Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Thurston's black Jazzmaster stolen? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=85097)

Chris Lawrence 12.13.2012 04:45 AM

Thurston's black Jazzmaster stolen?

from facebook:

Chelsea Light Moving

We brought our bags into the Best Western 501 North 22nd Street Philadelphia, PA and cymbal bags and two fender jazzmasters in hardcases and set them beside the couch in the bar/lounge which we sat on to watch the hurricane Sandy benefit event. At some point the TV went out and we went to the bar to deal with it and while there someone snatched one of the gtrs - the black one w/ all the stickers. Their was only like 6 people around besides us, it was after midnight. And McCartney should've sang Negative Creep, Floyd The Barber - anything to show how Nirvana is as legacy a zeitgeist band as Beatles, Stones, Floyd and way more significant than Coldplay with or without Stipe. Boo.

http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/eq/gtr66.html

logicalharm 12.13.2012 12:21 PM

Noooo :( :( :(

krastian 12.13.2012 01:33 PM

Yeah this is horrible.

hirsute_biped 12.13.2012 01:46 PM

Probably the most iconic post-1999-theft SY guitar, to SY guitar nerds at least... Bummer

The Soup Nazi 12.13.2012 02:34 PM

Motherfuckers.
:mad:

scott v 12.13.2012 03:00 PM

Thurston's most notable and primary guitar since NYCG&F purchased after the big theft in Orange County in 1999...
He should post the S/N# if it is known?
Unfortunately someone is gonna only be able to sell this by refinishing it...
and then the Serial# could then be the lone identifier and maybe the date stamped in the neck pocket joint and the body neck pocket...
Sux, I'd be majorily bummed if my guitar(s) were ripped...

spread the word, be on the lookout if you go to music/pawn shops, ebay, craigslist etc...

Dr Chocolate 12.13.2012 04:37 PM

i can just imagine
whoever stole it has no fucking clue what they were getting into
so there they are, back at the house to check out the loot

"WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?"

it's way too hot of an item to just unload anywhere
how does a guitar become more custom then theirs?
i bet the person is a greedy fucker and will get nailed any day now

hipster_bebop_junkie 12.13.2012 06:39 PM

I dislike this recent trend (if it is one) of assholes stealing gear from artists (Noveller, Circuit des Yeux, now once again Thurston). Hopefully the guitar will be recovered, and soon. Some of the most wildest explorations of noise madness by Thurston have taken place with this guitar, I'm sure. It is for instance, the one he played when I saw him with Tom Surgal and William Winant in Mexico City a few years back. That show's burned in my mind.

Anyway, i think the serial number is: 41927, judging by a post by Eric Baecht, in case that information is not out there yet (I didn't check the Mustang site before posting this).

zelocia 12.13.2012 08:51 PM

It is almost unbelievable that this had to happen. I watched him play that guitar the night before the night it was stolen. I really hope it gets back to him and soon.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.13.2012 08:58 PM

I'm sorry Thurston but for real? You just left it by the bar? Who are you, Taylor Swift? Dude. Seriously? Just left it there to watch the gig, didn't even stash it anywhere.. alas.

Dude McDude 12.14.2012 10:52 AM

Dude, it's easy to be wise after the event. It won't get the guitar back, though.

scott v 12.14.2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude McDude
Dude, it's easy to be wise after the event. It won't get the guitar back, though.

True...

neptuneg 12.16.2012 04:21 PM

This is very unfortunate, and it's likely that if this guitar ever shows up again, it'll probably just be completely stripped and bare. Start checking eBay!

The Soup Nazi 12.19.2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
from facebook:

Chelsea Light Moving

[...] And McCartney should've sang Negative Creep, Floyd The Barber - anything to show how Nirvana is as legacy a zeitgeist band as Beatles, Stones, Floyd and way more significant than Coldplay with or without Stipe. Boo.

Oh, NOW I understand this rant... I had no idea Macca had performed with the surviving Nirvanas.

Paul McCartney on Saturday Night Live - Dec 15, 2012 - Featuring Joe Walsh, Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic and Pat Smear - HDTV 1080i

the ikara cult 12.19.2012 04:03 PM

Many, many diseases for the slime that took this piece

hypertonic 12.19.2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Oh, NOW I understand this rant... I had no idea Macca had performed with the surviving Nirvanas.

Paul McCartney on Saturday Night Live - Dec 15, 2012 - Featuring Joe Walsh, Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic and Pat Smear - HDTV 1080i

Yea I caught this on SNL and it clicked, haha.

The Soup Nazi 01.16.2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Oh, NOW I understand this rant...

Oh, and just NOW (boy am I late on things; I should get on the Internet - they have it for computers now) I understand the diss on Michael Stipe: he performed "Losing My Religion" with fucking Chris Martin on that Sandy Relief Concert. Truly vomitous.