Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   most overrated artists of all time (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=130)

dietzer123 03.22.2006 01:18 PM

most overrated artists of all time

what pops to mind is probably tupac and the sex pistols.

Inhuman 03.22.2006 01:21 PM

Metallica hands down.

Hip Priest 03.22.2006 01:25 PM

My opinions. Please do not assume that this list is in any way exhaustive. I'll just type 'till my fingers get too sore.

Part one: people who (supposedly) should not be bashed, but who are or were in fact largely bobbins: The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zepellin, U2, Bloody Radiohead, Blur, Belle and Sebastian, Kaiser Chiefs, Eminem, Coldplay, Pink Floyd, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Brian Eno, Genesis, Abba, Bee Gees, The White Stripes, Arcade Fire, Flaming Lips, REM, Blondie, undertones, Verve, The Strokes

Part two: people who are polular, but not protected to the same extent as those in part one, and are or were also largely bobbins: Green Day, the Foo Fighters, The Darkness, Slipknot, Maximo Park, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Pavement, Rage Against the Machine, 50 Cent, Snow Patrol (the point? Any idea?), Keane (ditto), The Killers, My Chemical Romance, Black Sabbath, Ash, Turin Brakes, Alkaline Trio, The Bravery, Iron Maiden, The Editors, The Hives, The Vines, Catatonia, Guns 'n' Roses, Christina Agullera, Massive Attack, Underworld, Fatboy Slim, AC/DC.

Part three: throwaway pop acts etc who, despite being very popular and/or supposedly credible in some way, are or were still largely bobbins: Celine Dion (first on the list for a reason), Mariah Carey, Kylie Minogue, Gerorge Michael, Phil Collins, Westlife, Jamie Cullum, Wham!, Bananarama, Simply Red, Simple Minds, .

Classical composers who, despite the trend, were largely bobbins: Beethoven, Sullivan, Britten, that guy whose name escapes me, Dvorak.

It seems to me that jazz is the only major musical genre where it's quality that gets respect.

In jazz, the cream rises to the surface, whilst in other genres the pollution just kind of floats there.

Inhuman 03.22.2006 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip Priest
My opinions. Please do not assume that this list is in any way exhaustive. I'll just type 'till my fingers get too sore.

Part one: people who (supposedly) should not be bashed, but who are or were in fact largely bobbins: The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zepellin, U2, Bloody Radiohead, Blur, Belle and Sebastian, Kaiser Chiefs, Eminem, Coldplay, Pink Floyd, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Brian Eno, Genesis, Abba, Bee Gees, The White Stripes, Arcade Fire, Flaming Lips, REM

Part two: people who are polular, but not protected to the same extent as those in part one, and are or were also largely bobbins: Green Day, the Foo Fighters, The Darkness, Slipknot, Maximo Park, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Pavement, Rage Against the Machine, 50 Cent, Snow Patrol (the point? Any idea?), Keane (ditto), The Killers, My Chemical Romance, Black Sabbath, Ash, Turin Brakes, Alkaline Trio, The Bravery, Iron Maiden, The Editors, The Hives, The Vines, Catatonia, Guns 'n' Roses, Christina Agullera, Massive Attack, Underworld, Fatboy Slim, AC/DC.

Part three: throwaway pop acts etc who, despite being very popular and/or supposedly credible in some way, are or were still largely bobbins: Celine Dion (first on the list for a reason), Mariah Carey, Kylie Minogue, Gerorge Michael, Phil Collins, Westlife, Jamie Cullum, Wham!, Bananarama, Simply Red, Simple Minds, .

Classical composers who, despite the trend, were largely bobbins: Beethoven (one decent part of one average symphony and what does he get? hundreds of years of respect!), Sullivan, Britten, that guy whose name escapes me, Dvorak.

It seems to me that jazz is the only major musical genre where it's quality that gets respect.

In jazz, the cream rises to the surface, whilst in other genres the pollution just kind of floats there.

Well put, I can agree with you in all of those categories. I'm starting to slowly get into jazz more and more, and I already really like Sun Ra. I'd be interested in discovering new jazz artists

porkmarras 03.22.2006 01:34 PM

i dont want to enter a slanging match with anyone here but personally i think nick drake is a bit overrated.Its only personal taste after all.

schizophrenicroom 03.22.2006 01:44 PM

Hip Priest- You are my hero. But why the Darkness? "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" is genius.

I never liked Led Zeppelin. I don't get it. It's some banshee in tight pants wailing for eight hours over and over. So what?

Hip Priest 03.22.2006 01:47 PM

Thanks mate.

The Darkness? I don't know. They're not good enough to be a serious band, and not funny enough to be a skit, in my opinion of course. Glam Racket, by The Fall, makes fun of glam better, and it's a superior riff too. In fact, that riff sums up glam as well as you just summed up Led Zepellin.

I think partly it was another Arctic Monkeys/too much praaise thing.

Everyneurotic 03.22.2006 01:48 PM

limp bizkit

they are too respected on the indie and mainstream comunities

Trasher02 03.22.2006 01:49 PM

Schizo you must be kidding!The Darkness is one of the worst bands i've ever heard!

Nirvana is probably one of the most overrated bands ever.Don't get me wrong i like em but they're so overrated.

By the way nicely done Hip Priest

Signpost 03.22.2006 01:50 PM

Placebo
Yes
Soundgarden
Tortoise

HaydenAsche 03.22.2006 01:55 PM

Overrated?

Nirvana
Bright Eyes(I actually quite liked "I'm Wide Awake...")
the Cure
Wolf Eyes(I love 'em but they aren't all they're cracked up to be. Hair Police and Yellow Swans do it much better.)
Flipper(I really don't like it)
Belle & Sebastian(Again, something I really like but its far too hyped up.)

schizophrenicroom 03.22.2006 02:00 PM

I think I just like that one Darkness song (I'm not saying they're a good band, I just like that song) because it's rare to see spandex catsuits anymore. I'm sentimental.

Belle and Sebastian really are overrated. The singer always tries to come off as Holden Caulfield.

Inhuman 03.22.2006 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Overrated?

Nirvana
Bright Eyes(I actually quite liked "I'm Wide Awake...")
the Cure
Wolf Eyes(I love 'em but they aren't all they're cracked up to be. Hair Police and Yellow Swans do it much better.)
Flipper(I really don't like it)
Belle & Sebastian(Again, something I really like but its far too hyped up.)

I'm with ya on this one, especially Bright Eyes. I liked Bright Eyes when Lifted was first released, and I sometimes feel that people saying "CoNoR ObErSt Is SoOo ScHmExY!" is the reason I'm not into them at all anymore. I still love Conor's split with Britt Daniel; I could easily say it's the best thing he ever released

Trasher02 03.22.2006 02:03 PM

This one's for schizo :D

I BELIEVE I A THING CALLED LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE!!!

Everyneurotic 03.22.2006 02:04 PM

i heard a song from lifted and i thought it was great!!. then i heard the two albums he put out last year and i was like "fuck this guy trying to be bob dylan!!"

HaydenAsche 03.22.2006 02:14 PM

Yeah. Digital Ash was horrible and I don't like Fevers & Mirrors either.

AllHandsOnTheBigOne 03.22.2006 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip Priest
Classical composers who, despite the trend, were largely bobbins: Beethoven (one decent part of one average symphony and what does he get? hundreds of years of respect!)

Bzzz. Wrong. I was pretty much with you up to this point. But Beethoven is brilliant.

Mozart on the other hand...

Quote:

"Classical", for the most part, is that way as well.

schizophrenicroom 03.22.2006 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inhuman
I'm with ya on this one, especially Bright Eyes. I liked Bright Eyes when Lifted was first released, and I sometimes feel that people saying "CoNoR ObErSt Is SoOo ScHmExY!" is the reason I'm not into them at all anymore. I still love Conor's split with Britt Daniel; I could easily say it's the best thing he ever released

Aaahh, thank you. It's the little "indie" fangirls who only like him because he's "cute" and totally speaks to their 13-year-old prepubescent soul.

I really like that split. I second this statement.

Trasher- Haha, thanks.

hey alex 03.22.2006 02:28 PM

I'm going to go on alimb and admit I like i'm wide awake/it's morning... not a lot, but it's ok. Lua is good song. But the idea of bright eyes now is far too hokey for me to ever listen to him.

Led zeppelin - overrated yes... but if you haven't listened to them in three years and then hear achille's last stand followed by house of holy (the song) you'll be fucking happy.

Pearl Jam... overrated to an extent... ten was boring dribble. Same goes for alice in chains, soundgarden, and rage against the machine. I really don't see the big deal with heavy modern (90's modern, and todays) rock. It's boring.

schizophrenicroom 03.22.2006 02:30 PM

Most popular "alternative" rock around 1990-97 is generally overrated.