Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

!@#$%! 12.01.2019 06:20 PM

and of course i ended up here. with the unbeatable one for me.

 


so goddamn beautiful

choc e-Claire 12.02.2019 04:22 AM

 

 

_tunic_ 12.02.2019 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
goddammit i do love her voice here

-

the songs arent particularly great so far though



I think that's actually what I was meaning too, I don't recall anymore, it's already 24 hours ago. My personal CP albums are still her first albums that she did with Steve. But yeah the Greatest was good to.



Listening Now:
to "Unknown Artist" :D
Actually four albums by the amazing Unknown Artist.

Bought a new audio system last Saturday, Sony soundbar with woofer that has Chromecast built in, so I can now cast audio from phone (e.g. bandcamp as I did with Cat Power yesterday), or from PC right now the infamous unknown artists of which I ripped the CDs way back when and now no longer recall who they were. One is I think the first Oiseaux Tempete album, another is Saltland, but one I seriously haven't got a clue.

No CD.DVD.Bluray player yet, it will arrive later today. I did buy the cheapest Sony, but then decided to get a better one instead that supports high definition audio. Also bought a record player, finally. I still buy vinyl occasionally but never had a proper record player.

And in the background my upstairs neighbors are yelling at each other :rolleyes:

!@#$%! 12.02.2019 09:55 AM

^^hahahaha you need that old beck song to play along with that noise

i mean this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fWXvB_lDlo

re: cat power, i love the ones she did with steve too, and the first matadors, and the covers record, and jukebox as well. but the greatest does things to me, like give me goose bumps. it’s a beautiful fucking record, not just her, but that band sounds so good...

_tunic_ 12.02.2019 12:17 PM


 



Bert Dockx - Transit


my new CD player has arrived! and this was the first CD I played on it.
Was a bit doubting the sound coming out of the soundbar, when watching TV it's a bit shrill and not so stereo (especially the voices), but with the CD-player it sounds mighty fine.

For the geeks: Sony HT-ZF9 soundbar and UBP-X800M2 Blu-Ray player. Bluray player supports 4K whatever that means, but my TV is still old so itdoesn't support that yet. With the soundbar comes a deal that you get 2 rear speakers for free, but they can only be claimed them after 30 days :(


Next up, on DVD:



 

Bytor Peltor 12.02.2019 02:07 PM

CONGRATS on your new set up......but you failed to mention when your new tape deck would be arriving : )

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
 



Bert Dockx - Transit


my new CD player has arrived! and this was the first CD I played on it.
Was a bit doubting the sound coming out of the soundbar, when watching TV it's a bit shrill and not so stereo (especially the voices), but with the CD-player it sounds mighty fine.

For the geeks: Sony HT-ZF9 soundbar and UBP-X800M2 Blu-Ray player. Bluray player supports 4K whatever that means, but my TV is still old so itdoesn't support that yet. With the soundbar comes a deal that you get 2 rear speakers for free, but they can only be claimed them after 30 days :(


Next up, on DVD:



 


choc e-Claire 12.03.2019 04:13 AM

 

_tunic_ 12.03.2019 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
CONGRATS on your new set up......but you failed to mention when your new tape deck would be arriving : )

Ha. No. That will never happen. But I will be playing a shitload of funny coloured vinyl very soon. Have to get me an analog plug first though.
yes analog plug, no anal plug


But right now:

 

d.sound 12.03.2019 09:04 AM

Equal amounts of Charli XCX and
Phill Niblock. I am a strange person. I think noise is a pallet cleanser for me. I can't handle too much pop music. Sometimes I need to stop dancing and singing.

I know it's a futile cause on this board but seriously Charli is the future of music. Armageddon done been in effect. Y'all get a late pass.

Genteel Death 12.03.2019 12:55 PM

 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDJi8_fyscc

Antagon 12.03.2019 03:42 PM

 

Antagon 12.03.2019 04:19 PM

 

!@#$%! 12.03.2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antagon
 

what is that? reminds me of those ultralounge records of the turn of the century that remixed 50s music. you know the kind?

!@#$%! 12.03.2019 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death

played this earlier, was very good—thanks

choc e-Claire 12.03.2019 06:00 PM

 

Antagon 12.03.2019 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
what is that? reminds me of those ultralounge records of the turn of the century that remixed 50s music. you know the kind?



The vintage look/50s homage is fully intentional. This is one of Holly Golightly's solo outings. She used to be with Thee Headcoatees, a british all-female garage/rockabilly revival/blues punk band in the 90s (affiliated with Billy Childish). She has since been very prolific on her own though, continuing the vintage Americana vibes to a tee. And each of her albums has a distinct nostalgic look to it. This extends to the backside artwork as well:
https://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JP...er=allrovi.com


Oh, and if you've watched Jim Jarmusch's Broken Flowers, you might have heard this this little tune. Gotta say I prefer her album version though, which happens to be the closing track of "Truly She Is None Other".

!@#$%! 12.03.2019 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antagon
The vintage look/50s homage is fully intentional. This is one of Holly Golightly's solo outings. She used to be with Thee Headcoatees, a british all-female garage/rockabilly revival/blues punk band in the 90s (affiliated with Billy Childish). She has since been very prolific on her own though, continuing the vintage Americana vibes to a tee. And each of her albums has a distinct nostalgic look to it. This extends to the backside artwork as well:
https://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JP...er=allrovi.com


Oh, and if you've watched Jim Jarmusch's Broken Flowers, you might have heard this rendition of the The Greenhornes's There Is An End. Gotta say I prefer her album version though, which happens to be the closing track of "Truly She Is None Other".

i don’t know her, but yeah, looked like a julie london record or something

i did love broken flowers , and bill murray’s car music, so i will definitely go listen RIGHT NOW.

many thanks

-x

eta: didn’t do it for me :(

thanks anyway cuz now at least i know

_tunic_ 12.04.2019 09:54 AM

 


Boris!

Antagon 12.04.2019 12:35 PM

Tropical Fuck Storm - Braindrops
 

_tunic_ 12.04.2019 01:25 PM

 


Carpenters live in Russia


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content ©2006 Sonic Youth