Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Rob Instigator 06.10.2019 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

Dredd

Judge Dredd is the comic book character I grew up on and like everyone else I hated Sly Stallone's version. But this doesn't just blow that film out of the water, It might be my favourite comic book adaptation, period. Stripped down to a brutal action-film, sort of like Mad Max 2, it does nothing to try and make it appeal to a non-core audience. I'd happily see this turned into a franchise, bringing in characters like Judge Death, so long as they maintained the dark tone, stripped down approach and absence of back story.

I love this DREDD

Rob Instigator 06.10.2019 01:10 PM

watched this yesterday again. sad

!@#$%! 06.10.2019 10:09 PM

hollywood shuffle

had heard a lot about it but never seen it. hilarious! great satire.

LifeDistortion 06.12.2019 02:12 AM

ilduclo 06.12.2019 08:28 AM

^ what’d you think? I liked the series.

LifeDistortion 06.12.2019 09:07 AM

I enjoyed it, if you're a fan of the series you'd be a fan of this, since its not trying to reinvent the wheel. Its a Deadwood episode that is just an hour and 50 minutes.

!@#$%! 06.12.2019 09:26 PM

PERFORMANCE

where has this movie been all my life? and what was it all about? holy fuck! loved it, and wanna watch it again.

the style of the first “noir” part is cool as shit

the second part of the movie is more stylistically traditional as the story gets more out of hand

the mick jagger musical number is awesome haaahahahaa

holy fuck 1970. thanks, criterion!

Severian 06.13.2019 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

watched this yesterday again. sad

Makes me cry. Or used to. Incredibly sad, yeah.

Severian 06.13.2019 07:49 AM

Quote:

Dredd

Judge Dredd is the comic book character I grew up on and like everyone else I hated Sly Stallone's version. But this doesn't just blow that film out of the water, It might be my favourite comic book adaptation, period. Stripped down to a brutal action-film, sort of like Mad Max 2, it does nothing to try and make it appeal to a non-core audience. I'd happily see this turned into a franchise, bringing in characters like Judge Death, so long as they maintained the dark tone, stripped down approach and absence of back story.

It was good, definitely. Didn’t exactly — or in any way — capture the satirical spirit of the 2000 AD comics, but that would have been tough. I thought it was really well done and under appreciated. As much of an improvement from the Stallone version as Begins was from Batman & Robin.

demonrail666 06.13.2019 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
PERFORMANCE

where has this movie been all my life? and what was it all about? holy fuck! loved it, and wanna watch it again.

the style of the first “noir” part is cool as shit

the second part of the movie is more stylistically traditional as the story gets more out of hand

the mick jagger musical number is awesome haaahahahaa

holy fuck 1970. thanks, criterion!

Amazing film. Never get tired of watching it.

!@#$%! 06.13.2019 09:32 PM

Quote:

Amazing film. Never get tired of watching it.

i don’t think i ever will

anyway, no time for features tonite, so just caught sofia coppola’s 1998 short

starts with a bang, ends with a sort of whimper, but i loved the bits of soundtrack. the amps! free kitten!

tw2113 06.15.2019 12:09 AM

The Stupids.

Quite literally as stupid as you imagine

choc e-Claire 06.15.2019 12:21 AM

tw2113 06.15.2019 10:59 PM

Wild At Heart, thanks to y'all and me checking out some of what y'all post

LifeDistortion 06.16.2019 12:57 AM

Its on Netflix and its been 14 years today.

tw2113 06.16.2019 01:31 AM

Mary Shelley.

Severian 06.16.2019 11:20 AM

Lol. Fragile alt-rightera found the perfectly adorable Brie Larsen offensive. She’s a delight, like, seriously.

Movie was fine. Not great, but fun. Reading all the negative reviews from angry basement dwelling woman-haters is pretty sad business.

Fun stuff, goddamn delightful lead.

LifeDistortion 06.16.2019 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
[img]

Lol. Fragile alt-rightera found the perfectly adorable Brie Larsen offensive. She’s a delight, like, seriously.

'But she's be so much prettier if she only smiled'- pretty much summed up what those fragile people said. Of course you could point out how little Robert Downey Jr. smiled in Iron Man, or Captain America, but she's a girl, she should want to look pretty. I would hope nobody that listens to Sonic Youth has this immature mentality.

choc e-Claire 06.16.2019 04:48 PM

I found her character to be a bit of a dickhead in Endgame, but she was totally fine in this.

I mean, nothing really blew me away with the movie (although I did quite like the whole Kree v Skrull moral issues), but you wouldn't be watching this movie for groundbreaking material. It's a fun two hours.

(I also like that this movie is part of a random NIN resurgence that we've been getting this year, what with 'Old Town Road' and now Black Mirror)

tw2113 06.16.2019 07:11 PM

To go along with reading the book, I'm about to start the movie version of Horns.