Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   is it just me or does SY sound superior at night? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1640)

youthoftomorrow 05.08.2006 08:56 PM

is it just me or does SY sound superior at night?

Sonic Nurse is the best nighttime listening album ever, especially the "New Hampshire"/"Paper Cup Exit"/"I Love You Golden Blue" sequence.

m^a(t)h 05.08.2006 09:00 PM

i enjoy walking in the woods listening to Live in Venlo, Holland 83 at night. It sounds so much different when I do this....

actually listen to anything in the woods and it will be the best listen youve ever had...

qprogeny79 05.08.2006 09:08 PM

everything sounds better at night. i don't know what it is . . . i just read more into it at night. maybe we just tend to be more reflective when the day is done.

schizophrenicroom 05.08.2006 09:15 PM

it's true.

confusion is sex is ten times creepier at that period around 4 am when everything is dead, as is bad moon rising. when halloween rolls around this year i want to just walk around with my friends at dark listening to 'halloween'.

murray street is most beautiful around six am when the sun is kinda peeking out and 'the empty page' opens and everything's dewy. at night, though, it's pretty.

daydream nation and sister around midnight is perfect to run to.

CHOUT 05.08.2006 09:28 PM

Movies look better at night too. I won't watch a movie in the day unless i'm at a theater.

HaydenAsche 05.08.2006 09:37 PM

I listen to Godspeed You Black Emperor! every night.

m^a(t)h 05.08.2006 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
I listen to Godspeed You Black Emperor! every night.

I listen to F#A# every night...

HaydenAsche 05.08.2006 09:54 PM

I'm more of a Lift Your Hands! type guy.

m^a(t)h 05.08.2006 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
it's true.

confusion is sex is ten times earlier at that period around 4 am when everything is dead

I concur with this also, confusion is sex at night is static and cool. I only listen to it like once a month so as to appreciate the listen everytime. I do this with the Halladagian EP by Animal Collective too.

val-holla-ing 05.08.2006 11:44 PM

i remember driving across the texas/louisiana border at dusk while Nurse was playing and it fit so perfectly. it just sounds so red, dark, and lush.

FRACTUREDSUNSHINE 05.09.2006 12:44 AM

19th b day in the snow. I run down a hill 3 am dirty plays the batteries slow it all down or is it the blotter.

single speed!

kingcoffee 05.09.2006 01:04 AM

hell yeah. Most music sounds better at night. It's a scientifically proven fact. And I am basing that comment on absolutely nothing.

whorefrost 05.09.2006 05:15 AM

I generally feel happier at night... I feel like it takes me all day to get fully awake... so I don't feel my best until the sun has gone down... then I have to fall asleep and start all over again, damnit!
I woke up at 4am this morning to bird chirping... so I spun Double Leopards: A Hole is True followed by White Rock, Tarpit LP... delightful!

terminal pharmacy 05.09.2006 05:19 AM

i can proove it on an etcha -a- sketch

Rob Instigator 05.09.2006 08:39 AM

sonic youth is indeeed nighttime music.

while it is anytime music as well, it's music has special power after dark.

tag you're it...no, you're it...

Hip Priest 05.09.2006 08:58 AM

After reading this fine thread, I think I've decided to compile an SY night-time tape. It'ss start with The Empty PAge, end with On The Strip and have who-knows-what in between.

screamingskull 05.09.2006 09:00 AM

i listen to sweetshine almost everynight before i sleep, its a really sleepy song (except the chorus).

sonikjuice 05.09.2006 09:05 AM

The reason why all music sounds better at night is because there is less interference with your sense of hearing. Since it is darker, you rely less on your sense of vision and your ears can focus more closely on the music. The best way to listen to music is in the dark with headphones (as Brian Wilson would say... ). This is especially true when the music is complex (like SY's). It allows you to hear things that you've never heard before. Also, listening to music stoned at night has a greater effect since THC heightens your senses.

Hip Priest 05.09.2006 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonikjuice
The reason why all music sounds better at night is because there is less interference with your sense of hearing. Since it is darker, you rely less on your sense of vision and your ears can focus more closely on the music. The best way to listen to music is in the dark with headphones (as Brian Wilson would say... ). This is especially true when the music is complex (like SY's). It allows you to hear things that you've never heard before. Also, listening to music stoned at night has a greater effect since THC heightens your senses.

I liked kingcoffee's argument too (because it made me laugh), but I can relatre to this - a couple of times (including at a jazz gig recently) I've found that if I close my eyes, I can 'tune in' to an instrument that was getting lost in the sound. Interesting.

Inhuman 05.09.2006 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonikjuice

That's exactly why I made 2 seperate CD's for my friends to reccommend them some bands. When I listen to Abselutego by Boris in the daytime, I find it terribly boring. At night, it has a completely different effect. So I put all the stuff easier to listen to in daytime, and some of the deeper music that requires your complete attention on another CD to be listened to at night.