Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   deerhunter... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=20881)

batreleaser 04.02.2008 01:17 AM

deerhunter...

im wondering what people think of this band, i realize theyre gettin pretty big, but i honestly dont think ive heard anyone's opinion of them besides music critics...

i personally think theyre fuckin great. great mix of ambient atmospheres, shoegazing guitar tones, post punk rhtyms, bradford cox's eerie tortured vocals and lyrics. when i first heard cryptograms i liked them, but when the flourescent grey ep came out i was on the bandwagon. this band is probably one of the maybe three pitchfork nut hug bands that ive truly enjoyed in years. the atlas sound record is good as well. theyve caught a lotta flack for their blog and trying to draw attention to themselves and whatever, but that shit doesnt bother me at all, i just think it and bradford self professed "gay virgin art punk" personality gives them a sort of weirdo factor thats missing from a lot of medium big indie bands. and fuck all that, i like how their music sounds.

so, what do people think of this band?

terminal pharmacy 04.02.2008 01:33 AM

do they play russian roulette on stage??? i havent heard of them

Tokolosh 04.02.2008 05:35 AM

I quite like Cryptograms. Haven't heard anything else though.

drrrtyboots 04.02.2008 05:45 AM

Cryptograms was a strong album. They're pretty damn good live too but I can't really get into the Atlas Sound thing.

SYRFox 04.02.2008 06:11 AM

I love them. Cryptograms is a masterpiece in my opinion, and the Atlas Sound record is real good too, I can't wait to see that Animal Collective + Atlas Sound show in May... Also I'm looking forward the new Deerhunter album that they're recording

atsonicpark 04.02.2008 06:45 AM

They're pretty good and I've posted this about them many times before but here goes again... I think their individual songs can be kinda boring and most don't really stand out to me but I think Cryptograms and that EP is really strongly-sequened and has a good enough impact on the listener. Hooray for delay pedals! It's some pretty good stuff for sure. Also, I remember first hearing this band a few years ago... or at least it was a band called Deerhunter.. that sounded a lot different... oh okay, just checked the wikipedia, it IS the same band. Yeah, check out the album "turn it up faggot" (though when I downloaded it a few years back, it was just called deerhunter); it's pretty different. But yeah, I really really liked that EP more than Cryptograms, so I think this band is going to do some amazing stuff eventually.

SYRFox 04.02.2008 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
They're pretty good and I've posted this about them many times before but here goes again... I think their individual songs can be kinda boring and most don't really stand out to me but I think Cryptograms and that EP is really strongly-sequened and has a good enough impact on the listener. Hooray for delay pedals! It's some pretty good stuff for sure. Also, I remember first hearing this band a few years ago... or at least it was a band called Deerhunter.. that sounded a lot different... oh okay, just checked the wikipedia, it IS the same band. Yeah, check out the album "turn it up faggot" (though when I downloaded it a few years back, it was just called deerhunter); it's pretty different. But yeah, I really really liked that EP more than Cryptograms, so I think this band is going to do some amazing stuff eventually.

Actually the EP was recorded by the same time as Cryptograms (it's actually on the LP version of Cryptograms) so I don't think it means anything for the forthcoming album... But I think it'll be great anyway.
Turn It Up Faggot is really different, I like it less than Cryptograms but it's still a good listen

Rob Instigator 04.02.2008 09:14 AM

I have cryptograms and the foulrescent grey EP. I find it to be good listening. Some of it seems like background music, music to ignore quietly, but they have some more pumped up tunes too.
I have not really digested the whole album yet. I like it. Nothing groundbreaking or scary good, but good.

batreleaser 04.02.2008 11:02 AM

"turn it up faggot" was a pretty piss poor record. i more or less see the ep as the 3rd side or cryptograms, it really made me like cryptograms a hell of a lot more.

cellscape 04.02.2008 11:48 AM

I like the range of sounding and the direction they are heading. I like Atlas sound to.

sarramkrop 04.02.2008 11:51 AM

I have a dream and that dream involves never reading about ''tortured'' vocals ever again. They're alright.

batreleaser 04.02.2008 01:06 PM

i hope that dream comes true for you

fluxequalsrad 04.02.2008 02:52 PM

can someone ysi cryptograms? I've been trying to get it for ages but no well seeded torrents (or money for that matter) have come my way.

marleypumpkin 04.02.2008 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluxequalsrad
can someone ysi cryptograms? I've been trying to get it for ages but no well seeded torrents (or money for that matter) have come my way.

I could send a vinyl rip of it for you, but it might take a little while what with the ripping & editing process. It's up to you. Any particular file type you prefer?

Rob Instigator 04.02.2008 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I have a dream and that dream involves never reading about ''tortured'' vocals ever again. They're alright.

I hear ya and second yr statement.

fluxequalsrad 04.03.2008 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marleypumpkin
I could send a vinyl rip of it for you, but it might take a little while what with the ripping & editing process. It's up to you. Any particular file type you prefer?

:) thanks but somebody already sent me d/l link.

...........If you're still that eager to up music toss some good shit in the 'rare out of print records' thread :D

atsonicpark 06.09.2008 02:58 AM

Just downloaded microcastle. Listening now.. it's safe, boring, and predictable so far... yeah, it's pretty fucking bad... Hmph.

http://sharebee.com/371af219

Whatever you do, don't click on that!! It says deerhunter - microcastle.rar but who knows it might just be the new scissor shock album!!

atsonicpark 06.09.2008 09:07 AM

Okay, listened a few more times....

this new album has some decent songs.

...But for the most part it's shockingly awful! What a disappointment.

marleypumpkin 06.09.2008 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
this new album has some decent songs.

"Microcastle" is pretty good. But, "Cryptograms" is just too good to have a follow-up album be better than it. So in that sense, it'd be near impossible to match the quality of "Cryptograms". & having the "Fluorescent Grey EP" included makes the "Cryptograms" vinyl even better.

batreleaser 06.09.2008 10:21 AM

cryptograms (w/flourescent grey) was really good. it gets better every time i listen to it, makes more sense every time. one of the few newer bands that pitchfork nuthugs and actually deserves it. eno ambience meets cramps psychobilly, a little shoegazing guitars. the atlas sound record has really grown on me toom, im starting to love, in my top 10 of this year so far. anyways, im gonna wait until microcastle comes out to buy it.