a higher pitch version of the faster part of the title track to Black Sabbath's s/t?

ann ashtray 08.31.2010 09:00 PM

NY loose's "spit" sounds an awwwwwful lot like "I want to be your dog".

The Soup Nazi 11.21.2010 01:55 PM

Neil Young's "I Believe In You" -> Richard & Linda Thompson's "Just The Motion".

_slavo_ 11.21.2010 04:37 PM

Sleater-Kinney: Quarter to Three

reminds me of

Sonic Youth - Diamond Sea

GeneticKiss 11.22.2010 03:49 AM

I love this thread!

Pink Floyd's "When the Tigers Broke Free"/Motorhead's "1916" (both songs are awesome, though)
Billy Idol's "Eyes Without A Face"/Mellowdrone's "Orange Marmalade"

Hey does anyone know if anyone's made a mashup between the Shamen's "Move Any Mountain" and the BGM for Stage 4 in Streets of Rage 2? I think they'd work pretty well together...

tcpotbntmy 11.22.2010 04:35 AM

Megadeth's - Holy Wars... The Punishment Due d to e hammer on in it's main riff

Wire - Another the Letter

--------

the scrape at the end of Kayo Dot - Aura on Asylum Wall jogged a seemingly distant memory of Fugazi's opposing scrape to start out "Cashout" from the Argument, though they definitely differ at one point in time.

The Soup Nazi 11.22.2010 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
Sleater-Kinney: Quarter to Three

I adore this song. Granted, my opinion on this particular matter may be taken with a grain of salt or two, since Sleater-Kinney is one of the few acts where I cross the line from fan to full-on fanatic. But still!

The Soup Nazi 11.26.2010 06:30 PM

A couple from John Cale's Fear:

"Emily" <-> Brian Eno's "Taking Tiger Mountain" (recorded just weeks apart, as I understand. Dunno who came up with what first; as for the sound, Eno had a lot to do with Cale's song, evidently) -> Rufus Wainwright's "Poses"

"You Know More Than I Know" <- "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" (the bass line that closes each chorus and introduces the following verse is virtually identical to the one right before the last line of the chorus in Dylan's song).

frades 03.09.2011 12:45 PM

SY - the diamond sea reminds me of Indochine - sur les toits du monde so much that I wonder if it's not a cover or plagiarism.

pad_023 03.09.2011 02:27 PM

Sun City Girls - Space Prophet Dogon
The Velvet Underground - All Tomorrow's Parties

The Soup Nazi 03.09.2011 04:02 PM

A few premeditated ones:

Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze" -> Robyn Hitchcock's "Freeze" (Storefront Hitchcock version, right at the end)

Jimi Hendrix's "The Wind Cries Mary" -> Miles Davis' "Mademoiselle Mabry"

Sly & The Family Stone's "Sing A Simple Song" -> Miles Davis' "Right Off" (one of the takes from the Complete Jack Johnson Sessions box).

By the by, Steve Mackay quotes from A Love Supreme at one point during the Complete Fun House Sessions, but right now I can't remember on which of the 7.2 billion tracks that is. I'll get back to all y'alls.

diegobra 04.24.2011 09:31 PM

Sonic Youth - Death Valley 69 intro/ Los Saicos - El entierro de los gatos intro

Los Saicos are a 60s garage rock band from Perú, i'm from Chile.

diegobra 04.24.2011 09:32 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxxKmTFTzQk Los Saicos - El entierro de los gatos

Bertrand 04.25.2011 01:23 AM

Beady Eyes : The Roller, or how to rip off Lennon's Instant Karma and yet get your song on the radio again and again

atsonicpark 04.25.2011 07:22 AM

great posts

The Soup Nazi 07.13.2011 04:52 PM

The Stooges' "I Wanna Be Your Dog" -> Wilco's "Wilco (The Song)"

By the way, Wilco's new song "I Might" "features samples from the Stooges recording 'T.V. Eye'".

The Soup Nazi 08.18.2011 08:17 PM

The Modern Lovers' "She Cracked" -> Talking Heads' "Psycho Killer" (obvious one, I know; they even share a musician)

James Brown's "Super Bad" -> Miles Davis' "Calypso Frelimo" (Michael Henderson quotes the bass line from the JB song at one point)

Liz Phair's "Stratford-On-Guy" -> Spoon's "Chicago at Night"

Dude McDude 08.19.2011 04:58 AM

Has someone mentioned Dinosaur Jr - Can't we move this (verse) / Screaming Trees - Witness (chorus)?

Two really good songs either way.