Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   NOISE/EXPERIMENTAL ROCK? (recommend me) (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1956)

racehorse 05.17.2006 05:06 PM

NOISE/EXPERIMENTAL ROCK? (recommend me)

Hey,
I'm getting really into the noise/experimental side of things and I need some really good albums to get. I've already got a couple by "Melt Banana", "Shellac" and I have a Lightning Bolt album. What other bands like that are they that are essential to have records by? Would you hit some names by me so I can have a look? Much appreciated.
Tom

scott v 05.17.2006 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racehorse
Hey,
I'm getting really into the noise/experimental side of things and I need some really good albums to get. I've already got a couple by "Melt Banana", "Shellac" and I have a Lightning Bolt album. What other bands like that are they that are essential to have records by? Would you hit some names by me so I can have a look? Much appreciated.
Tom

If you like Lightning Bolt, check out Sightings...
alot of the recordings on Load Records are great,
also check into the Troubleman Unlimited site too.

nomadicfollower 05.17.2006 06:54 PM

Well, Shellac isn't really noise, but if you like them check out Big Black and Rapeman (which is the noisiest out of all Albini's bands)
You might also like Black Pus, Chippendale's (the drummer from Lightning Bolt) band. They have a more harsh sound when compared to LB.
Maybe Sunburned Hand of the Man - there is a thread somewhere about them in which I upped the Headdress LP.
The Bordomes.

What kind of noise do you want? Harsh noise (Wolf Eyes, Hair Police) or less harsh?

Also check out Load Records.

Onani Nic 05.17.2006 08:20 PM

Check out Japanese bass and drum duo Ruins, similar to Lightning Bolt but 10 years earlier.

You may already have an opinion on this band but if you haven't check out Wolf Eyes.

If you like Shellac check out the Jesus Lizard.

Also check out the whole genre of Krautrock in you want some experimental music that is still rock n roll. Bands like Can, Faust, Neu and Kluster.

nomadicfollower 05.17.2006 08:29 PM

I second the Krautrock genre. You won't be dissapointed.

HaydenAsche 05.17.2006 08:36 PM

Check out the following bands. Maybe not so rock-like.
Deerhoof
Xiu Xiu
Hair Police
Yellow Swans
Six Organs of Admittance
Ten in the Swear Jar
Polvo
Arab on Radar
Chinese Stars
Hospitals

dazedcola 05.17.2006 08:51 PM

Comets On Fire- BLue Cathedal I cant stress enough how great of a record this is. It mixes noise rock with psychedelic acid rock stuff, its mindblowingly good.

DJ Rick 05.17.2006 08:51 PM

If you want noisier than Shellac, Rapeman makes sense based on the Albini connection, but you'd probably have your mind blown even better if you listened to some Killdozer instead.

It's funny how people have been talking of a "noiserock" genre since that article a couple years ago appeared in Spin magazine, but I remember reading about "noiserock" back in the late 80's and early 90's, and they were talking about stuff like Killdozer, Jesus Lizard, and bands on the Amphetamine Reptile label...a buncha Midwest stuff....plus psycho Aussie blues-damaged punk from Aberrant Records like Feedtime, King Snake Roost, Venom P. Stinger, etc.

DJ Rick 05.17.2006 08:54 PM

Having just re-read what I wrote...Sorry for sounding old and bitter...I actually believe that going back in time to find your new faves is silly when things are really poppin' off today.

Check out these...

Silver Daggers

Duchesses

Rose for Bohdan

Also, find Pissed Jeans!!!

Inhuman 05.17.2006 11:35 PM

Here's some good starter ones:

Hair Police
Wolf Eyes
Arab on Radar
The Hospitals
The Flying Luttenbachers (if you like lightning bolt)

Onani Nic 05.18.2006 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Rick

Also, find Pissed Jeans!!!

YESSSSSSS, fuckin rad. I've only heard two tracks as I can't get the record in Australia and dont have a credit card for the net BUT for better or worse they have been signed to Sub Pop for there next album.

A Thousand Threads 05.18.2006 02:42 AM

some of my favs

Bardo Pond
Six Organs Of Admittance
Neptune
CAN
Einstürzende Neubauten
Boredoms
No Neck Blues Band

static-harmony 05.18.2006 02:46 AM

How can I find a boredoms album? I can't seem to find it.

A Thousand Threads 05.18.2006 02:48 AM

it´s depending on where you live

i have to travell to vienna to get some of their records

static-harmony 05.18.2006 02:49 AM

Well I'm in L.A. well a bit inland.

A Thousand Threads 05.18.2006 02:50 AM

L.A ?
i guess there are like 100 of great record stores

static-harmony 05.18.2006 02:53 AM

Hell yeah but I need a damn car. Once I have time I'll look for it.

krastian 05.18.2006 02:53 AM

Baaaaaaardo

terminal pharmacy 05.18.2006 04:40 AM

check out the outrios series on atavistic

Incesticide 05.18.2006 10:51 AM

Butthole Surfers !