Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   disappointing bands (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=21932)

HECKLER SPRAY 05.18.2008 07:34 PM

disappointing bands

Talking about your worst disillusions.
Exemple : Sometimes, a friend told you about a new band, sayin' "it's cool you should give it a try"... You listen to 2 or 3 songs on the radio, the net... it's pretty good, and you decide to buy the whole album. and then, you discover it's shit.
Fuck...
Or bands who have done a good first album and then released a crapy 2nd album.
Mine : Silversun Pickups. the whole album is boring.

atsonicpark 05.18.2008 07:36 PM

I dunno, too many to name. Most bands.

HECKLER SPRAY 05.18.2008 07:40 PM

a name, Adam, I want you to give me a name. Now !!!

Everyneurotic 05.18.2008 07:48 PM

why the obsession with listing things on the board?

last one i thought "ehh, they are not that great" was holy fuck i guess. not bad but certianly not amazing.

HECKLER SPRAY 05.18.2008 07:51 PM

I don't want to list them, just talk about your bad experiments.

Everyneurotic 05.18.2008 07:53 PM

if you listen to enough new music (at least to you, not chronological), then you're bound to find bands you don't like.

speaking of which, the new weezer album isn't too bad, not as bad as i thought it could be.

atsonicpark 05.18.2008 07:56 PM

I always liked weezer. i thought the green album and the one right after that were alright, not great or anything but certainly not as awful as most people said. never bothered with make believe though.

steve newman 05.18.2008 09:05 PM

pinkerton was wonderful! make believe sucked. come on, rivers, show us your emo side!

batreleaser 05.18.2008 10:05 PM

say it aint so is still a beautiful track. thats the only weezer song i ever listen to still.

pbradley 05.18.2008 10:15 PM

Funny! I find most Weezer disappointing.

Everyneurotic 05.18.2008 10:21 PM

i love the blue album and pinkerton so much you have no idea.

the green album was like half good, "o girlfriend" has to be rivers' most underrated song; maladroit was weird and never gave it a chance and the last one..."beverly hills" is one of their worse songs (if not their worst song period) and the one with the video of the chick singing instead of rivers is pretty awful too so i'm really not interested in listening to that one.

but the new one is tuneful and funny, no blue album or pinkerton, but better than their last couple.

StevOK 05.18.2008 10:32 PM

Make Believe was awful, but all their other albums are great. Even Maladroit.

Green Magnesium 05.18.2008 11:09 PM

A few recent disappointments...

Joanna Newsom
Animal Collective
Vampire Weekend
Deerhoof

I realize that these acts are popular with some of the members of this board. I am NOT listing them to be controversial or anything silly like that. I actually checked them out because of mentions/praise on this board. After downloading a couple of albums, I honestly did not find anything to like about any of them. Vampire Weekend are dull, Deerhoof are too silly for words and both Newsom and Animal Collective are simply unbearable.

Maybe I just don't "get it" like some people "don't get" Sonic Youth. Actually, I can completely sympathize with people who hate Sonic Youth. I just happen to like SY's brand of weirdness/uniqueness... these other artists, not so much.

(The good outweighs the bad though... this board introduced me to many artists who I've been loving... Ex: Boris, Jesu, Mission of Burma...etc...)

pbradley 05.18.2008 11:12 PM

If it wasn't for Greg Saunier's drumming, I wouldn't be as favorable to Deerhoof as I am.

Although I haven't bought an album since Reveille.

The others, I never expected anything good in the first place but yeah I suppose.

davenotdead 05.19.2008 12:23 AM

animal collective are 'unbearable'... and you like jesu.

Everyneurotic 05.19.2008 01:09 AM

feels is unbearable to me too.

hollinndagain is blissful on the other hand, strawberry jam is tons of fun.

raging_nelly 05.19.2008 04:50 AM

The Ramones

Death & the Maiden 05.19.2008 04:59 AM

My best friend once told me to listen to Panic At The Disco and Taking Back Sunday, because they're similar to what I listen to and I'll definitely like them. I listened to them on the internet. I was disappointed.

jon boy 05.19.2008 05:05 AM

when i was younger my friends said i should listen to fugazi, what an utter dissapointment.

Toilet & Bowels 05.19.2008 05:33 AM

after years of having them on my list of bands to check out i checked out slovenly & pell mell for the first time this weekend, disappointing ,and Zoogz Rift were sheer awfulness. Universal Congress Of i liked a lot though.