Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   RIP Prince Rogers Nelson (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=113432)

noisereductions 04.24.2016 09:20 PM

great posts, Soup. Thanks!

Did any of y'all watch SNL last night? "Goodby Sweet Prince." It was all Prince performances. Very awesome.

Severian 04.24.2016 09:46 PM

I really like Westerberg's little tribute.

pepper_green 04.25.2016 06:10 AM

still can't believe the dude is gone.

Sign o the Times is an album that's strangely complete and incomplete at the same time. then there's that amazing run of songs from "if I was yr girlfriend" to "the Cross".

what's this strange relationship ship ship shit shit...

Severian 04.25.2016 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
still can't believe the dude is gone.

Sign o the Times is an album that's strangely complete and incomplete at the same time. then there's that amazing run of songs from "if I was yr girlfriend" to "the Cross".

what's this strange relationship ship ship shit shit...

One of my favorite albums of the '80s, and certainly my favorite Prince record. Love that album.

pepper_green 04.25.2016 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
One of my favorite albums of the '80s, and certainly my favorite Prince record. Love that album.

of course. mine too. "Ballad of Dorothy Parker" and many many others. some of my FAV songs eva!

pepper_green 04.25.2016 04:45 PM

there back on youtube!!

awesome unreleased killer prince:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7mWtZTjCzo

tesla69 04.26.2016 11:14 AM

I admit to watching for the 1999 video on early MTV just to get a glimpse of Wendy & Lisa. I was 16, why not?

The Soup Nazi 04.26.2016 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi

Quote:

A message for Prince

from Kate...

I am so sad and shocked to hear the tragic news about Prince. He was the most incredibly talented artist. A man in complete control of his work from writer and musician to producer and director. He was such an inspiration. Playful and mind-blowingly gifted. He was the most inventive and extraordinary live act I've seen. The world has lost someone truly magical. Goodnight dear Prince.

http://www.katebush.com/news/message-prince

The Soup Nazi 04.26.2016 06:55 PM

From Uncut:

Prince's Purple Rain The Inside Story [2009]

pepper_green 04.26.2016 07:43 PM

cool articles Soup. I love geekin' out on Prince.

The Soup Nazi 04.26.2016 08:22 PM

From The Wire:

Prince 1958–2016: It's Time Someone Programmed You
DJ and producer Kirk Degiorgio talks with Detroit's finest to uncover the inspirational influence of Prince on techno

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.26.2016 11:18 PM

I was digging the Uncut read. It was so prototypical Prince.

The Soup Nazi 04.27.2016 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
From fellow Mpls comrades-in-arms:

This is the painting on Chris Mars' website's front page right now:

Over the years I heard that Prince owned some (several?) of Chris' works.

Also, Sally Mars (Chris' wife) wrote:

Quote:

Chris and I were at the Cooper Theater in St. Louis Park, Minnesota to see the film "Less Than Zero". We sat toward the front, like we still do. It was mostly empty, but a small group came in and sat in the back row - a small group, including Prince. He wore a long yellow duster and Chris was so thrilled to see Prince there that he got up to go "to the bathroom" four different times just to catch a glimpse of him.

Years later, Chris would record at Prince's Paisley Park. Prince had his own chef and would send meals over to Chris and his producer while they worked.

Chris would record during the day, so Prince could record overnight. Sometimes in the morning an engineer would still be mixing Prince's work from the night before. I remember one song in particular,"Blue Cadillac". I suppose it’s now just a matter of time before I finally get to hear it again.

I was with Chris one morning to find Studio A smelling like incense and draped in peach-colored silk. There were props too, plaster lawn goddesses spray painted gold. I confess I stole a small one.

Rigged through the ceiling beams and hanging over a leather sofa was a microphone. It dangled right where one's mouth would be if one were lying down. I delighted in picturing Prince on his back, breathing sensual words into it.

Everyone in Minneapolis has a Prince story. He was strangely available and loyal to us all. How lucky we were for this.

dead_battery 04.28.2016 05:18 AM

he died of aids, i heard he fucked a horse or something? then freaked out and became a jehovahs witness in reaction to his bisexual decadence? confirm pls

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.28.2016 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dead_battery
he died of aids, i heard he fucked a horse or something? then freaked out and became a jehovahs witness in reaction to his bisexual decadence? confirm pls

"Get out."

The Soup Nazi 04.28.2016 03:52 PM

Quote:

I must spread some reputation around before SHITTING on dead_battery's oligophrenic post.

Bytor Peltor 04.28.2016 04:19 PM

Wanted to share a couple of Prince tribute shows as heard on Houston radio this past week.

Classic Club Special 1958 - 2016......includes 12" remixes, B-sides and some amazing covers.

The Soul Brother Show (also available in iTunes podcast)......unedited and full of raw emotion featuring several rarities.

Rob Instigator 04.28.2016 04:29 PM

cool stuff Bytor thanks

pepper_green 04.29.2016 07:18 AM

thanks Bytor. That Soul Brother Show has lots of extended mixes and rare songs I've been looking for.

pepper_green 04.29.2016 05:16 PM

Quote:

you could replace the moans in Lady Cab Driver with a horse's neigh if you please.

or, I.only.want.to.see.you.dancing.in.the.Kurt Cobain.

look, im still very distraught.:( so go somewhere else with that shit or like Such said. "Get Out".