Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Let's talk about shoegaze. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=17631)

pbradley 11.09.2007 04:28 AM

Nevermind, momentary silliness.

Move along.

Or you can actually talk about shoegazing, why not. Since, as per the rumors of the MBV album, what are some good, modern shoegazing bands that I can listen to in order to get pumped for this hopeful release? I have the Fleeting Joy's Despondent Transponder but is there anything else of note out there?

sarramkrop 11.09.2007 04:36 AM

Ironically, throwing the word gay around is as lame as this thread.

pbradley 11.09.2007 04:45 AM

But then the awful pun wouldn't work.

But it was far too silly. And you people seem to hate silliness over all other things. I'll try to be more proper and boring.

ZEROpumpkins 11.09.2007 06:16 AM

I stop at MBV. I'm convinced that I won't like any other shoegaze as I'll keep comparing it to MBV.

PAULYBEE2656 11.09.2007 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
I stop at MBV. I'm convinced that I won't like any other shoegaze as I'll keep comparing it to MBV.

you have a lot to learn my child......

another shoegaze thread, oh well........

slowdive
early boo radleys
drop nineteens
moose
flying saucer attack
agruably grouper?????
early ride
catherine wheel

oh fuck it, im gonna search for the rest..............

gualbert 11.09.2007 09:45 AM

I don't like Boo Radleys ( "Learning to walk" CD , anyone's interested ? )
MBV have a great sound but poor songs.
Ride is cool.
LOOP too ( not sure they're labeled shoegaze however )

StevOK 11.09.2007 12:11 PM

Pale Saints

Oh, also, there's this French black-metal/shoegaze artist that goes by Alcest. <- check it out!

Danny Himself 11.09.2007 12:15 PM

Galaxie 500. It's all you need.

nick2767 11.09.2007 02:49 PM

LOOP too ( not sure they're labeled shoegaze however )[/quote]

Yeah, they were far too pretentious to get drawn in to being part of a scene or label. But the live Loop performance certainly contained plenty of downward staring.

atsonicpark 11.09.2007 03:53 PM

uhm... I'm not going to only list new things, I'm going to list some of my favorites though..

Astrobrite
Band of Susans [not totally shoegaze but has some elements]
Catherine Wheel
Coaltar of the Deepers ["breakstroke"-era; they turned into a pop/death metal band later]
Chapterhouse
Curve
Fennesz [which is more like glitch-shoegaze]
Fleeting Joys
Galaxie 500
Hum [space rock/shoegaze]
Jesu ["shoegaze metal"]
Loop
Loveliescrushing [HIGHLY RECCOMENDED]
Lush [early; their later stuff sounds like Placebo or something]
M83 [some]
On Air library
Ride
Rumahaskib [i know i spelled that wrong; it's more electronic-inflected shoegaze type stuff]
Slowdive
Spacemen 3
Spiritualized [more space rock than shoegaze but definitely has that vibe]
STAR
Starflyer 59
Stars of the Lid [only their first work approaches shoegaze; for the most part, it's just really really beautiful ambient, but it's worth seeking out]
Swervedriver
Swirl
Swirlies
Velvet Cacoon [some; they went from shoegaze to black metal and apparently made some fake albums as well -- whatever]
Verve

SYRFox 11.09.2007 04:09 PM

My Bloody Valentine of course, and Slowdive! Ride were very good too, and Boo Radleys too. From the recent scene I really enjoy Amusement Parks On Fire (especially the first album) and the fantastic Experimental Aircraft

nick2767 11.09.2007 04:11 PM

Atsonicpark has laid down a good full house with that list (not sure I'd agree about BOS though, might have to discuss that one!).

I'd add Pluramon - Dreams Top Rock. It came out a few years ago and Julee Cruise sings an a track a two, if remember rightly.

M83 - Before the Dawn Heals Us is a great album. I often have that on whilst travelling on the underground or train at night. Just seems to capture the mood so right.

atsonicpark 11.09.2007 04:25 PM

Well, Band of Susans had the huge guitar walls, so that's the only reason I lumped them in there. Unless you're debating whether they're good or not. I REALLY like "Here Comes Success" and "Hope Against Hope", though I think all their albums are fantastic -- they're not the best vocalists in the world though...

gmku 11.09.2007 05:26 PM

George Harrison started it.

Torn Curtain 11.09.2007 06:38 PM

Not mentioned: Kitchens of distinction

StevOK 11.09.2007 08:40 PM

Anyone mention Moose?

dazedcola 11.09.2007 08:54 PM

Serena Maneesh are the best modern shoegaze band. All you people waiting for the new MBV record should check out their debut record first to relieve some tension. Its a great record that takes influence but isnt derivative of the band.

Norma J 11.09.2007 09:05 PM

I don't fully understand all the Loveless love.

ScreamingSchool 11.10.2007 06:26 AM

Shoegaze? check out Bailter Space, then. No, seriously. Check them out. Definitive shoegaze band.

shentov 11.10.2007 07:23 AM

in Bulgaria they call us (KPD-0) shoegaze. i think there might be two reasons for that.
1- we DO do stare at our shoes while performing
2- i once had to explain the term shoegaze in a radio show for almost half an hour.

result: i'm alreday afraid to call our style 'math rock' and sticked to 'shoegaze'

ha ha