Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   drum n bass (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2376)

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 05.29.2006 11:36 PM

drum n bass

Tell me about drum n bass, I know nothing about it, but it seems compelling to me.

Glice 05.30.2006 08:10 AM

Where to start? It's not about records, there are very few good albums in drum and bass... there're a couple of the more cerebral ones that are ok (Photek, Ed Rush and Optical) and there're a couple of really well known ones that are pretty gack (every Roni Size album). The best recommendation is to get to a dnb club, there's no point downloading an album, you really should just get out there in a club where the bass is so loud you duodenum is bouncing.

alyasa 05.30.2006 08:15 AM

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:2640
DJ Spooky collaborated with KG on SYR 5.

Toilet & Bowels 05.30.2006 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
The best recommendation is to get to a dnb club

and to travel 10 years into the past.

Glice 05.30.2006 08:57 AM

There's still loads of clubs/ free parties in the southwest that do d'n'b... I've not really found much of it elsewhere though. Something about the area maybe.

A Thousand Threads 05.30.2006 08:58 AM

Listen to Amon Tobin

pao-lino 05.30.2006 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alyasa
http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:2640
DJ Spooky collaborated with KG on SYR 5.

I guess you meant dj olive!

fishmonkey 05.30.2006 09:02 AM

say this loads of times in your head.. maRagamuffin...medoopdoop down..boom shalak lak boom.
and bang a load of dustbin lids and biscuit tins with sticks, against a wall of bass drums sounds coming from a beatbox of some description.

Toilet & Bowels 05.30.2006 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
There's still loads of clubs/ free parties in the southwest that do d'n'b... I've not really found much of it elsewhere though. Something about the area maybe.

yeah, drum n bass is alive and well, for sure, there's drum n bass club round the corner from me in london, (herbal) and round where i grew up in hertfordshire there are all these illegal raves in the summer that are all drum n bass. what i meant is that it's been close to 10 years since drum n bass was at its best, or even any good, i haven't heard any good new drum n bass since the 90s.

TheDom 05.30.2006 09:17 AM

Lightning Bolt!
Drum n bass duo!

..oh wait..

Glice 05.30.2006 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
yeah, drum n bass is alive and well, for sure, there's drum n bass club round the corner from me in london, (herbal) and round where i grew up in hertfordshire there are all these illegal raves in the summer that are all drum n bass. what i meant is that it's been close to 10 years since drum n bass was at its best, or even any good, i haven't heard any good new drum n bass since the 90s.

Right, yeah, I'm totally with you on that... there was a period when we'd go and see Nicky Blackmarket about twice a month, before he was a big name... he used to totally rip every night, and then he suddenly got some money and bigger shows and turned to utter shite. Actually, it suddenly occurs to me that I have no idea whether it's a man or a woman, I never bother to look at the DJ booth.

Who was that chap that did bodyrock? Names escape me now, but he was absolutely blistering when I first saw him, and then utterly shite a couple of years ago...

Toilet & Bowels 05.30.2006 10:17 AM

nicky blackmarket is a bloke if i remember correct. actually last year i went to a warp party and plaid played a drum n bass set and it was one of the best DJ sets i've ever heard.

dunno about bodyrock, was that a clubnight or a tune?

Everyneurotic 05.30.2006 10:27 AM

dj spooky did collaborate with kim.

dnb recommnedations? download a 100 tracks and you'll find about 5 that are great.

alyasa 05.30.2006 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pao-lino
I guess you meant dj olive!

Actually DJ Spooky did collaborate with Kimmy, but i think it was only one track and uncredited, so...

Anyway Amon Tobin is the bomb, Venetian Snares is the bomb, Early Aphex Twin is the bomb, DHR's Harder Than The Rest is also the bomb....

Get those, and get jungle'd. :) hehex

alyasa 05.30.2006 10:37 AM

Bodyrock? wasn't that a Moby tune?

Everyneurotic 05.30.2006 10:42 AM

actually, dj spooky collaborated with free kitten, not just kim:

Quote:

On 1997's Sentimental Education, they inject some electronic beats and grooves into the angular guitar noise (DJ Spooky even helps out on one track).

alyasa 05.30.2006 10:45 AM

Sorry. my bad. I love DJ Spooky a lot, and the title track off of Optometry is something that has rekindled my love for music... :) It's breathtaking.

jon boy 05.30.2006 10:46 AM

a lot of drum n bass i fucking loath. but occasionaly there is the odd thing that comes along which is pure amazing.

a lot of the time its hard to dance to as well.

alyasa 05.30.2006 10:50 AM

Most of it is just cookie-cutter crap. Drum'n'bass as a genre was about breaking conventions and bucking tradition. How do you make a tradition out of that? Basically drum'n'bass now is just IDM. The money-makers and spinners again have decided to take something that already existed for ages, dressed it in fcuk and MAC, and call it IDM. I thought all dance music was supposed to be intelligent. If it wasn't, it'd just be a couple of villagers banging on a drum after a peyote session, wouldn't it?

Toilet & Bowels 05.30.2006 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alyasa
Drum'n'bass as a genre was about breaking conventions and bucking tradition.

er, no. it was, is and always has been just party music.