Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Best Coast (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=43066)

Everyneurotic 11.26.2010 02:36 AM

Best Coast

So, Best Coast!

Amazingly well done retro poppy goodness or hipster wankfest?

DeadDiscoDildo 11.26.2010 02:37 AM

The music is OK but she is a twat and the lyrics are super repetitive and boring...

same lyrics in every song.

Nothing of importance.

Everyneurotic 11.26.2010 02:39 AM

I like the album a lot, because it has great melodies and good guitar riffs and very well done arrangements.

Also the album sequence does it for me to listen to it a lot.

The lyrics are dumb, but it's dumb pop music anyway.

Everyneurotic 11.26.2010 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
The music is OK but she is a twat and the lyrics are super repetitive and boring...

same lyrics in every song.

Nothing of importance.

I made the mistake of following her on Twitter. I'm thankful i don't have to read her dumb shit anymore.

atsonicpark 11.26.2010 03:01 AM

There's not much to the album, it's another one of those dum Dum Girls/Vivian Girls type bands without being as good, imo. But.. you know what? I like it just fine.

The simple songs, simple riffs, and simple melodies are simple, yes, but also appealing -- nothing groundbreaking, there's no depth to it whatsoever, but it's also not BAD. And that's important. She has a good voice... the songs sound good. There may be much to it, all in all, but just decent songwriting and good melodies (and the album is SHORT, thankfully -- even one minute longer would have been overkill) is good enough for me to give it a pass. All in all, not as good as Vivian Girls (since they're a lot sloppier and noisier and have a cooler sound imo) but about a trillion times better than that boring Blink-182wannabe Waves band... oh, and I think this band is a billion times better than Pocahaunted too. Nothing lifechanging, but there's plenty of good melodies on here, and that is ultimately very important to me -- most bands can't write a good melody to save their life. Even if these melodies are mostly taken from 60's girl groups, it still is a sound that appeals to me.

TheMadcapLaughs 11.26.2010 06:35 AM

i like the album

EVOLghost 11.26.2010 08:08 AM

Quote:

Nothing of importance.

^ this. just...that I don't really pay much attention to lyrics.

the ikara cult 11.26.2010 10:01 AM

The album is really nicely produced, and there are a couple of great songs on there - Goodbye is my favourite. Dont listen to them expecting great lyrics, its breezy, happy music for happy people

loubarret 11.26.2010 10:34 AM

Oh i wish he was my boyfriend/I would love him to the very end.........

lyrical it's irritating at times but I like the album in small doses

Everyneurotic 11.26.2010 06:36 PM

Funny, i think she's way better than Vivian Girls. She knows how to write songs, whether Vivian Girls turned to shit rather fast.

atsonicpark 11.26.2010 06:44 PM

I don't see how their songs are really that different. They're both verse chorus verse chorus guitar solo chorus. Vivian Girls have a lot more energy and noise and better melodies imo. Better solos definitely. Both bands sound extremely similiar to my ears, except Vivian Girls just got a great drummer, after ditching the kinda crappy one (who joined Best coast) and they got keyboards now apparently..

Everyneurotic 11.26.2010 06:46 PM

Their second album is one of the worst things i've ever heard in my life.

Yes, they sound similar (sixties melodies, simple riffs, etc.) I just think BC has better melodies and more thought out songs. Vivian Girls' melodies are pretty much the same in every song.

I really like VG's first album and i went to see them live and they were good.

Derek 11.26.2010 06:50 PM

I listened to the Best Coast album a few times and it became a candidate for 'Recycle Bin'.

atsonicpark 11.26.2010 06:55 PM

Man I didn't think the second Vivian Girls album was too incredibly different than the first one, besides the songs being longer, a bit darker, and you can hear what the girl is saying now. It seemed like a natural progression.. though, on the other hand, the songs on the first album were a lot better. However, 90% of their best songs aren't even on their albums at all, they're on the, like, 7 singles the band has released in the past 2 years.

That's funny, Derek; I've heard it many times since my girlfriend likes it a lot. It's one of those albums I'd probably never listen to in my spare time but since I burned it for her I hear it and enjoy it just fine.

Derek 11.26.2010 07:04 PM

Vivian Girls never lasted long on my computer either. I LIKE this sort of stuff when I hear it but I'd never listen to it out of my own choice.

atsonicpark 11.26.2010 07:06 PM

I love them. I listen to em all the time. Great band. Get their singles, like second date. GReat stuff.

atsonicpark 11.26.2010 07:06 PM

http://rogkentroll.blogspot.com/2009...ian-girls.html

their discography. highly reccomend all the singles and shit, so good

atsonicpark 11.26.2010 07:08 PM

wow I'd never even heard these two songs

5. Snack Attack
6. Telepathic Love

DeadDiscoDildo 11.27.2010 04:04 AM

My band is better than best coast.

tesla69 03.03.2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

My band is better than best coast.

If they aren't you should just frakkin give up now!

EVOLghost 03.03.2011 04:23 PM

More like Best Toast!

dazedcola 03.03.2011 06:21 PM

more like best roast

hipster_bebop_junkie 08.04.2011 01:53 PM

New Best Coast song:
http://bestycoasty.blogspot.com/2011...-me-to-be.html

tesla69 08.08.2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie

and we care why?

hipster_bebop_junkie 08.09.2011 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesla69
and we care why?

Eh? If you don't care about something, it's not too hard to just ignore it and move on to a thread which content is more akin to what you are looking for when you're wandering around in this board. It's not as if i had dumped the fucking link on your inbox or anything like that. Your rhetoric was uncalled for (hunting positive rep points, maybe?). Funny that you speak in plural as well, either you are deluded into thinking that you represent some other people's opinions besides your own, or perhaps you just forgot to take your meds. Not that i think a subject such as any given Best Coast song is worthy of spending my time in some useless flame-war, but...

stu666 08.09.2011 06:03 AM

well said hbj, i hope you carry on posting links like this which some people might not see otherwise.

tesla69 08.09.2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Eh? If you don't care about something, it's not too hard to just ignore it and move on to a thread which content is more akin to what you are looking for when you're wandering around in this board. It's not as if i had dumped the fucking link on your inbox or anything like that. Your rhetoric was uncalled for (hunting positive rep points, maybe?). Funny that you speak in plural as well, either you are deluded into thinking that you represent some other people's opinions besides your own, or perhaps you just forgot to take your meds. Not that i think a subject such as any given Best Coast song is worthy of spending my time in some useless flame-war, but...

or maybe you can take your shitty half assed shit music to another board and not water down the Sonic Youth board with this horrible weak assed commercial promotion, you want to boost a weak cliched aesthetic be my guest, but when you spread feces around my neighborhood, I'm gonna let you know. But some people just need to worship at the trough of the LA heroin lords....

Keeping It Gimple 08.09.2011 09:48 AM

yeah this sonic youth board is no place for weak watered down cliched commercial music

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.09.2011 12:21 PM

^ Agreed.

ICP & Avril Lavigne ONLY plz!

deflinus 08.09.2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

or maybe you can take your shitty half assed shit music to another board and not water down the Sonic Youth board with this horrible weak assed commercial promotion, you want to boost a weak cliched aesthetic be my guest, but when you spread feces around my neighborhood, I'm gonna let you know. But some people just need to worship at the trough of the LA heroin lords....

hipster_bebop_junkie 08.11.2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Your beef would be a bit reasonable if you were a member of the band. You just give the impression that you do not know the rules of the neighborhood too well, and frankly, you just come across as a cretin.

Torn Curtain 01.06.2012 03:21 PM

Interview about the new record on pitchfork:
http://pitchfork.com/news/45012-best...ith-jon-brion/

the ikara cult 01.06.2012 05:16 PM

They are both well done retro poppy goodness AND hipster wankfest.

Pocohaunted or no Pocohaunted

Torn Curtain 05.09.2012 03:28 PM

New album 'The only place' streamed on NPR's First listen

dazedcola 05.09.2012 03:47 PM

on first impression this record isnt grabbing me as much as the last although i love that "last year" song.

"what a year this day has been, what day this year has been"

tesla69 05.09.2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Your beef would be a bit reasonable if you were a member of the band. You just give the impression that you do not know the rules of the neighborhood too well, and frankly, you just come across as a cretin.

fuck your rules, I don't play well. you think is this is a gated community?

Genteel Death 05.09.2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

I disagree with this. You should put all your charm into convincing people something is shit.

hipster_bebop_junkie 05.15.2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

fuck your rules, I don't play well. you think is this is a gated community?

I'm nobody on this board, therefore I don't provide any rules of my own. This is just an avalanche of misunderstandings at this point... I wouldn't think it would be so hard to read and get a grasp of what the fuck it is asked in the board's main page. Not that it really matters so much, I suppose. I'm fine with you posting your conspiracy theories, Sonic Youth-related content, pictures of your shelf if you so please, and even your hatred for Best Coast and any other thing you wish. Still, it seems so odd to me that you focus such amount of bitterness on this subject. If I would consider something to be so worthless, I wouldn't waste my breath on it, and maybe that's why I'm not shitting on that Skrillex thread, but since you somewhat imply that you are an advocate for only good discussion on this board, I'm inclined to think you're already on that. If Best Coast it's your only focus, it makes me think that someone from there owes you something. Whatever. Perhaps you are only really way too critical and know what's good, and wanna spread the wisdom so that we can get a grasp of what shouldn't actually matter in our little minds. If so, that's cool, though I won't follow if you won't provide strong arguments... Actually, I'm closing my participation on this thread, no matter if a cat fight might be fun. I don't care how good or bad a player you are either. I opt to not be on the playground. Fact of the matter, I'm not listening to Best Coast lately. Too busy with my nose in the Avant-garde, but if I get back to their stuff, I'll keep my impressions to myself. Not too hard. Enthusiasm can be kept inside or away from here just in the same way as apathy if that's one's actual intention.

Genteel Death: I'd rather focus my limited charm in hanging out with the señoritas, and even there it will be useless and lead me nowhere most of the times. I'm out of this thread... I also would like to think I don't defend shittiness, but what the fuck do I really know?

EVOLghost 05.15.2012 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I disagree with this. You should put all your charm into convincing people something is shit.

That's why yer a twat.

boxofburton 05.16.2012 02:23 PM

Don't like this new one, not that I liked their first album either