Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Just curious... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=38089)

artsygrrl 02.10.2010 01:53 PM

Just curious...

1. How and/or who turned turned you on to SY? (apologies.I know it's been asked before)
2. What was yr favorite band before that?
3. Are yr mom and/or dad into SY? Are you into anything THEY listen to?

EVOLghost 02.10.2010 02:21 PM

1. I first heard of sy through nirvana books. But I finally gave them a listen when my friend bight kill yr idols/cis. Around that time I also started smokin pot.
2.nivana
3. Nope and nah

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.10.2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artsygrrl
1. How and/or who turned turned you on to SY? (apologies.I know it's been asked before)

1) aside from hear say and being a nirvana fan, a really cute chick with an enormous rack when we were in 8th grade was flirting with me and insisted I borrow 1991:Punk Broke vhs cuz she knew I was a Nirvana-head... by coincidence A Thousand Leaves was released the following week and I picked it up.. hooked.

2) Nirvana

3) my pops was into Nirvana obsessively but he did have some sonic discs which reinforced its appeal

SYHamilton 02.10.2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

I was browsing through some 7-inch singles at an independent record store in my hometown, Hamilton, Ont. Canada in 1998. I found a four-song EP called Sounds Blasts and it had Silver Rocket, plus some bands called Pailhead, Munich Eunich and Prong. It had a three dollar price tag on it so I picked it up.
After I heard Silver Rocket I just had to hear more, so I bought A Thousand Leaves, their newest album at the time, as well as Daydream Nation and Goo. Since then, I've collected 13 of their albums, but I lost interest for awhile after NYCG &F came out. I got back into them a few years later, unfortunately missing out on a great album (Murray Street).

Sonic Youth gets very little media attention in Canada and virtually zero airplay. I think our local new rock station (Edge 102.1) has played Kool Thing maybe twice in the last 10 years. Without visiting that record store I probably would know nothing of the band to this day.

Before discovering SY I think my favourite band was probably Soundgarden, who managed to stick around until the late 90s.

And to answer the third question, my parents have only ever listened to classical music- so there was no influence there.

SONIC GAIL 02.10.2010 03:17 PM

Quote:

1. How and/or who turned turned you on to SY? (apologies.I know it's been asked before)I think it was when I started 9th grade. I heard Drunken Butterfly I can't remember where or from who....but that started it all. I then met a friend who was into sy and I recorded all of her cassettes Dirty, Goo, daydream nation, sister, ejstns i've been obsessed and sexy since then
2. What was yr favorite band before that?Nirvana

My mom never trashed what i liked. She played bluegrass, gospel, country, folk and she listened to alot of christian pop crap like Amy Grant. She was a wonderfull musician though. Dad liked the doobie brothers, dylan and zepplin pretty cool. Now that he's getting old he's going through an elevator music jazz phase. Daddy did'nt like the youth I was forbidden to listen to the bestie boys.

Derek 02.10.2010 03:28 PM

1. I had always been aware of them through the internet but my first handling of them was when my aunt supplied me with a mixtape of SY stuff and I liked it so much I had to buy everything else they had done. I was about 12.

2. Ehmm... It was either something like Megadeth or Metallica. I've changed a lot since then I think haha!

3. My parents don't listen to SY and aren't really into anything I like. My mother would put up with some of the more easier listening things I liked.

eternal 02.10.2010 03:29 PM

1. I was obsessed with my bloody valentine and other shoegaze groups and decided to check out another band with lots of jazzmasters and see if i could handle the noise
2. MBV
3. not in the slightest

themawt71 02.10.2010 03:42 PM

1.in 92 or 93 i was 13 or so. went to my older brother's apartment and was looking for new stuff to listen to. i saw goo and asked if i could borrow it and he said i could have it. i remember looking at the art work on the drive home and was really intrigued and just a little scared of them. after that they were my favorite band and i bought dirty that summer when it came out.

2. didn't have a favorite band at that point. a few years earlier it was the doors led zeppelin and jimi hendrix. i was sick of them and i was trying to get into guns n roses but it wasnt happening. then i got goo.

3. parents never liked them. my step dad hated drunken butterfly with the i love you i love you i love you what's your name. he did a pretty funny impression of it.

there is nothing that they like that i really like.

akprodr 02.10.2010 05:55 PM

Quote:

I read the review of DDN in the Village Voice--neat period in my life. For the first time, I had enough disposable income to just go and buy CDs whenever I wanted.

Quote:

Well, it wasn't for some time that they became my fav band--probably around Washing Machine (and Skip Tracer in particular). In '88, probably Siouxsie. In '94, probably the Replacements.

Quote:

HA! My mom kinda likes the Beatles! I can deal with the occasional Benny Goodman but that's about it.

Crumb's Crunchy Delights 02.10.2010 06:33 PM

MET SAM FROM THE BAND AT AN AFTER GIG HOEDOWN AND THE REST IS HIS STORY
SAXON PRIEST
THE ONLY THING MY MOM AND/OR DAD ARE IN IS A SHALLOW GRAVE LOL ROFL IMFAO GROFL

mysonichaircut 02.10.2010 07:03 PM

1. I guess it was the skateboard-szene in the 100% video which attract my attention, since i was a skater then. So i listened to them in my local record store and bought - no, not dirty, but "confusion is sex". See how commercial works.

2. Nirvana, and before that: the Doors, and before that: Countrey Joe and the fish, and before that: New Kids on the Block or something like that.

3. Yes to both. My mom was a deadhead, both where smoking pot, and listened to Gratefull Dead, Cream and so on. So i did the same. Then i discovered punk, a little later Nirvana, then SY. My mom always said she loved sonic youth, but i never believed her. I just couldnt belive an adult could bear this noise.

stu666 02.10.2010 08:03 PM

1. Probably around 1992 when i was 12 listening to John Peel / Nirvana. Between 1995-2005 i didn't really listen to much SY, i was into jungle. They're my fav now though.

2. U2 :o

3. My parents aren't into SY. Stones and Bowie.

Death & the Maiden 02.10.2010 08:11 PM

1. I was familiar with their name, and the Silver Rockets/Kool Things - 20 Years of Sonic Youth documentary happened to be on TV. I watched it and bought Daydream Nation a few days later.
2. The Smiths and the Ramones
3. My dad thought most of DDN was pretty aimless, like SY were just jamming and going nowhere. With my dad I share Nick Cave, The Byrds and with my mum the Sex Pistols, The Pogues.

joe11121 02.14.2010 10:09 PM

1. I was searching youtube and watched some videos
2. I didn't really listen to music much before then hah
3. no, and not really

SuperCreep 02.14.2010 10:25 PM

i was really into the pixies, so someone stupidly recommended sonic youth to me as well. i hated them for months, until one of my friends was selling some CDs, one of which being sonic nurse, for $2. i decided to give them another try for that price and i never looked back.
that year (senior year of high school) was all about pixies, joy division, the cure, the smiths, and talking heads for me.
dad: i doubt he ever knew who they were. my dad didn't listen to much "contemporary" music either, just a lot of jewish cantorial stuff and everything on the "oldies" station.

mom: she knows they're my favorite band, but she's never listened to them (afaik anyway.) she likes the beatles and simon & garfunkel to a certain degree, both of which i love the hell out of.

Whiny Minotaur 02.15.2010 08:53 AM

1. I have no idea. I think I just heard alot of good things about them and I decided to look up some videos in youtube. Maybe.

2. My favorite band was Radiohead. I still love them though.

3. Hardly.

chicka 02.15.2010 11:44 AM

Goo came out in 90 and I was 35 at that time.
the Doors and Carlos Santana
nope Dad's 84 and Mom's 78. Dad has surprised me in recent years as he fell for the Eagles when he saw them on tv.

Concrete Abutments 02.15.2010 12:06 PM

Wayne Rogers (Major Stars) dragged me kicking and screaming to a Sonic Youth gig in Providence, RI circa 1986. I've never been the same.

Rob Instigator 02.15.2010 01:03 PM

1. How and/or who turned turned you on to SY? (apologies.I know it's been asked before) - I read a review of Sister in People magazine of all places. That is the first i hear of sonic youth. when Daydream nation came out I saw the video for TeenaGE rIOT on 120 minutes and was instantly hooked. that is the first SY I ever heard and bought. (I was 15 years old)
- Megadeth. It was either Megadeth or the Jimi Hendrix Experience.
3. Are yr mom and/or dad into SY? Are you into anything THEY listen to? - my mom does not listen to sonic youth. mom enjoys early beatles, the bee geees, that's preety muych where our musical worlds collide apart from soul train funk

ni'k 02.15.2010 03:02 PM

noone cares about sy anymore, they didn't die on 9/11 and so they have no integrity