Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NYC Ghosts & Flowers has blown me away (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=85017)

maropi 12.26.2012 08:44 PM

IMO, their last "big" album. After somewhat deception with A Thousand Leaves, this one was a great surprise. I really enjoyed it since the beginning.

There are always some great songs in every SY album, but as an ALBUM, this one grows every day.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.26.2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maropi
IMO, their last "big" album. After somewhat deception with A Thousand Leaves, this one was a great surprise.

Repent! I'm not sure what you meant by deception, but even insinuating against the greatness of A Thousand Leaves or what is worse, completely neglecting and perhaps even scoffing the epic Sonic Nurse is surely a Sonic sin yo ;)

noisereductions 12.26.2012 09:59 PM

forget Sonic Nurse -- what about the piece of perfection we call Murray Street???????

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.26.2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
forget Sonic Nurse -- what about the piece of perfection we call Murray Street???????

"I don't recall.."

Jeremy 12.27.2012 05:48 PM

I prefer Sonic Nurse to Murray Street, but MS is way up there in terms of style and production for me. Doesn't hurt it has some of their finest moments song-wise too.

kicksexoutthevan 12.28.2012 07:33 PM

I cant express to you guys how much I love NYCG&F. Maybe this will sum it up- It is one of the only albums I have tripped acid to and had sex to at the same time. And I would do it again in a heart beat. I dont take acid anymore but I wouldnt take that experience away for anything. I was having a hard time understanding the album til I listened to it that way. :)

kicksexoutthevan 12.28.2012 07:34 PM

It was after that that I saw them on the NYCG&F tour opening for Pearl Jam, then their SYR set at The Last Place On Earth in Memphis and those are still two of the best shows I have ever seen. Sure wish they would come back to Memphis!

sonicleak 12.31.2012 05:39 AM

The first time I listened to G&F I got scared.I can´t really explain it,maybe because they sounded so serious (at my first listening).It took me awhile to understand the trippiness of it all.One of my favorites and I listen to it from time to time.

SonicBebs 12.31.2012 08:22 AM

got to love the influence Jim had on them. 3 stunning albums
but its nice to know they were headed that way without him, ATL and to som extents Washing MAchine seem to fit in that run nicely.
But Jim is just smooth

maropi 12.31.2012 02:49 PM

My bad english… "deception" = disappointment jaja

Those albums like Murray and Nurse… weren't bad, just found a few filling songs in everyone.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.31.2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maropi
My bad english… "deception" = disappointment jaja

Those albums like Murray and Nurse… weren't bad, just found a few filling songs in everyone.

You are absolved then :)

Peterpuff 01.14.2013 12:26 PM

Just feeling that this thread needs another bump based on the 0.0 thread that was also started today. I think I am going to listen to NYC G&F non-stop today, appreciating every damn second.

EVOLghost 01.14.2013 01:35 PM

Steve on streamxsonic subway. That is all.

Peterpuff 01.14.2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
Steve on streamxsonic subway. That is all.

So true. So true.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 01.14.2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicBebs
got to love the influence Jim had on them. 3 stunning albums
but its nice to know they were headed that way without him, ATL and to som extents Washing MAchine seem to fit in that run nicely.
But Jim is just smooth

I fucking MISS Jim's influence on Sonic Youth. Notice that forever after they have been bringing in bass or third guitar players ;)

zelocia 02.04.2013 12:29 PM

Does a vinyl pressing of NYCG&F exist? I find it odd that it seems to be the only SY album that is not available on record.

Beautiful Plateau 02.04.2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zelocia
Does a vinyl pressing of NYCG&F exist?

It appears so.

http://www.discogs.com/Sonic-Youth-N...release/615876

http://www.discogs.com/Sonic-Youth-N...elease/1811024

zelocia 02.04.2013 06:29 PM

Yikes. $45+? As much as I like the album, I'm going to hold off on that one. Original pressings of Confusion and BMR are my priority right now.

Chris Lawrence 03.11.2014 10:52 PM

I was about to start a thread on the NYCG&F vinyl but decided to search and see if there was a recent one. Glad I did!

I haven't heard this album on CD in quite a while (and I do recall it sounding pretty dynamic), but I'm listening to the vinyl right now. I just randomly went and laid down with my head between the speakers during the last minute and a half of "Free City Rhymes" and opening my eyes at the end felt like returning from another dimension. Totally mind-crushing, just beautiful depth of sound. Kim's bass notes on "side2side" practically sit on your shoulder. Thurston's bike horn on "Lightnin'"..eh, you get the idea!

My point is: find this album on vinyl. I may even prefer the altered track listing, though it's clear the CD is the intended order of the songs.

nicfit 03.13.2014 05:15 PM

I hate it.