Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   AIDS Wolf (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=688)

Trasher02 04.07.2006 12:55 PM

AIDS Wolf

This band rules!
now discuss!

Inhuman 04.07.2006 12:57 PM

I love AIDS Wolf. I read a review on them just yesterday in a CHORD magazine, and the dumbass reviewer is like "...it's just noise. Grab any girl and make her scream over sounds and you have something similar to AIDS Wolf".

I plan to get the Lovvers EP as soon as I get money.

Trasher02 04.07.2006 01:02 PM

Same here...
http://www.myspace.com/aidswolf

check out the myspace

Inhuman 04.07.2006 01:06 PM

Nice, I'm always streaming their myspace in class. Usually all the other students tell me to shut it off and then they put on live versions of Linkin Park songs, and unfortunately I'm outnumbered by them

Trasher02 04.07.2006 01:20 PM

i played a wolf eyes song out loud in our class once...
People still think i'm some kind of weirdo

Inhuman 04.07.2006 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trasher02
i played a wolf eyes song out loud in our class once...
People still think i'm some kind of weirdo

Same haha! I'm always really anti social in class and not many people talk to me, but other than that I talk to everybody. It's fun putting Yoko Ono or Jackie-O Motherfucker on out loud in class, but I get told to turn it off right away. It sucks since most of the people in my class listen to like...P.O.D and Nickelback. I wish I took visual Arts because they have more similar music tastes

Trasher02 04.07.2006 01:36 PM

Everyone in my class listens to emo, heavy metal, rap and ... techno (which is unfortunatly the majority of my class) God, it sucks to be the only one in yr school with a great taste of music...

Savage Clone 04.07.2006 01:40 PM

The name is SO STUPID that I have stayed away.

DJ Rick 04.07.2006 03:59 PM

It's far too risky to judge a band by its name. I wouldn't wanna judge this one by the name alone...they are very good. Also, don't judge this band by any reviewer who scoffs and says "Arab on Radar ripoff," because this band does have something to add besides another sensationalizable name and obtuse lyrics that seem rather pervy.

Savage Clone 04.07.2006 04:05 PM

I know it's stupid to judge a band by their name, but it's just SUCH a DUMB name.
I admit this is dumb and prejudicial, but it bugs me.

FruitLoop 04.07.2006 05:30 PM

Yeah I totally agree with the name being stupid and all but.... I saw them once live in Montreal opening, with the Octopus Project as well, for Wolf Eyes... and they really blew me away!!! The drummer plays as if he's got a goddamn seizure or something, although the signer, I think, is just a bit too much. But their first LP rules though...

RIPfrey05 04.08.2006 09:45 AM

Hey!
AIDS wolf ROCKS!!!!!!
They kick much ass.. however, ive only heard their myspace stuff!

Trasher02 04.08.2006 01:29 PM

me too...
i've orderd the album though...

Toilet & Bowels 04.08.2006 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
The name is SO STUPID that I have stayed away.

yeah, i avoided them for a while too for that reason, then with the interest they've had recently i thought i'd go against my better judgement and they were actually ok. early SY, Erase Errata, Trumans Water and Harry Pussy would be easy comparisons to draw, the singer is just a generic spazzy girl noise singer though, which is kind of annoying. They are nowhere near the league of harry pussy or SY though.

truncated 04.08.2006 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I know it's stupid to judge a band by their name, but it's just SUCH a DUMB name.
I admit this is dumb and prejudicial, but it bugs me.

I'm totally with you on this one. Though, I don't think it's entirely stupid - a band name is suggestive of the mentality behind it, so it's a gauge of some sort.

I listened to them out of curiousity, but I can't say I'd make an effort to do it again. They were alright, but I can see them easily disappearing off my radar. I agree about the singer being slightly irritating, and that's something I won't be able to overcome.

Toilet & Bowels 04.08.2006 03:24 PM

she's no adris hoyos, that's for sure.

Onani Nic 04.08.2006 09:49 PM

i find them really annoying, them and all the post no-wave bands or whatever you want to call them. Bands like Die Montre Bass, ex-models, Arab On Radar......

They try real hard to sound spastic and weird and out of control but it all sounds really safe and watered down compared to DNA and Mars.

Toilet & Bowels 04.08.2006 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onani Nic
i find them really annoying, them and all the post no-wave bands or whatever you want to call them. Bands like Die Montre Bass, ex-models, Arab On Radar......

They try real hard to sound spastic and weird and out of control but it all sounds really safe and watered down compared to DNA and Mars.

yeah, too self-concious in their weirdness

Everyneurotic 04.08.2006 10:38 PM

well, i like aids wolf because they are little more bouncy in their spazzyness. their lovvers lp is pretty well put together, which is important for bands like that. it's more dancy where, say, erase errata are poppy

but yeah, no wave should be approach from zen-like unconciouss awful playing. i really don't see the point of the no wave revival.

HaydenAsche 04.08.2006 11:08 PM

I like a few songs and hate most of them.

Arab on Radar was leagues better.