Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

viewtiful_alan 12.11.2008 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I get really really tired of all the board-bashing of this album. No album that features "Andorgynous Mind," "Winner's Blues," "Bull In The Heather," "Screaming Skull," or "Tokyo Eye" can be so f'ing bad.

Yeah when I listen to it I like it, but when I'm looking at my collection I never pick that one out. I have a lot of albums like that actually...

greedrex 12.11.2008 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I get really really tired of all the board-bashing of this album. No album that features "Andorgynous Mind," "Winner's Blues," "Bull In The Heather," "Screaming Skull," or "Tokyo Eye" can be so f'ing bad.

yes + it's sexy BLUE wax

Danny Himself 12.11.2008 05:00 PM

"Sister Rosetta Tharpe sings Hot Hot Hot"

Dr. Eugene Felikson 12.11.2008 05:27 PM

Distechno - 666 Crack Rocks

viewtiful_alan 12.11.2008 06:45 PM

3.5/5

noisereductions 12.11.2008 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan

3.5/5

Been looking for this. It's outta print.

[Sandbag] 12.11.2008 08:30 PM

nirvana - gallons of rubbing alcohol flow through the strip

EVOLghost 12.11.2008 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [Sandbag]
nirvana - gallons of rubbing alcohol flow through the strip

Yes!
I'm listening to INterpol's Our Love to Admire.....I'm still trying to get used to it....

Dead-Air 12.11.2008 09:54 PM

"Kaliper" by Autechre

Death & the Maiden 12.12.2008 05:51 AM

These Immortal Souls - Get Lost (Don't Lie)

sonic sphere 12.12.2008 06:28 AM

jefferson airplane-surrealistic pillow

screamingskull 12.12.2008 06:51 AM

"i got methods"

blunderbuss 12.12.2008 06:55 AM

"The Most Irritating Office Christmas Party Album In The World... Ever"
That's a made-up album title, but if the music that's playing down the corridor from me was an album with a title, that's what it should be called.

demonrail666 12.12.2008 06:58 AM

screamingskull 12.12.2008 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

is that good?? I only have A Love Supreme.

demonrail666 12.12.2008 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingskull

Yeah, it's ok. Having come out in 1958 It's inevitably more 'straight' than his later stuff but it's a very good listen nonetheless. Decent without being particularly mind blowing I suppose.

blunderbuss 12.12.2008 07:48 AM

I can't claim to be a Coltrane expert, but I can confidently say that this is excellent (well it blew my mind, anyway):

from All About Jazz:

The opening section, "The Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost," which steams uninterrupted into the second part, "Compassion," is a maelstrom of unrelieved intensity. (Elvin) Jones and (Rashied) Ali put up a tremendous din, challenged by Coltrane's freest-ever solo and (Pharoah) Sanders' chicken-slaughtering act. "Compassion" signals a certain calming, in which (McCoy) Tyner returns to the prominence he normally enjoyed in the quartet. Here it's a prelude to one of his most passionate and inventive solos. Then Coltrane wraps it up cleanly, with a brief coda featuring (Jimmy) Garrison, backed skillfully by his old mates. Rashied Ali's band Prima Materia recently released a version of Meditations in which "Compassion" devolves into a bass solo that begins the third section, "Love." Probably Coltrane would have opted for such an arrangement in this age of the CD, but when this original version was recorded it was time to get up and turn the record over. Garrison's angular solo thus begins "Love," preparing the way for a gorgeous entrance from the leader, after which the heat steadily rises, Sanders returns, and it's time for "Consequences," another maelstrom. Tyner's solo following this one is especially striking in its originality and emotional power; for my money, it's his best ever. "Serenity" is another brief coda, and the meditation is over.

sonic sphere 12.12.2008 07:55 AM

bad brains-s/t

noisereductions 12.12.2008 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingskull

http://sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=28423

If yr interested.

greedrex 12.12.2008 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blunderbuss
I can't claim to be a Coltrane expert, but I can confidently say that this is excellent (well it blew my mind, anyway):

it is indeed excellentissimo. Love it.