Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What offends you?? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=34190)

pbradley 09.05.2009 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Hmm. I'm not sure I'd take the facepalming* of a bunch of twats (and bear in mind I have been/ still am one such twat) as indicative of anything. Bascially, in the above example, you've got a self-righteous twat talking to a boorish twat in front of an audience of smug twats.

*If anyone at OED is reading, I'd like full credit for inventing a new verb please.

And, as a smug twat, I am offended by those other twats.

Glice 09.05.2009 03:34 PM

As a jaded smug twat, I'm just a bit jaded by the whole twattery, twattishly.

Glice 09.05.2009 03:34 PM

Oh, someone rep me for that, that's definitely the best post I've done for fucking yonks.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.05.2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
One thing I've been really offended by recently was the shit philosophy that goes on between Richard Dawkins-loving atheist scientists and intelligent design creationists. For instance, some poncy armchair scientist argued that the philosophy of science is entirely irrelevant to science.

I forgot about them too!

a bunch of scientists who dismiss religion and religious culture without actually using any science to do so (in the same line of thinking as abolitionists who harbored racist sentiments)..

if you dismiss religion because of science, but don't offer any substance or scientific argument, what is the point? Having blind-faith in Atheism is as much a religion as having blind-faith in a God. Same shit, different toilet.

On the otherside of the coin, religious nuts who misunderstand the very point of religion, arguing for literal interpretations of books of religious song and poetry and legend, and yet do not use their religion for spiritual, personal or emotional growth, rather are not even very religious in the first place.. but they argue against science and reason, things they rarely delve into at all!

Science, quit being such assholes. Religion, give science a break, its in its relative infancy, some 400 odd years of history compared to thousands of years of cultural traditions, heritage, and chief amongst it, bagage.

Torn Curtain 09.05.2009 05:22 PM

Quote:

The French.

Racist :D

Glice 09.05.2009 05:32 PM

You can't call a national sport racist now, can you?

Also, I'm pretty sure that to qualify as a race you have to not be on strike all the time.

Satan 09.05.2009 05:34 PM

why do the french navy sail in boats with glass bottoms?

so they can see the french air force

Zombie Robot 09.05.2009 05:52 PM

- Racism/Hate/Cruelty. ETC
-Extremely impatient people
-Inconsiderate people
-Religious freaks
-Telemarketers
-Strong body odor
-Nauseating PDA
-Obnoxious teenage girls talking really loudly on their cell phones in public
-Unnecessary text messaging
-Clueless drivers
-Uncontrollable kids with stupid parents
-Crocs

Satan 09.05.2009 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Robot
-Extremely impatient people
-Inconsiderate people
-Nauseating PDA
-Obnoxious teenage girls talking really loudly on their cell phones in public
-Uncontrollable kids

....fuck.

gmku 09.05.2009 06:48 PM

Ha ha. What a funny fucking thread.

For me:

Men's shorts, especially if there's a shirt tucked into them and they have a belt and/or are worn with socks and Nikes.

Not much else offends me, because I realize that whatever potentially might offend can be chalked up to the basic ignorance of 90 percent of those who make up the human race.

static-harmony 09.05.2009 08:12 PM

Nothing really, well people but that is too broad.

gmku 09.05.2009 08:17 PM

Hell is other people.--Sartre

sarramkrop 09.05.2009 08:22 PM

Anyone who reduces things like racism, misogyny, homophobia and their general outrage about human misery to sound bites, vague assertions of one's ego, or an inconsequential, but successful lifestyle is bound to offend me, at one point or another.

girlgun 09.05.2009 08:24 PM

floatingslowly offends me.

i'm really hard to offend, truth be told, but i'm EASILY annoyed.

sarramkrop 09.05.2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlgun
floatingslowly offends me.

i'm really hard to offend, truth be told, but i'm EASILY annoyed.

Glice offends me too. Pity he is so inoffensive, though.

floatingslowly 09.05.2009 08:42 PM

girlgun's racism offends me.

and by that, I mean, when the neighbor's dog really was named Kanye, I was offended at the universe.

that kind of shit really makes it hard to be condescending.

amerikangod 09.05.2009 09:14 PM

I don't know if I've ever been offended. Getting offended is for 19 year-old lesbian political science majors on their periods.

pbradley 09.05.2009 11:55 PM

Quote:

Oh, someone rep me for that, that's definitely the best post I've done for fucking yonks.

I honestly tried, but "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Glice again."

pbradley 09.05.2009 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Anyone who reduces things like racism, misogyny, homophobia and their general outrage about human misery to sound bites, vague assertions of one's ego, or an inconsequential, but successful lifestyle is bound to offend me, at one point or another.

Example?

punkaspoo 09.06.2009 04:26 AM

ugly people