Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Music in 2007, some questions for all of you (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=18457)

Rob Instigator 12.21.2007 12:16 PM

Music in 2007, some questions for all of you

First thing, I have been checking up on various people's Top Records of 2007 lists, everyone from pitchfork to a japanese blogger I read and I am slightly dismayed at the lack of any fucking ROCKING music on these lists.

I knowmusic comes in cycles, but goddamn there had to be some fucking loud rocking music made last year that deserves to be top 50, or maybe there was not any? who knows.

Every list is chock full of albums that are soft weepy sentimentalism, or albums that are only good if you are spaced out and listening on headphones, albums not made for communal rockin. is this because we are now in a truly individual listening culture? what with MP3 players and such allowing everyne to exist in their own headphones?

There wer a lot of good albums I enjoyed last year but the two most rockin ones were made by "old people", Dinosaur Jr's BEYOND and Shellac's EXCELLENT ITALIAN GREYHOUND. I have seen dinosaur's on a few top lists but not the shellac record which I thought was better than 1000 hurts. oh well.

I want to hear new rockin, new loud aggression, cathartic rockin. I do not want to hear another fucking Stooges garage rip-off band (awesome color) no matter how good they are.
It has been a couple of years since loud abrasive angry rock ruled the underground, but I think we need it more than ever.

people are fucking pissed off, they are angry, they hate the state of shit in the world right now. I can feel it. FUCK there are so many fucking things to rail against and shout about but everyone keeps singing songs about "love" and "relationships" and BULLSHIT.

I am gonna start a band and in 2008 I hope to blow these pussy fucks out of the water. I HAVE TO. It is required. This is MY america and I am gonna blast forth in a fury the likes of which the hipster dipshits with the haircuts and the make up have never seen. (and it will NOT be METAL)

what do you guys think? am I missing something?
There were a lot of excellent noise recordsd and weird shit out there but nothing ROCKED.

It is time. who is with me?

sarramkrop 12.21.2007 12:26 PM

I'm giving an emotional speech at tonight's christmas party and I'll base it all on your post, Rob. I've really enjoyed reading that. I'm now off to put some make up on and have the first whiskey and orange of the evening. Merry Christmas to you all.

Glice 12.21.2007 12:41 PM

What a cunt you are Marras.

The absence of ROCK music, or even rock music, hasn't bothered me at all. If I could say a word, it'd probably be a farting noise. It has come to my attention this year that ROCK music (or rock music) is something that no longer interests me unless it happens to be good, which it rarely is.

Blah blah mithering blah.

Rob Instigator 12.21.2007 12:45 PM

exactly!!! we need GOOD or GREAT Rock!!!! the wheel can be re-invented countless times, and it is time for a new one.

✌➬ 12.21.2007 12:48 PM

But really all the music that out there as so called "rock" is really a tone down version of Nirvana.

Glice 12.21.2007 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
exactly!!! we need GOOD or GREAT Rock!!!! the wheel can be re-invented countless times, and it is time for a new one.

No! You WILL NOT create GOOD or GREAT rock, you will add to the pile of shit. This is the same if you form any sort of band of any sort.

LESS BANDS THERE IS TOO MUCH ENTIRELY SHIT MUSIC OUT THERE.

Please, if anyone actually takes to heart anything I say: DO NOT FORM A BAND IT WILL BE SHIT. "Maybe I'm different". No, no you're not, your band WILL be shit.

Ok?

Glice 12.21.2007 12:49 PM

This IS NOT directed exclusively at Rob, by the way.

Rob Instigator 12.21.2007 01:18 PM

I say NO!

My band will rock yr tired ears so hard! so incredibly FRESH and unbelievably NEW! It will put yr words to shame.

ROCK DAMNIT! I am tired of the hippy folk BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

atsonicpark 12.21.2007 01:56 PM

here we go again: listen to Toddle. They fucking rock.

val-holla-ing 12.21.2007 02:10 PM

fuck the rock. julian priester and his avant-trombone is where it's at.

really, though, rock doesn't really interest me anymore unless there's some really interesting rhythmic things happening (but not in the math rock/neil pert asshattery way) that strike me at a very gut, primitive level or if it's just so balls to the wall, i can't help but enjoy it. personally, i think boris are holding down the rock, though.

atsonicpark 12.21.2007 02:12 PM

whoa, avant-trombone? Really? point me in the direction of "Avant-trombone" stuff...

anyway, morgan webb rocks:

tesla69 12.21.2007 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
whoa, avant-trombone? Really? point me in the direction of "Avant-trombone" stuff...

check out Steve Swell - his free jazz orchestra release from early this year Nation of We is pretty wild stuff - download only release...

The Stone had a whole month of avant trombone this year, check out their calendar listings from earlier this year...

atsonicpark 12.21.2007 02:22 PM

sweet, thank you.

Everyneurotic 12.21.2007 05:45 PM

neurosis rock, hot cross rock, circle rock, heavy winged can rock, titan rock, boris rock, unsane rock, rtx rock, baroness rock...

i don't see a problem there.

deathbombarc 12.21.2007 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark

anything by Creepy Crawly Claw (post A Minor Forest act w/ trombone). amazing band.

atari 2600 12.21.2007 05:52 PM

Maybe Rob is the exception to the rule. Every rule has at least one, Glice. Still, your words definittely resonate for me and much of how I feel, just as do Rob's.

Crypto should manage bookings and networking (and eventually do the hiring and firing when there's a staff necessary) and I think he's set up with the practice space and some equipment already. I should get my ass down there.

At any rate, hope you can light the world on fire and take this bitch over!

Onani Nic 12.21.2007 06:59 PM

I liked a fair bit of stuff that "rocked" this year. Big Business, High On Fire, Mammatus and Witchcraft come to mind.

StevOK 12.21.2007 10:53 PM

I just haven't been in a rockin' mood lately. My tastes have been more dynamic. My favorite albums of the year were Wilco's Sky Blue Sky, Dino's Beyond, and Modest Mouse's We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank. While they had their more rockin' moments, I liked all the different moods they had.

LittlePuppetBoy 12.21.2007 11:34 PM

I kind of feel the same way you do Rob. But, there is still a fairly good underground rock scene these days. I'm planning on poutting together a group with DEEP distorted bass and extremely screechy guitars.

I'm still planning.

_slavo_ 12.22.2007 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
No! You WILL NOT create GOOD or GREAT rock, you will add to the pile of shit. This is the same if you form any sort of band of any sort.

LESS BANDS THERE IS TOO MUCH ENTIRELY SHIT MUSIC OUT THERE.

Please, if anyone actually takes to heart anything I say: DO NOT FORM A BAND IT WILL BE SHIT. "Maybe I'm different". No, no you're not, your band WILL be shit.

Ok?

A bitter old man you are, glice :D