Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bands you regret having seen (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=22313)

pokkeherrie 06.03.2008 06:58 PM

Bands you regret having seen

I'm talking bands that it could have been feasible for you not to have seen them, but you didn't miss them and now wish you had. So there's no point in saying stuff like "Bon Jovi" unless it wasn't really your (boy/girl)friend, mom, dad, kid or grandma who made you go there.

My biggest one is probably a show with Kiila, Es & Islaja. It's not often that you go to a gig where ALL three bands on the bill are a total joke; looking lacklustre, sloppy, totally desinterested and more than likely stoned off their tits. In their defense, it was on an early Sunday afternoon and probably their first time in Amsterdam. Nevertheless it's pretty much made me stop listening to Fonal stuff afterwards.

acdc518 06.03.2008 07:02 PM

Red Hot chili Peppers. the ticket to that piece of crap cost more then my ticket to Bob Dylan.

Toilet & Bowels 06.03.2008 07:03 PM

all those finnish hippy groups suck live, i don't think it had anything to do with them being in amsterdam

Everyneurotic 06.03.2008 07:07 PM

hahahahahah, their records are still ace, pokke!!

mine, the only one pretty much: red hot chili peppers on the californication tour; played for an hour and 10 minutes or something, played all their hits at the start of the show, everyone except flea didn't move an inch for the whole time and played all of californication and most of bssm, even the awful songs.

the openers were puya (a puerto rican cumbia/nu metal band) had half the house speakers shorting during their set and they blew the shitty peppers off the stage. and, if now you haven't figured it out, puya sucks big fucking time.

Pookie 06.03.2008 07:08 PM

Where do I start?

Bands I've seen that made me want to go deaf:

Iggy Pop
Dinosaur Jr
Sebadoh
Pavement
Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks
Felt
Lush
X-mal Deutschland
Gene Loves Jezebel
Lightning Seeds
Green Day
etc..................

Toilet & Bowels 06.03.2008 07:10 PM

you saw the lightning seeds?!

Savage Clone 06.03.2008 07:10 PM

Akron/Family

Pookie 06.03.2008 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
you saw the lightning seeds?!

I used to gig "swap" with a friend. I'd take him to see a band I liked, he'd take me to see one he liked etc. The next question I suppose is why did I have a friend who liked the Lightning Seeds?

Savage Clone 06.03.2008 07:15 PM

I heard Felt were no good live.
I think they agreed with this.
I'm glad I don't have firsthand experience because I love that music and it is still untarnished for me.

Everyneurotic 06.03.2008 07:17 PM

a band i don't regret seeing but that were very very very lame and actually is the reason i'm glad i saw them is wolf eyes.

Pookie 06.03.2008 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I heard Felt were no good live.
I think they agreed with this.
I'm glad I don't have firsthand experience because I love that music and it is still untarnished for me.

They were pretty bad on record as well. I used to go to so many gigs during that time (late 80s/early 90s), I was bound to go to some real clunkers. I actually saw Felt twice, despite never liking their records. I use to go up to London and go to any gig (within reason).

Toilet & Bowels 06.03.2008 07:42 PM

i've seen wolf eyes 7 times and 5 of those times they were great, the other 2 times it was the venue's fault (appaling sound first time, being way too big and having crappy sound the second)

pokkeherrie 06.03.2008 07:55 PM

agreed on the finnish hippie bands sucking live; i found paavoharju and shogun kunitoki disappointing too... the only one i somewhat enjoyed live were avarus. but the first two were on festivals so i didn't care too much, just like sebadoh, malkmus, etc, etc (agreed with pookie though!)

what made that particular gig so regretful was that it wasn't on a festival and neither was i dragged their by a friend. i went especially for those three bands and not a single one of them seemed even halfway interested in putting some effort into it.

fauni gena 06.03.2008 07:57 PM

Es was bad live? hmmm. well at least their albums, especially Kaikkeuden Kauneus ja Käsittämättömyys and a Love Cycle, are pretty great i think

Everyneurotic 06.03.2008 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i've seen wolf eyes 7 times and 5 of those times they were great, the other 2 times it was the venue's fault (appaling sound first time, being way too big and having crappy sound the second)

the time i saw them it wasn't because of the sound, nate young had problems with a mic not feeding back or something but they weren't loud at all, they pretty much didn't do anything but raise their fists and they played two types of dirges, a doomy one six times and a more drone one with olson playing sax.

mike connelly was by far the only one making any decent noise or actually enjoying himself.

and i saw melt-banana at the same venue the following night and they sounded fierce as fuck.

pokkeherrie 06.03.2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fauni gena
Es was bad live? hmmm. well at least their albums, especially Kaikkeuden Kauneus ja Käsittämättömyys and a Love Cycle, are pretty great i think

well that partcular time i found them very disappointing, yes... i can't tell whether that was a good representation of what their live shows are like normally, but i wouldn't go see them again to find out... the worst one was islaja though who played like she had just gotten out of bed 5 minutes earlier. it's funny though that my favourite show that year (2006) was also by a finnish band, circle.

sometimes a bad show really puts me off listening to bands afterwards; around 2005 i started checking out the back catalogue of the fall and shortly after i saw them live for the first (and only) time. it was a terrible show and put me off from listening to their music for months on end.

wolf eyes are a bit hit and miss in my opinion. two shows in particular stand out for me as amazing; one was very disappointing and the rest were somewhere in between... i've also seen them 7 times i think.

dionysusundone 06.03.2008 08:20 PM

I don't see how anyone could regret seeing Xmal Deutschland.
Awesome band.

For me...Staind. I was 15.

Everyneurotic 06.03.2008 08:21 PM

i think i got severely disappointed by wolf eyes because a) last noise show i saw was justice yeldham and b) i was expecting too much out of it, what with all the people saying how incredible they were live.

it wasn't one i regret seeing at all, but i've seen laptop performers who play better sounds and are more into it.

Savage Clone 06.03.2008 08:22 PM

Avarus were horrible when I saw them, but given what they do, they could have "off nights" as often as good ones.

Tangerine Dream were beyond awful when I saw them, but it was really my own fault for going to see Tangerine Dream in the year 1992, 20 years too late.

Pookie 06.03.2008 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dionysusundone
I don't see how anyone could regret seeing Xmal Deutschland.
Awesome band.

I left half way through. I was with friends so had to go and sit outside. I just couldn't bare it any longer. I swear they played the same song over and over.