Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bootleggers Beware (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15452)

ThePits 08.11.2007 08:24 AM

Bootleggers Beware

Last night in IndigO2 in London at a Prince aftershow party, a German national was found illicitly recording Prince performing
He had a microphone sewn into a baseball cap with a wire down his back to an inline filter and a high quality recording device
Police were called and a further search found a recording of the main show in The O2
The person had in a bag, tickets for all the remaining Prince shows totally approximately £7,000 in value
All the tickets were cancelled with no hope of a refund
Police in Germany have been asked to conduct a search of the mans residence there
He is expected to be charged this week
Gives you an idea of how hard the industry is cracking down on piracy of live shows, even if you are just recording for yourself

Savage Clone 08.11.2007 08:28 AM

Wow, you would think with the extreme decline of packaged-goods sales of legit studio product, bootlegs would be even tougher to produce for profit now.
Then again, Prince fans are a pretty "collectorish" crowd and he has been heavily bootlegged in the past, so perhaps there is still a good market there.
Guess it's good to find out an artist's taping policy first, eh?

Lance_Uppercut 08.12.2007 10:57 AM

Prince isn't a fan of bootleggers. Most of his live stuff on youtube has been taken off. At a recent show, just before the release of his new album, he ended up playing an off key version of one of the tunes, just so bootleggers wouldn't record what the song actually sounded like.

That's why Prince is jesus

Torn Curtain 08.12.2007 03:58 PM

Thanks for the info!

atsonicpark 08.12.2007 04:18 PM

Hmph.

ThePits 08.12.2007 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
if yr lame enough to bootleg prince.......

nevermind.

If you are lame enough to bootleg any band.............

ThePits 08.13.2007 04:48 AM

Quote:

i dunno...im kinda greatful for a few bands that have been booted...SY

Must be great stealing peoples music and work instead of paying for it

Ask SY what they think of bootleggers

nicfit 08.13.2007 04:51 AM

Sy are ok with taping (as long as it is a no-profit thing).

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...ghlight=policy

dunno if that's the best thread about it, but it's quite common knowledge that they have no problems with that.

jon boy 08.13.2007 06:05 AM

is home taping killing music? or will music continue despite bootlegers etc?

sarramkrop 08.13.2007 06:24 AM

Well, Radiohead actively promote bottleging and still sell records by the trackload. As far as live music is concerned, bootlegers have been almost unofficial historians for many a band. Bootleging official albums is different, that goes to attack the artist's wallet directly and it shouldn't and isn't condoned. Buy the fucking records, if you like them so much.

jon boy 08.13.2007 06:27 AM

its more about money than damaging music in some way, unless your lars ulrich that is.

ThePits 08.13.2007 06:46 AM

Quote:

actually...they promote it. they also promote downloading. pretty common knowledge.

and just for the record....just because someone bootlegs a show doesnt mean they have intentions on selling it. some people just want artifactual evidence/ recorded memories of a specific event. relax.

go talk to lars ulrich or something.

Problem is a lot of people recording shows do intend to sell them

People only have so much disposable income and bootlegs do impact adversely on album sales

How on the one hand can someone say they are a genuine fan of a band and on the other rip off their work?

jon boy 08.13.2007 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePits
Problem is a lot of people recording shows do intend to sell them

People only have so much disposable income and bootlegs do impact adversely on album sales

How on the one hand can someone say they are a genuine fan of a band and on the other rip off their work?

i dont care if the album sales get affected.

sarramkrop 08.13.2007 06:53 AM

Quote:

That doesn't make sense at all. And there are myriad examples of bands that have been bootleged live but still sold millions of records. If you also do some more thorough research, you'll find the the great majority of artists have qualms about the downloading of official material, rather than their live output, which in any case they wouldn't dream of regularly release themselves. For the record, I don't think that I need to own the audio of every single gig a band I like has played.

Torn Curtain 08.13.2007 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
And there are myriad examples of bands that have been bootleged live but still sold millions of records.

Yes, the most bootlegged band is Led Zeppelin so...

ThePits 08.13.2007 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
That doesn't make sense at all. And there are myriad examples of bands that have been bootleged live but still sold millions of records. If you also do some more thorough research, you'll find the the great majority of artists have qualms about the downloading of official material, rather than their live output, which in any case they wouldn't dream of regularly release themselves. For the record, I don't think that I need to own the audio of every single gig a band I like has played.

Some bands, particularly when starting out, have encouraged bootlegging of gigs in order to increase exposure

Some bands even put out free downloads to achieve the same ends

Some bands also sell mllions of albums despite bootlegging and piracy as you state, but are they the exception or the rule?

It doesnt alter the fact that bootlegging is theft and illegal

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
i dont care if the album sales get affected.

Spoken like a true fan........

jon boy 08.13.2007 08:41 AM

Quote:

Some bands, particularly when starting out, have encouraged bootlegging of gigs in order to increase exposure

Some bands even put out free downloads to achieve the same ends

Some bands also sell mllions of albums despite bootlegging and piracy as you state, but are they the exception or the rule?

do you seriously think that because i dont really care if a band sells millions of records or not that i am not a fan?

ThePits 08.13.2007 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
do you seriously think that because i dont really care if a band sells millions of records or not that i am not a fan?

What you actually said was "i dont care if the album sales get affected."

So if album sales drop so low the band gets dropped by the record company as economically unviable and there are no more albums you wont mind?

tesla69 08.13.2007 09:12 AM

Quote:

spoken like a true cop

jon boy 08.13.2007 09:20 AM

i think your taking this way to seriously.

i dont think music gets affected by bootleggers and bands being dropped from labels has very little to do with bootleggers. i take it your not part of any of the trade blogs on this site? i got some good ones, i'll send you them.