Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   favorite david lynch movies? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=343)

Tokolosh 06.20.2006 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toxic johnny
In this order...

Mulholland Dr./Lost Highway
Eraserhead
Blue Velvet
The Straight Story
Fire Walk With Me
Twin Peaks
Wild At Heart
The Elephant Man
Industrial Symphony No. 1
Lumiere:'Premonitions following an evil deed'
On The Air
The Grandmother
The Alphabet
Dune

Roll on Inland Empire

Toxic. I've got the documentary of the Lumiere attempt by different directors.
Difficult to shoot with that camera. I think Lynch made the best film of all the participants. The 53 seconds had to be shot in one go and if you look carefully at the different sets and crossovers he used, you'll realize what a master he really is.
I see that you know his final exam films too. The grandmother is creepy shit!

toxic johnny 06.20.2006 05:11 AM

Yeah I've been a hardcore fan since the 80's... it's a very big day in the Toxic household when a new Lynch movie is released.

alyasa 06.20.2006 06:40 AM

Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway are amazing... I haven't seen his whole body of work, so I can't really compare... Blue Velvet was extremely weird and surreal to me... Even more so than usual...

umjammer atomsk 07.04.2006 09:00 PM

I'm watching Rabbits right now. I really don't what to say about it...

atari 2600 07.04.2006 09:34 PM

Rabbits is experimental strangeness. It's like a non-objective satire. I've yet to see the Dumbland animated thing.

If you didn't list Blue Velvet first, (& The Elephant Man at number two) then, I'm sorry, but it's very, very, very difficult to take your opinion(s) seriously.

1. Blue Velvet
2. The Elephant Man
3. Wild At Heart
4. Eraserhead
5. Dune
6. The Straight Story
7. Mulholland Drive
8. Fire Walk With Me
9. Lost Highway

Some of the ones listed have been straight-to-video or TV series. Yeah, I've seen On the Air & Hotel Room. I wasn't all that taken with either. The Alphabet was a disturbing little early short.

LifeDistortion 07.04.2006 10:57 PM

How close is "Inland Empire" set to come out? When will we see a trailer? I was talking to my brother the other day about our mutual love for Lynch.

max 07.05.2006 12:00 AM

right on, chabib, can you tell us when it's coming out?

swimsuitissue 07.05.2006 12:06 AM

Eraserhead
Mulholland Drive
Lost Highway

m^a(t)h 07.05.2006 12:09 AM

eraserhead is the only one ive seen, and the only one ill ever watch(because i love it)

toxic johnny 07.05.2006 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600

If you didn't list Blue Velvet first, (& The Elephant Man at number two) then, I'm sorry, but it's very, very, very difficult to take your opinion(s) seriously.

Ha Ha Ha

against_the_grain 07.05.2006 12:51 PM

Ive seen 5 on the list....and overall my fave would be proly Eraserhead.

There's a part in Mulholland Drive where the two girls go to an all night theatre and there's this Hispanic girl singing a cappella, a Spanish version of Roy Orbison's 'Crying'.....

It's absolutey breathtaking.....her passion her tone...her expression !!

I was awestruck in the theatre...and being one of only 5 or so people, mid-afternoon matinee, her voice just resonated so profoudly in there.....

Really, one of my favorite all-time musical moments onscreen.....Stunning...!

umjammer atomsk 07.06.2006 04:29 AM

Here's episode 5 of Dumbland. I'm sure it will be taken off of youtube soon.

terminal pharmacy 07.06.2006 05:05 AM

my fav lynch is elephant man followed by industrial symphony #1

Bertrand 07.06.2006 08:11 AM

My fave film (all directors included) is Mulholland Drive. My avatar is taken from one of its scenes

Then would come Eraserhead and Blue Velvet - both have chilling songs
Beyond would be the Straight Story, Wild at Heart, one of the shorts (the one with the tree)... Elephant Man, which I can't recall properly...
I don't dig Dune for I find it to be only interesting for its torture scenes, the rest being empty (Dino de Laurentiis producing : lots of extras, costumes by the ton; he also produced Flash Gordon; Dune & Gordon are slightly the same as far as action goes, except that everybody's wrapped up in clothes that would have killed any diabetic actor in Flash Gordon; which might explains the darkness of the costumes in Dune; mourning)

I really feel strange when it comes to Lost Highway : first I saw it on TV and didn't like it (in spite of the funny moments with Gary Busey); I later saw it on the big screen : it changed it all; recently, TV again, and same boredom.

Rabbits... Haven't seen the whole length. I probably missed something. Idle brainwanking? Erm... I said I had probably missed something, but that was just to be polite.

Oh and I can't remember well enough, but The Cowboy and the Frenchman (not sure about the title) was kinda funny.

RdTv 07.06.2006 08:32 AM

Lost Highway and Blue Velvet are my top two picks.

the big quasar 07.06.2006 08:33 AM

No 1 ... Blue Velvet. Then Eraserhead

"Don't you farkin look at me!"