Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   So what are my chances...? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=129)

Everyneurotic 03.22.2006 01:05 PM

So what are my chances...?

of meeting thurston at solo gig of his and giving him some of my music?

just wondering if it's worth trying

Inhuman 03.22.2006 01:16 PM

Go for it! It's always worth a try and meeting Thurston would be a memorable moment. My brother works with some friend's of Thurston, but he never met him in person.

Everyneurotic 03.22.2006 01:23 PM

thanks, i think i will, it would be cool if he listens to my stuff and gives me some feedback, but just giving him cds would be good

Inhuman 03.22.2006 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
thanks, i think i will, it would be cool if he listens to my stuff and gives me some feedback, but just giving him cds would be good

For sure, he samples tonnes of bands and that's the whole reason he signed Ecstatic Peace to Universal in the first place, for more distribution and to sign more bands. Does your band have a page? I'd be interested in checking it out

AllHandsOnTheBigOne 03.22.2006 01:27 PM

I'm sure he gets those kind of requests all the time. But there's no harm in trying!

Everyneurotic 03.22.2006 01:30 PM

it's not a band, it's a noise project, called I/C/O/C. kinda in the vein of wolf eyes, hair police, yellow swans, prurient, kites, hive mind, fe-mail; but with more emphasis on guitar noise than circuit bending noise.

check the noise:
www.myspace.com/icoc
more tunes:
www.soundclick.com/icoc

(actually, there's a link to the myspace page on my signature)

Inhuman 03.22.2006 01:39 PM

Quote:

it's not a band, it's a noise project, called I/C/O/C. kinda in the vein of wolf eyes, hair police, yellow swans, prurient, kites, hive mind, fe-mail; but with more emphasis on guitar noise than circuit bending noise.

check the noise:
www.myspace.com/icoc
more tunes:
www.soundclick.com/icoc

(actually, there's a link to the myspace page on my signature)

Nice, it sounds good. I find it's along the lines of Lightning Bolt and The Flying Luttenbachers, which is admirable since there isn't too many artists that do that form of heavy noise (that I know of)

Everyneurotic 03.22.2006 01:41 PM

good thing you like it

considering i do all that with a computer, it's kinda like a compliment. thanks

Inhuman 03.22.2006 01:44 PM

Nice, that is pretty intense for using a computer. What program do you use? For my band I use Fruityloops as a drum machine, but I'm not too too fond of it

Everyneurotic 03.22.2006 01:45 PM

i use samples; cut, edit and process on cool edit pro. and i record my guitar with a cheap computer microphone

Inhuman 03.22.2006 01:49 PM

Quote:

i use samples; cut, edit and process on cool edit pro. and i record my guitar with a cheap computer microphone

Ooohhhh I see what you mean. That works out nicely, and I suppose more budget friendly to do it with a computer. I just got a Boss Sampler and Gigadelay for my guitar, which cost a good $600.00 CAD. I never really tried sampling to my computer before, I'm impressed with the results!

Everyneurotic 03.22.2006 01:51 PM

why thank you!!

a hardware, stand alone sampler sounds great. i'm a firm believer of "make do with what you have", so i'm sure you will get to do some good noise with what you have

HaydenAsche 03.22.2006 01:56 PM

For all of you I HIGHLY reccomend investing in a real drum machine. So much easier to work with and higher quality than Fruity Loops. You can get one off of eBay for relatively cheap.

Everyneurotic 03.22.2006 01:59 PM

for software drum machines, i recommend hammerhead if you are looking for something stripped down. the front end is exactly like a stand alone drum machine

Inhuman 03.22.2006 02:31 PM

I would prefer to stick with software for now, but a drum machine is pretty nifty. I borrow my friend's whenever I have the chance, but being that my band plans to eventually get a real drummer, we'll probably stick with software. I'll check out Hammerhead and give it a try. I'm pretty much looking for something that I can make the beats quickly and efficiently, just something that functions better than FL.

rocky 03.22.2006 02:50 PM

I spoke to thurston shortly (small talk) at a side project show (Noise against Fascism), he was out in the audience - i basically wanted to say hi and thanks for the work he did putting on the night's music. it was a great feeling of awe having met him!

if he's around, you have a good chance of talking one-on-one with him.
i don't know how you'd arrange giving him the record, but see what he's up to! enthusiasm is a universal language! I bet you'll have good luck! :)

Everyneurotic 03.22.2006 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocky
I spoke to thurston shortly (small talk) at a side project show (Noise against Fascism), he was out in the audience - i basically wanted to say hi and thanks for the work he did putting on the night's music. it was a great feeling of awe having met him!

if he's around, you have a good chance of talking one-on-one with him.
i don't know how you'd arrange giving him the record, but see what he's up to! enthusiasm is a universal language! I bet you'll have good luck! :)

thanks for the best wishes

i was thinking of bringing the cds with me and if he was available to talk or whatever, just approach him, try to talk and give him the cds. of course, i'm not counting that the security cunts might not like me bringing cds inside the venue

krastian 03.22.2006 03:17 PM

Sure, give it a shot.

fishmonkey 03.22.2006 04:27 PM

for sure man, put yourself out there and see what happens, never met him myself but i'm sure he's a nice guy, just take the Year punk Broke approach and talk about the colors in the skies and Judy's eyes and stuff like that!

Everyneurotic 03.22.2006 04:31 PM

i'm going to yell at him "you are not a duck!! you are human!!"

or maybe call him like he called iggy pop "thurston!"

or maybe i'll ask him if j mascis is his boyfriend