Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Band Most Influenced by Sonic Youth? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=31878)

demonrail666 06.07.2009 03:13 PM

The Band Most Influenced by Sonic Youth?

Just listened to some podcast talking about SY being one of the most influential bands of recent years. Everyone goes on about this and its probably true, but which band do you think has been most influenced by them?

noisereductions 06.07.2009 03:26 PM

hmm. Unwound? (who I also love, so don't flame me).

MellySingsDoom 06.07.2009 03:29 PM

A good question, this. Offhand, it's hard to think of a particular group who has been influenced by the substance of SY, as opposed to the surface sounds - Lord knows there's been enough SY imitators over the years (various Brit-watchers will be aware of AC Temple, f'instance). One name that I immediately thought of was Pavement, at least int their earlier days, with their skewed take on the SY dissonance through tuneage ethos. And you could to a certain degree draw a line from "Xpressway To Yr Skull" to Dead C (Im thinking of the likes of "Driver UFO").

What Im talking about though I guess is the influence of earlier SY. As for post-"Daydream Nation", my knowledge is not so hot, I'm afraid....

Toxa 06.07.2009 03:31 PM

DUSTdevils, first Mark Ibold band. love them!

demonrail666 06.07.2009 03:32 PM

I'd agree about AC Temple in terms of the pre-Daydream Nation era.

sarramkrop 06.07.2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
A good question, this. Offhand, it's hard to think of a particular group who has been influenced by the substance of SY, as opposed to the surface sounds - Lord knows there's been enough SY imitators over the years (various Brit-watchers will be aware of AC Temple, f'instance). One name that I immediately thought of was Pavement, at least int their earlier days, with their skewed take on the SY dissonance through tuneage ethos. And you could to a certain degree draw a line from "Xpressway To Yr Skull" to Dead C (Im thinking of the likes of "Driver UFO").

What Im talking about though I guess is the influence of earlier SY. As for post-"Daydream Nation", my knowledge is not so hot, I'm afraid....

FUCKING HELL! That's almost exactly what I was going to post.

MellySingsDoom 06.07.2009 03:38 PM

Great minds think alike, innit.

HaydenAsche 06.07.2009 03:41 PM

Nickelback

sarramkrop 06.07.2009 03:44 PM

It's an interesting question this. They influenced an enormous amount of people, yet the most SY-sounding bands are probably in their bedrooms right now, working out 'alternative tunings', and how to get weird sounds off their guitars, maybe suddenly realising that that is not like that that it should be done.

They aren't a band like The Beatles, say, where a certain type of melody is very much their own and you borrow wholesale.

HaydenAsche 06.07.2009 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
It's an interesting question this. They influenced an enormous amount of people, yet the most SY-sounding bands are probably in their bedrooms right now, working out 'alternative tunings', and how to get weird sounds off their guitars, maybe suddenly realising that that is not like that that it should be done.

They aren't a band like The Beatles, say, where a certain type of melody is very much their own and you borrow wholesale.

Well said, dear.

Sonic Youth has created such a massive discography that ranges in style so much, nearly any artist/group can be influenced. Anywhere from Arab on Radar's herky-jerky mentality to Pavement's whinings could be attributed to Sonic Youth.

atsonicpark 06.07.2009 04:47 PM

polvo were inspired by them.

Now, sonic youth are inspired by polvo ("what we know"!).

PS:

Savage Clone 06.07.2009 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toxa

That's exactly what I was going to say. I bought that back in the day and I instantly thought "whoa, Sonic Jr."

max 06.07.2009 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
polvo were inspired by them.

Now, sonic youth are inspired by polvo ("what we know"!).

PS:

that made my day.
thanx.

TheMadcapLaughs 06.07.2009 06:44 PM

good thread.
i dont know offhand, maybe trail of dead? (im not a huge fan but a friend of mine was). i agree about the pavement thing, the weirdly tuned guitars and the noise.

kenning 06.07.2009 07:25 PM

I think most bands influenced by Sonic Youth know better than to imitate their sound. It's more the spirit of the thing. I think Kim Gordon's influence on Bikini Kill and other grrrl bands is huge. My Bloody Valentine were clearly listening to American bands like Husker Du and Sonic Youth when they transformed from a twee pop act into their beloved shoegaze combo. The post-rock scene owes a lot to them. Nirvana, Mudhoney, and a bunch of other "grunge" bands.

The most? My Bloody Valentine, without Sonic Youth, would sound a lot more like Zen Arcade than they already do.

Alexander 06.07.2009 08:46 PM

Anyone that creates prolific and innovative music

cagedbird 06.07.2009 10:05 PM

i have been told that Blonde Redhead are Sonic Youth-y.

Moshe 06.07.2009 11:54 PM

Carsick Cars: http://www.myspace.com/carsickcars

TheDom 06.08.2009 12:00 AM

U2.

Dead-Air 06.08.2009 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toxa

Yep. Dust Devils were actually too close for comfort in my book, but you nailed the answer there.