Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Email "provider" suggestions... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=35857)

nicfit 11.18.2009 05:30 AM

Email "provider" suggestions...

So, I like gmail a lot, coz I'm used to have google as my startup page in my browser and with gmail I can see right there if I got mail.
Now, I need a sort of "serious" email address (something like: name.surname@wathever.com ), but every fucking possible combination of my name+surname is already used by somedamnoneelse on gmail.

suggestions on other nice free email thingies?
many of the ones well known in italy have lame main pages with lots of useless/annoying stuff (popups, ads, news I don't give a shit about etc), I'd like a super simple thing like gmail :( :( .

uff.
sad world.
_slavo_ , if you're reading this be advised there's something in my fridge I'm waiting to get ready to use for an experiment for the vid :D.
fun times ahead.

pbradley 11.18.2009 05:54 AM

By serious email address, I assume you mean like business emails such as name.surname@companyname.com, right? This means you'd need an e-mail hosting service instead of a webmail provider (gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc). Sure you get a custom domain name, but you'll have to pay money. Looking at LuxSci, an individual account starts at $11.34 a month for domain name, 2 gigs of space, and security/spam protection.

pbradley 11.18.2009 06:00 AM

Fortunately for myself, my school got in on the gmail domain beta so they didn't have to kick me off their own email hosting service and I got a new url with the domain of my alma mater with all gmail bells and whistles.

nicfit 11.18.2009 06:03 AM

Well, I don't need a proper domain (yet), just a free email provider which will let me use my name in the address, basically :D.

I meant "serious" just in regard of the customizable portion of the address.

Anything goes as long as it is as "simple looking" and userfriendly as the igoogle page with just the gmail window in it.. I wish I could simply delete those other users with my same name+surname...fuckers.
I figured I could ask here coz probably some good ones you guys around the world use are not much famous over here and it's less likely to find homonyms...

pbradley 11.18.2009 06:15 AM

OOOOOH, okay. I think if Yahoo! Mail and Hotmail aren't userfriendly enough, you aren't going to find one.

Here's a comparison list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...mail_providers

atsonicpark 11.18.2009 07:09 AM

haha yeah hotmail rules most

atsonicpark 11.18.2009 07:09 AM

...spam and all!

_slavo_ 11.18.2009 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
_slavo_ , if you're reading this be advised there's something in my fridge I'm waiting to get ready to use for an experiment for the vid :D.
fun times ahead.

well, in case it's not a chopped head of a young woman or something, let this equation express my feeling about this:

anything from fridge + drone = WIN

nicfit 11.18.2009 07:14 AM

Don't worry, she was not that young.

nicfit 11.18.2009 07:15 AM

I'll check hotmail and yahoo then, I figure there must be a reason if those are well known he he ;).

nicfit 11.18.2009 07:41 AM

fuck, yahoo = unavailable usernames, I had to go for rocketmail (a yahoo "subsidiary", assuming that's the right term..), but it's kind of lame coz I bet I'd have to spell it letter by letter to lame italians "How do you type it, r-o-c-h-e-t..??!" hahaha...

hotmail time now...let's see...

verme (prevaricator) 11.18.2009 08:41 AM

find one with smtp and keep using gmail.

phoenix 11.18.2009 11:48 PM

pop3 isn't free on hotmail accounts anymore though.. dunno about google or whatnot. I haven't used free email providers ( aside from one that I've kept as an msn logon ) for years

just buy a domain and hosting nicfit, it really isn't that expensive and you'll have your own email that you can use through your email software.

nicfit 11.19.2009 05:11 AM

The thing is, during next year basically I'll focus on a bunch of "business options", and my domain/logotype and stuff will be based on my ideas/decisions on that matter...I don't want to buy a domain yet.
pop3 "absence" is not a big deal, I need a semi-temporary solution for a few months, I can live without thunderbirding stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by verme (prevaricator)
find one with smtp and keep using gmail.

you mean having my "new address" redirect stuff to my "old one"?
I'm pretty clueless on pros and cons of something like that (and on the "hows" to haha... I know, I'm lame).

verme (prevaricator) 11.19.2009 08:09 AM

as you know, gmail can "fetch" mail from other email accounts that support pop access (hawtmale enabled pop3 access earlier this year, btw) and you can send mail from different addresses.

the problem is unless your email provider offers smtp access you'll be using two servers to send one message (gmail's server and the other), therefore your gmail address is kept in the email header and most common email clients will identify the two senders and display the sender as "from nicfit at gmail on behalf of nicfit at blabla with love".

what happens with smtp support is that gmail connects to the external server directly and uses it to send the message, avoiding the aforementioned crap.
the good news is that is very likely, that your email provider does offer smtp access, especially your isp, cellphone carrier, etc...

the thing is pretty easy to set up, if you need a guide through, i won't mind to help, or you can ask google, wikipedia, wolfram alpha...

or you know, do whatever you want.
i'm just saying.

but what do i know? i'm just a pretentious know-it-all isn't it?

phoenix 11.20.2009 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verme (prevaricator)
as you know, gmail can "fetch" mail from other email accounts that support pop access (hawtmale enabled pop3 access earlier this year, btw) and you can send mail from different addresses.
?

hotmail had pop3 for more than/close to 10 yrs on free accounts. Do you mean they made it free again? They took it away for a while, then brought it back but made you pay a yearly sub to have it...

verme (prevaricator) 11.20.2009 07:20 AM

yes.

phoenix 11.20.2009 07:26 AM

have you reached/do you reach a daily word limit or something?

nicfit 11.20.2009 07:43 AM

you want him to talk nerdy to you too?

phoenix 11.20.2009 08:17 AM

no he/she/it is irritating and on my invisble mental block/ignore list after that flu thread.

spending 3 days asking the same questions despite obviously knowing the answers in an attempt to draw out conversation (instead of just actually discussing whatever you'd like to discuss) isn't nerdy, it's boring.