Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   your experiences meeting SY (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=32596)

mattmacneil 07.02.2009 01:50 AM

your experiences meeting SY

For those who have met any of the members of SY, how did you feel afterward?

I just met Thurston, Steve and Lee in Toronto (at separate times) and I gotta say, Thurston seemed quite standoffish. I'm not one to immediately label him an 'asshole' or anything like that, nor was I running up to him, screaming "I LUV U OMG!!!", but I saw him walking along the street, hours before the Massey Hall show, and I approached him. We spoke, he signed my DDN book, gave me a smile and a handshake, but still seemed rather distant.

Later, I was hanging around the stage door before the show (where I met Steve) and these two old hounds were trying to score autographs so they could sell em, (They knew NOTHING about Sonic youth. He asked me to point out 'the drummer' on the Jet Set album, and then asked me for his name) and were shunned by Thurston straight up, which I respect.

Anyway, I met Lee after the show, with a crowd waiting for him. He was quick and impersonal, but I managed to get a picture with him and everything.

It was a dream come true.

So, what were they like when you met them? Anything specific you noticed?

This Is Not Here 07.02.2009 02:06 AM

Thurston wasn't neccesarily standoffish with me, he just seemed pretty chilled out and relaxed. When you're that excited to meet someone it can seem that they're being cold just because they ain't excited to meet you. I spoke to Thurston for almost 10 minutes I guess, it was the night before they did Jools Holland so we discussed the merits or lack of Mr. Holland, and who was worse Lilly Allen or Depeche Mode. Also discussed Dylan for a bit, because I'd seen him 2 days before and so had Steve. Kim was right there, but she was speaking to whats-his-name-guitarist-from-the-YYYs, and various other rock stars, so I felt it would be too rude to say "step aside rock stars, I want to speak to my Kim". I did wish her happy birthday and said thanks for the show to a muffled reply of "thankyou".
Also spoke to Steve that show, he was genuinely extremely good natured and polite, and seemed actually interested in what we were saying. He was inquistive to learn which of the SY shows I saw in a week (Austria, Donau, then London Scala) I enjoyed most.
Lee I spoke too, albeit briefly in Austria. It wasn't long enough for anything of particular interest to be said or happen, but long enough to say we met him.
All in all, Sonic Youth are a great band to meet, they are genuinely nice people. However, that said when you meet them remember whilst it's special to you, there have been a 100 kids like you approach them that day alone. I'm not sure I'll ever get to speak to Kim, which is a shame because I think we'd have the most to say to eachother. My attempts to approach her in Austria and London met with her ignoring me/mumbling a mono-sylabic reply. I do not beleive she is up-herself, it's not like she was speaking to any other fans on both occasions, I reckon shes just pretty shy in those situations. However, in London she was the only member of SY who remembered me from the week before, and gave me a personal smile when she left the stage.

Gang Of One 07.02.2009 05:02 AM

For my only time in New York, on Sunday 13th 1999, i went to the Seaport Atrium (or so it seems according to the Concert Chronology), which was really only a shopping mall.
On the floor with all the restaurants i caught a glimpse of Lee Ranaldo and Thurston Moore eating some pizza on a bench and couldn't believe my eyes.
There was apparently a Jazz festival happening that night and Sonic Youth were scheduled to play (i had no idea of that).
When i saw Thurston at a cash machine i went to him to ask him at what time they played. I told him i had a plain to catch to fly back to France so i wouldn't be able to attend the show, he nicely invited me to the soundcheck they were gonna do.
So there i stood, alone, while they performed instrumentally then-unknown songs (Renegade Princess and Free City Rhymes) and a good rendition of Expressway.
So Thurston was very nice, but we didn't chat a lot. Kim seemed cold on the stage, maybe only focused. I remember Lee and Thurston did not seem very happy with Steve's playing, maybe he didn't totally master the new songs. The whole experience was very cool of course and Thurston seemed like a very nice guy.

Bal 07.02.2009 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
so we discussed the merits or lack of Mr. Holland, and who was worse Lilly Allen or Depeche Mode.

so what did he say?
i met Steevo once in Paris.
probably the nicest person ever.

ZEROpumpkins 07.02.2009 05:36 AM

I want to know how you meet these people. At the two gigs I've been to, I can't think of any way one can approach the band.

noisereductions 07.02.2009 07:16 AM

I met Thurston on the Murray Street tour. I was pretty drunk on gin and tonics. And I said "hey man, I always had you on my list of people I'd hug if I met." And he said "oh yeah, cool." And he bended way down (I'm only like 5'5") and gave me a hug. I figured he'd then be sort of all set with such a fanboy, but he was pretty chatty, asking me what I thought of the new album. Then we talked about his freejazz discs, and the recently released In The Fishtank EP. I thought he was really nice.

My friend met Kim around the same time, and told her about how he had a friend who was obsessed with Sonic Youth, so she took this picture as a kind gesture:

deflinus 07.02.2009 07:29 AM

i think they're pretty cool people to meet. i remember i went to thurston's solo show in hoboken and saw thurston eating at a table right next to us. of course i waited until he finished his meal and approached him. he was pretty nice, shook my hand and posed for a picture for me. "rocking out the camera phone" he said. i told him to kick ass at the show. i met steve the same night and he was nice. shook his hand and posed for a picture. it was pretty cool how they were just hanging out at the place, along with everyone else.

i met lee at the filmore in philly and he was hanging out at the balcony with everyone else while the opening band played. i caught him and shook his hand. he even asked for my name, which was really cool. i should of said my last name!

ZEROpumpkins 07.02.2009 07:48 AM

These are really awesome stories.

hooligan37 07.02.2009 07:56 AM

Nothing but praises from me. I've met them 3 different times. First was at a pub in Providence a couple hours before the show during Nurse tour. They were all there except Lee eating dinner. I stood at the bar and flagged down their waitress and told her I'd pick up the tab. After they ate I was given the $86 dollar bill from the waitress and they told me to come over. I talked to them for a while and they all asked me questions like where i was from, what i did for work. Then they let me take a couple pictures with them. What surprised me most that during the concert Thurston said "I'd like to thank Jeff for treating me to my Lobster dinner". Then after show, Kim walk by and gave me her bass pic. Sounds magical, but it's a true story.

Other time before the CBGB show I ran into Thurston on Bleeker St. He had a small bag (probably water and twinkies), and I just said Hi,shook his hand and said good luck tonight. My friend took a couple of pics with him but i didnt.

Third time I was at the Brookyn No Fun Fest 2009 (show sucked), and I was by myself on the second floor bar. Kim and some other older guy came up next to me. I said hi to Kim and told her I'd buy her a drink. She ordered and I told waitress I was paying. Then waitress said theirs are on the house. Kim saw I was a little disapointed, so she said thanks anyway and held up her drink for a toast. That was it.

So I dont know why people would think they are snobby. I guess I'm lucky to meet them a few times but I've been to about 21 of their shows. But I doubt I'll see them this friday. But who knows. I got my fingers crossed.

SuperCreep 07.02.2009 08:23 AM

I'm going to get a shirt at the Philly show tonight for Steve (and maybe Thurston and Lee) to sign. I don't know. I'm kind of nervous. I've never met anyone famous that I really admired (except Kim Deal for about three seconds.) Steve seems like the most approachable out of everyone. I have things planned out that I could say, but once I'm there, it'll probably turn all into nonsensical blabbering. It seems so ridiculous since they're only human after all...

Anyone know what the best way to go about meeting them is? I'm going to be there early tonight and I can afford to wait a while after the show.

Deniedwings 07.02.2009 08:39 AM

I met Lee after they played their set at Penns Landing in 2003? I just had him sign an album cover and that was pretty much it. I've heard stories where Kim is standoffish and doesnt chat with fans.

Deniedwings 07.02.2009 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperCreep
Anyone know what the best way to go about meeting them is? I'm going to be there early tonight and I can afford to wait a while after the show.

There is a door on the side where they come out. You'll see it.

eternal 07.02.2009 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattmacneil
For those who have met any of the members of SY, how did you feel afterward?

I just met Thurston, Steve and Lee in Toronto (at separate times) and I gotta say, Thurston seemed quite standoffish. I'm not one to immediately label him an 'asshole' or anything like that, nor was I running up to him, screaming "I LUV U OMG!!!", but I saw him walking along the street, hours before the Massey Hall show, and I approached him. We spoke, he signed my DDN book, gave me a smile and a handshake, but still seemed rather distant.

Later, I was hanging around the stage door before the show (where I met Steve) and these two old hounds were trying to score autographs so they could sell em, (They knew NOTHING about Sonic youth. He asked me to point out 'the drummer' on the Jet Set album, and then asked me for his name) and were shunned by Thurston straight up, which I respect.

Anyway, I met Lee after the show, with a crowd waiting for him. He was quick and impersonal, but I managed to get a picture with him and everything.

It was a dream come true.

So, what were they like when you met them? Anything specific you noticed?

that's insanely lucky to see all 3 seperately! where was Thurston hanging out if I might ask?

looking glass spectacle 07.02.2009 08:48 AM

at a free kitten show thurston gave me a sandwich and kim put me on the guest list. that was pretty cool. years later i saw lee play with ikue mori and managed to say hi and shake his hand...

verme (prevaricator) 07.02.2009 09:20 AM

i've only been to one sonic youth show and didn't have the chance to meet them, and probably wouldn't if i had, unless it was a very casual thing. i don't like the idea of harassing people just because some selfish desire of mine.

barnaclelapse 07.02.2009 09:50 AM

I've had some pretty awesome experiences not meeting them.

Can I talk about those?

demonrail666 07.02.2009 10:27 AM

I've met Thurston a few times. He seemed OK. Not stand offish at all. I spoke to Kim when she was over doing the Harry Crews gigs with Lydia Lunch and she was great. I never spoke to Lydia which I'm sort of grateful for because I did have an enormous crush on her at that time. I've said hello to Lee and Steve but never actually spoken to them properly. Steve does seem ridiculously nice though.

jnic 07.02.2009 10:41 AM

I was the Ray Davies Show at Irving Plaza in 2006, Thx to a good friend who got me VIP passes....anyways, as the set break began, i went outside for a cigarette, who do i see walk out to smoke? Lee!! For me, this was really cool, because my favorite member of SY is also a Ray Davies fan.
I did not want to bother him, so I just went up to him and with my hand out and said "Thank you". He was nice enough to shake my hand and say "For what?" For which I reply back, "For your music!" He just smiled and I went back inside for set 2.

l'voyeur 07.02.2009 10:50 AM

some years ago a cool person send me great photos of when he meet SY later of a concert...he and their friends with Thurston and Lee only..T and L appear very relaxed and friendly with him...

Thurston,Lee and Steve are very cool but my favorite SY member is Kim...she's monosilabic/shy but very enigmatic at the same time...and I like that...:)

Rob Instigator 07.02.2009 11:13 AM

I hung out after a Sonic Nurse show in Houston and talked to Steve among a lot of people, and he was cool as fuck, and he signed my sonic nurse shirt which I have not worn again to this day.

SONIC LIFE!