Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New Pixies (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=50690)

Count Mecha 05.10.2011 05:54 AM

New Pixies

Surprised no one has mentioned the news that new Pixies material could be on the way.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011...d-new-material

Granted it could just end up just being wishful thinking, given how those guys are. But the prospect of hearing any new Pixies would be pretty interesting.

evollove 05.10.2011 09:09 AM

A quote from Frank would've gone a long way toward convincing me this is real.

floatingslowly 05.10.2011 09:28 AM

what Bono wants, Bono GETS.

noisereductions 05.10.2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Mecha
Surprised no one has mentioned the news that new Pixies material could be on the way.

yeah it's hard to get excited about something so tentative. Especially since the rumor has floated around for years.

Pookie 05.10.2011 04:11 PM

Nobody's mentioned it because the Pixies are fucking shit

SHIT I SAY

SHIT

SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Derek 05.10.2011 04:19 PM

New material would just sound like subpar Frank Black songs, it won't have the flair of their early days. Next.

floatingslowly 05.10.2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
Nobody's mentioned it because the Pixies are fucking shit

SHIT I SAY

SHIT

SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I stand aghast at your flippant mockery, you currish malcontent.

hevusa 05.10.2011 05:33 PM

I am glad i got to see the pixies live.

Pax Americana 05.10.2011 05:59 PM

I just saw 'em live, and they were fantastic. They might be more tight as a live outfit now then when they were together originally. That said, I'm not sure how new Pixies material would be. Frank's recent output both solo and with the Catholics wasn't anything special and I thought Kim's last album with the Breeders was pretty much awful. I'm almost afraid they'll record something new, I'll end up hating it, and then it'll ruin the Pixies legacy in my mind. The Weirdness, anyone???

SonikJesus 05.11.2011 06:24 AM

i dunno...

Jeremy 05.11.2011 09:55 PM

They've all been hinting at it for so long, it's hard not to take it with several million grains of salt.

I don't think we'll ever get new Pixies material and I think it's for the best. I think all of them realize to an extent, it's just a matter of some of them actually accepting it, you know?

~Jeremy~

the ikara cult 05.11.2011 10:16 PM

theyve been taking the $$$$ for about 8 years, its about time they at least offered the conciet of "new material", they were as good as it got in their original incarnation but this length of a reuinion was taking the piss

SuperCreep 05.12.2011 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pax Americana
I just saw 'em live, and they were fantastic. They might be more tight as a live outfit now then when they were together originally. That said, I'm not sure how new Pixies material would be. Frank's recent output both solo and with the Catholics wasn't anything special and I thought Kim's last album with the Breeders was pretty much awful. I'm almost afraid they'll record something new, I'll end up hating it, and then it'll ruin the Pixies legacy in my mind. The Weirdness, anyone???

my thoughts precisely.

i don't think they'll record a new one, though. i can't imagine any of them would be interested.

Count Mecha 05.12.2011 08:39 AM

All practical points, and I agree with most. I didn't know it was a rumor that had floated around for a while. I always figured the band as a whole was clear that there wouldn't be anything new. I recall some Kim interview where she seems pretty staunch that there would be no album.

In any case, it's likely not a good idea but hell, I'd still listen to it.

noisereductions 05.12.2011 08:54 AM

remember that shitty song they did release though? "Bang Thwomp" or something?

Count Mecha 05.12.2011 11:39 AM

I don't think anyone's going to approach it with that mindset.

SYRFox 05.12.2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinnikpasswordforgetter
how can anyone not realise its going to be shit? how can the pixies themselves not realise its going to be shit? there is no way. no. way.

i think the pixies themselves realise it's going to be shit. but they also realise that other people don't realise it's going to be shit. and therefore also realise that they will get a lot of money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinnikpasswordforgetter
wow. a new pixies album. i cant wait to go to the cd shop, if its still open by then, and purchase it. then i cant wait to get home, and sit in my room and insert the disc into the cd player. omg. i wonder what track 7 will be like? or track 8? omg. im going to sit there and stare at the wall and listen to the whole album in order. omg. i wonder what the lyrics to track 4 will be about? i wonder what the riffs will be like. things in my life are finally going to make sense when i'm just like sitting there and the pixies are playing and its like -yes. yes. i'll listen to the thing the whole way through while staring at the cover art. then im going to take a gun and shoot myself in the face. omg.

you need to spend blahblahblah

Genteel Death 05.12.2011 01:12 PM

A tentative tracklist and album cover appeared online.

Side A

1 - The Shit Song
2 - Let Me Rape My Fans' Wallets
3 - Where Is My Talent Now?
4 - Gone To Shit Pt. 1 & 2

Side B
1 - I'M Having A Laugh. You?
2 - Another Shit Pixies Song
3 - Gigantic Turd
4 - I Refuse To Die

the big quasar 05.13.2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Mecha
I didn't know it was a rumor that had floated around for a while.

There were rumors he was into field hockey players ...

atsonicpark 05.13.2011 06:16 PM

Black and Deal have written like 5 good songs between them in the past 20 years. The 2 (yes, there are two -- though one is a cover -- and the other is BAM THWOK, the worst Pixies song ever) "new" Pixies songs released since they got back together are HORRIBLE. This would suck...