Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   shitty sonic youth shows? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=22877)

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
clearly you missed the joke.

clearly I'm still missing it.

Dead-Air 06.24.2008 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
i think 80% of sonic youth fans would agree it sucks. because.. uh.. it does.

That's been proven wrong again and again in all of these constant threads where it comes up.

About 25% are very, very, vocally against it and hating it, who also happen to be people who post on the board frequently (but who often define themselves as NOT core Sonic Youth fans).

20% say they like it a lot, and they are usually young people who don't post very often and don't post on the rest of the board.

Then most of the rest, represented by both categories of frequent and infrequent posters say they either like some of it (which is oddly very different songs from person to person) or like it all but not as much as most Sonic Youth albums.

Pesonally, I love "Or", like "Pink Steam" as much as many Sonic Youth songs, am o.k. with most of the rest but a bit let down, and overall think it's a substandard SY album and a slightly better than average rock album in the grand scheme of things. Nurse was ten times better, but I don't think it represents them going down hill as I love Washing Machine much more than EJST&NS and thus believe they can bounce back from a so so album with a great one.

acousticrock87 06.24.2008 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Pesonally, I love "Or", like "Pink Steam" as much as many Sonic Youth songs, am o.k. with most of the rest but a bit let down, and overall think it's a substand SY album and a slightly better than average rock album in the grand scheme of things.

That's almost exactly how I feel. I also think "Sleeping Around" is a pretty good song, and "Rats" in moderation.

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 01:35 AM

Rather Ripped was the first sonic youth album I ever listened to, and it was given to me by Lee who ran out to the bus during a show at warehouse in houston, that I couldn't get into because it was sold out so I sat outside for several hours at night in the heat, so he felt bad for me and gave me the cd and chatted for about a minute.
So maybe it has senimental value for me, but I don't know I enjoy that album. and would give it a 4/5

acousticrock87 06.24.2008 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
Rather Ripped was the first sonic youth album I ever listened to, and it was given to me by Lee who ran out to the bus during a show at warehouse in houston, that I couldn't get into because it was sold out so I sat outside for several hours at night in the heat, so he felt bad for me and gave me the cd and chatted for about a minute.
So maybe it has senimental value for me, but I don't know I enjoy that album. and would give it a 4/5

You were sitting outside a show for hours when you've never heard them?

Either way, that's an awesome story. I can understand liking the CD that much, in that case.

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 01:40 AM

I had heard great things about them, and was staying with a relative who lived near there.

But yeah, they went out to dinner and wouldn't come get me til they were done, so I was just stuck there. But it was so fucking worth it.

And Lee has to be the nicest musician I've ever encountered.

atsonicpark 06.24.2008 02:11 AM

okay then!

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
okay then!

Que?

uhler 06.24.2008 02:13 AM

rather ripped is decent

✌➬ 06.24.2008 02:14 AM

Well Rather Ripped is okay. Just pop music.

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhler
rather ripped is decent

Thank you.

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 02:15 AM

Ok so there are some rational people in this thread XD

_slavo_ 06.24.2008 02:20 AM

Quote:

Ok so there are some rational people in this thread XD

Daycare Nation's new incarnation?

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 02:21 AM

Que? Insult? I wasn't familiar with them.

✌➬ 06.24.2008 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
Daycare Nation's new incarnation?

Repp'd.

uhler 06.24.2008 02:29 AM

i can see why people would hate the album though. compared to all the rest of their output (aside from dirty) it's their worst album.

✌➬ 06.24.2008 02:30 AM

Dirty is one of their best albums from the 90's.

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 02:35 AM

NYC Ghosts and flowers sucked pretty much.
I was really dissapointed by it. Some of the guitars were cool, but overall the album just didn't feel very.. impassioned?

nicfit 06.24.2008 02:37 AM

Quote:

NYC Ghosts and flowers sucked pretty much.
I was really dissapointed by it.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

atsonicpark 06.24.2008 02:40 AM

yeeeeeeeeah... nyc is great...