Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   offtopic: when was the last time you listened SY? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=35371)

Kannibal 10.20.2009 07:56 AM

offtopic: when was the last time you listened SY?

when was the last time? no matter if album or mp3 or accidental hearing.

mine was about 2 weeks ago when killed time at work and played some early lives mp3s.

Glice 10.20.2009 08:01 AM

I hardly ever listen to them since they stopped turning out albums that I could at least pretend I like. I listened to CIS about 2 months ago and DDN sometime earlier this year, and I put Schizophrenia on a mix CD. Partially, I blame this forum for my current despair at SY.

Genteel Death 10.20.2009 08:03 AM

I've had a complete SY feast last week. I listened to all their albums, I hugged my neighbour, wet myself a little, and then went to bed.

floatingslowly 10.20.2009 08:07 AM

about 5 minutes ago. I have Blink on a mix cd.

however, like glice mentioned, message boards have the curious effect of making a person not like a band because of it's fans.

Genteel Death 10.20.2009 08:13 AM

It was Glice who said that. I can undertsand that feeling, then again it doesn't really affect the way I feel about this band at all. Besides, I do love the records anyway (bar Sonic Nurse and Rather Shit), so the fact that I don't have much in common with a lot of their fans doesn't affect the way I enjoy them at all.

atsonicpark 10.20.2009 08:19 AM

This is very on topic.

Last time I listened to them was when the Eternal came out.

floatingslowly 10.20.2009 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
It was Glice who said that.

I saw that after I posted. sometimes cells load weird on my phone if there's a gay unicorn in the sig.

on the positive side, people like that prick glice keep me from hating sonic youth more than, say, The Flaming Lips.

HaydenAsche 10.20.2009 08:25 AM

I don't know the last time I put any on intentionally. A song pops up here or there on the radio or songbird.

chicka 10.20.2009 08:32 AM

I suppose some find it cool to belong to a board and then diss the main topic of the board. Even if some of their new release aren't up to some people around here's standards. Their music is timeless. What was good in the 80's was good in the 90's and is still good.

Toilet & Bowels 10.20.2009 08:45 AM

i listened to syr8 last week

Toilet & Bowels 10.20.2009 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
I hardly ever listen to them since they stopped turning out albums that I could at least pretend I like.

when was that?

floatingslowly 10.20.2009 08:46 AM

sonic youth is NOT the main-topic of this board.

yr looking for one of those boards upstairs.

speaking of, I never post in a band's "let's talk about the band" forum. it's been 20 years and I just don't see the point. unless the subject is kim's panties, I just can't be fucked with it.

ps: when does the board without swa(y) go live?

atsonicpark 10.20.2009 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicka
I suppose some find it cool to belong to a board and then diss the main topic of the board.

huh

Genteel Death 10.20.2009 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingslowly
sonic youth is NOT the main-topic of this board.

It is, being their forum and all that. I would sign a petition to get atsonicpark a subforum on here, though. You know it would help him saving up for bandwidth money for his relentless self-promotion activities.

Glice 10.20.2009 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
when was that?

Murray Street was the last time I continued to be excited by the record for more than a few listens. It's ok.

SY are still a worthwhile band, I just spent a good 6 or 7 years listening to them far too much.

atsonicpark 10.20.2009 09:10 AM

You know, Pork, I'm taking a guess my useful-post-to-self-promotion-post ratio is probably 500:1 or something. I do have more posts than anybody, granted, but a small, small, small fraction of them is going "HEY! CHECK OUT MY SHIT!" Also note I'm (one of) the first people to check out other people's shit, as well. So, shut it.

...wait, lemme guess, the 4 self-promotion threads I've made this whole year has somehow killed the board? Also, I constantly try to get other members of the board to be creative and to help me out with things, which.. you know.. some people find fun? So, I'm introducing some fun into the board, as opposed to just trying to shut people and their opinions down. I know that's awful, but that's just me.

HaydenAsche 10.20.2009 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
You know, Pork, I'm taking a guess my useful-post-to-self-promotion-post ratio is probably 500:1 or something. I do have more posts than anybody, granted, but a small, small, small fraction of them is going "HEY! CHECK OUT MY SHIT!" Also note I'm (one of) the first people to check out other people's shit, as well. So, shut it.

...wait, lemme guess, the 4 self-promotion threads I've made this whole year has somehow killed the board? Also, I constantly try to get other members of the board to be creative and to help me out with things, which.. you know.. some people find fun? So, I'm introducing some fun into the board, as opposed to just trying to shut people and their opinions down. I know that's awful, but that's just me.

Endorsed by the Adam Cooley for President campaign.

_slavo_ 10.20.2009 09:15 AM

Last week or so, I played some Bad Moon Rising for my pleasure. Lately it's been the only album by SY that I can listen to without significantly increasing my blood pressure.

atsonicpark 10.20.2009 09:17 AM

Also, and I didn't want to go down this route, but I guess I will, the "Self-promotion" stuff I post is stuff that some people here (including Thurston Moore!) actually care about. What am I supposed to do, PM them all? I know it's an awful thing that I want people to check out my work, but I've always encouraged others to do the same. It'd be awful if everyone had to restrict their creativity in fear that some snob will say "ohh yerr self promotin too much lately."

Glice 10.20.2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Also, and I didn't want to go down this route, but I guess I will, the "Self-promotion" stuff I post is stuff that some people here (including Thurston Moore!) actually care about. What am I supposed to do, PM them all?

I know it's an awful thing that I want people to check out my work, but I've always encouraged others to do the same. It'd be awful if everyone had to restrict their creativity in fear that some snob will say "ohh yerr self promotin too much lately."

I'd prefer you did it in a thread that is optional for me to open than in a PM that for which curiosity will usually get the better of me. There are far worse threads here, whinging about the shitness of the forum being much less interesting (and don't get me wrong, I do my fair share of whinging).