Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   MATH ROCK (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=23462)

greedrex 07.15.2008 03:31 AM

MATH ROCK

Hey
our fellow sellouteater is currently kind of discovering Math rock through stuff like Don Cab.

I suggested a few bands he could listen to, but i need help because i can't think of all the bands i know just right now, and then maybe some new ones i've never heard of might come up!

So:

- Don Cab
- Bellini
- Rumah Sakit
- Sleeping People
- Saragashum ( this is obscure but man does it rock)
- Chevreuil
- Cheval de Frise
- Hella (early - twho first LPs)
- Dilute
- Paul Newman
- Stereobate

ok people that's just off the top of my head , help needed.
The man wants to eat Mathrock for breakfast!

GO!:D

nicfit 07.15.2008 03:39 AM

ahleuchatistas
aucan

if those qualifies... I'll think about names starting with b and other letters as soon as my brain resolves his buffer underrun.

sarramkrop 07.15.2008 03:41 AM

Math Rock is for squares.

Billy Mahonie

acousticrock87 07.15.2008 03:41 AM

Rumah Sakit and Shellac are the only bands I've heard that sound mathy. And Meshuggah.

nicfit 07.15.2008 03:46 AM

three second kiss
(yeh, that's my youtube account, so what??)

blunderbuss 07.15.2008 04:07 AM

I've never really understood what math rock is. I know the technical definition, but it still just seems like the sort of pigeonhole that really makes me want to say "well, it's all just music, isn't it?".

SYRFox 07.15.2008 04:09 AM

Early Battles fits into Math Rock.

acousticrock87 07.15.2008 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blunderbuss
I've never really understood what math rock is. I know the technical definition, but it still just seems like the sort of pigeonhole that really makes me want to say "well, it's all just music, isn't it?".

I wouldn't say it's really a genre, it's just a style within whatever genre. There could be math pop, math jazz, and math folk, technically. Just as long as there are changing tempos, fucked up signatures, and polyrhythm.

nicfit 07.15.2008 04:14 AM

an example of math pop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tl9G8LZKgk

sarramkrop 07.15.2008 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acousticrock87
I wouldn't say it's really a genre, it's just a style within whatever genre. There could be math pop, math jazz, and math folk, technically. Just as long as there are changing tempos, fucked up signatures, and polyrhythm.

blunderbuss 07.15.2008 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acousticrock87

Which inspires a new thread...

greedrex 07.15.2008 04:19 AM

List updated w/links ! ENJOY!

- Don Cab
- Bellini
- Rumah Sakit
- Sleeping People
- Saragashum ( this is obscure but man does it rock)
- Chevreuil
- Cheval de Frise
- Hella (early - two first LPs)
- dilute
- Paul Newman
- Stereobate
- ahleuchatistas
- aucan
- Billy Mahonie
- Shellac
- three second kiss
- volta do mar
- from monument to masses
- uzeda (LPs Different section wire + Stella)
- Oxes
- The Redneck Manifesto
- distile label

Toilet & Bowels 07.15.2008 05:02 AM

shellac are not mathrock

acousticrock87 07.15.2008 05:14 AM

Yeah I was just going through some of their stuff, and for the most part they aren't. I think it's just cause they have mathy intros, and I usually stop listening before they get very far.

punkaspoo 07.15.2008 05:16 AM

Polvo

greedrex 07.15.2008 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
shellac are not mathrock

that's right (who cares anyway?) it's just any math rock band will refer to Shellac as a major influence. But everyone knows Shellac here so it doesn't matter. It's just a list for the math-rock noob overall. :)

greedrex 07.15.2008 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punkaspoo
Polvo

Polvo is the shit but it doesn't qualify as mathrock to me as their time signatures are pretty straightforward.
still an excellent band to check but that's a bit far from the starting point....

anyway POLVO!

atsonicpark 07.15.2008 05:44 AM

you've got all the good ones listed honestly. the only one i'd add is probably june of 44 (who are more noise rock but they have mathy stuff), yukon, giraffes giraffes, SWEEP THE LEG JOHNNY ("going down swinging" is one of my all time favorite records) uh.. or en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Math_Rock

Since you listed sleeping people already, you've already listed who is, in my mind, the best "math rock" band, the only one who doesn't bore me to tears anymore.

Shellac rock and have song structures and time signatures occassionally. So, I don't see a problem with them being saddled as math rock. Personally, I wouldn't call Polvo math rock -- to me that's some kind of weird noise rock. Until you get to stuff like "title Track" which is the definition of math rock. If you're going down that route, listen to thinking fellers union local # 282 instead... they've got some math rock shit, some noise rock shit, some noise pop shit,probably the best "rock" band ever honestly.

sarramkrop 07.15.2008 06:03 AM

I bet that most of the bands listed would punch you in the face if you told them that they were a math rock band. Unless they were shit rock, in which case they'd think you are paying them a compliment.

atsonicpark 07.15.2008 06:05 AM

again, why do people get so tore up over the names of genres? It's a way to classify things, and it usually works. Otherwise, every band would just be "music".