Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The inevitable Black Metal thread. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13232)

MellySingsDoom 05.16.2007 05:13 PM

The inevitable Black Metal thread.

Having just returned from a night of peerless Romanian black metal in the name of Negura Bungat, I'm in the mood for asking, what (if you have one) is your fave black metal band?

Trasher02 05.16.2007 05:23 PM

Abyssic Hate
Burzum
Xasthur

Ace bands.

pokkeherrie 05.16.2007 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
what (if you have one) is your fave black metal band?

Racist.

Toilet & Bowels 05.16.2007 05:33 PM

darkthrone
striborg
leviathan
ildjarn

MellySingsDoom 05.16.2007 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
Racist.

Fine, just for you, what's YOUR fave WHITE metal band :rolleyes:

As I say every day to my bagel dealer - "Oy Gewalt!" :cool:

Iain 05.16.2007 05:44 PM

I have barely dipped my toe into the murky waters of Black Metal but I am quite fond of Mayhem and Abruptum. Quite taken with Abruptum especially.

MellySingsDoom 05.16.2007 05:45 PM

Abruptum be good, but early Mayhem is the lick, as they say in Soho. Early Graveland is good, too.

golden child 05.16.2007 05:48 PM

its all about BONE AWL

Iain 05.16.2007 05:51 PM

Quote:

Abruptum be good, but early Mayhem is the lick, as they say in Soho. Early Graveland is good, too.

Of the Mayhem stuff I've heard I liked the demo versions of a lot of stuff more than the final album stuff.

Toilet & Bowels 05.16.2007 06:02 PM

attila csihar is what makes mayhem for me, i'm interested to hear the new record now that he's back in the fold.

anyway, i don't understand why bone awl have been picked up by the noise scene over any other particular BM band

pokkeherrie 05.16.2007 06:12 PM

Quote:

Fine, just for you, what's YOUR fave WHITE metal band :rolleyes:

The only one I know by name are Stryper, so I suppose it has to be them.

As for black metal; I don't listen to it a lot, but recently I was taken by Wolves in the Throne Room. I suspect they might be a bit too pussy for the real real real-black metal fans though. But a bit of Mayhem every now and then is fine with me as well.

MellySingsDoom 05.16.2007 06:18 PM

Stryper = ARRRGH!

sarramkrop 05.16.2007 06:23 PM

Nokturnal Mortum
Burzum
Sigh
Velvet Cacoon
Xasthur

pokkeherrie 05.16.2007 06:23 PM

Quote:

Stryper = ARRRGH!

Stryper being in "The inevitable Black Metal thread" means this thread is doomed now.

MellySingsDoom 05.16.2007 06:26 PM

pokkeherrie - we're all doomed anyway.

The Emperor album "Anthems To The Welken At Dusk" is classic in all fronts, both warm and occluded.

el duderino 05.16.2007 06:31 PM

Blut Aus Nord - The work which transforms god

Everyneurotic 05.16.2007 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
attila csihar is what makes mayhem for me, i'm interested to hear the new record now that he's back in the fold.

anyway, i don't understand why bone awl have been picked up by the noise scene over any other particular BM band

a) yeah, i love attila; same here, i want to hear the new album. he's fantastic.

b) because of prurient, of course, dom seems to champion them a lot. i found them a bit meh, just a bunch of badly recorded discharge riffs with shrieky vocals

Quote:

The Emperor album "Anthems To The Welken At Dusk" is classic in all fronts, both warm and occluded.

yes, i agree, it's not so much black metal but it has a charm all of it's own.

as far as the topic on hand; i've been listening to watain quite a bit lately, their new album is really good, i'll be seeing them on the 25th.

Toilet & Bowels 05.16.2007 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic

b) because of prurient, of course, dom seems to champion them a lot. i found them a bit meh, just a bunch of badly recorded discharge riffs with shrieky vocals

it all just seems a bit arbitrary to me as there are like 2000 BM groups who do that

Everyneurotic 05.16.2007 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
it all just seems a bit arbitrary to me as there are like 2000 BM groups who do that

hmm, true, the good ones have this bleak character of sound that's unquestionably bm.

bone awl seem to not have that.

Toilet & Bowels 05.16.2007 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
The only one I know by name are Stryper, so I suppose it has to be them.

As for black metal; I don't listen to it a lot, but recently I was taken by Wolves in the Throne Room. I suspect they might be a bit too pussy for the real real real-black metal fans though. But a bit of Mayhem every now and then is fine with me as well.

actually there is such a thing as white metal (aka unblack metal) which is basically christian black metal. there's a label called e.e.e. recordings that specializes in putting out christian extreme metal.
here are some white metal bands

Light Shall Prevail

Agathothodion

Glaciial

http://www.e3recordings.com/

while we're on the subject of weird subgenres i might aswell point out VARGHKOGHARGASMAL, a band who play "wooden metal".
http://www.myspace.com/varghkoghargasmal