Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Burning Spear (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=966)

h8kurdt 04.15.2006 03:33 PM

Burning Spear

So i'm miserable today/this evening and i'm listening to the song Burning Spear on repeat. To be honest this must be one of the best SY out there.So is it me or does this song rule?

Discuss

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 04.15.2006 03:51 PM

It used to be one of my favorites. Its in my top 5

samuel 04.15.2006 04:10 PM

I love this song. I wouldn't consider it one of my favorites though. The way the song starts with the percussion gives me chills.

schizophrenicroom 04.15.2006 06:13 PM

One of my favorite Yoof songs. The power drill always manages to kind of creep me out.

Toxa 04.15.2006 07:07 PM

I don't like studio version very much... but live performance kicks ass! great live song.

the ikara cult 04.15.2006 08:37 PM

its great, very danceable.

Neongod 04.15.2006 09:30 PM

It was certainly a surprise. I had listened to Confusion/Idols and I didn't like it (I have since changed my opinion), then later on I heard the EP. I couldn't believe they went from the EP to THAT!! So in short, yes, it rocks. The reissue live version is great too, but Destroyer is my favorite live track.

kingcoffee 04.15.2006 09:42 PM

Burnig Spear really is one of their most amazing songs. I saw them play it live at the Avalon Ballroom a couple of years ago in Boston. They opened the show with it. Goddamn, I've never seen such a wild display of kinetic energy from a single band. Thurston went absolutely nuts with his guitar. He started climbing the amplifiers by stage left and scraped his guitar strings against the fixtures. He climbed down and started rubbing the guitar all over his body in a very sexual display of power. Intimidating.

DoubleNickels 04.15.2006 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingcoffee
Burnig Spear really is one of their most amazing songs. I saw them play it live at the Avalon Ballroom a couple of years ago in Boston. They opened the show with it. Goddamn, I've never seen such a wild display of kinetic energy from a single band. Thurston went absolutely nuts with his guitar. He started climbing the amplifiers by stage left and scraped his guitar strings against the fixtures. He climbed down and started rubbing the guitar all over his body in a very sexual display of power. Intimidating.

I came up late to that show, and I was so FUCKING PISSED when I found out they opened with Burning Spear.

Fox 04.16.2006 01:28 AM

Don't you think some of the bass line in this track is similar of the bass line in Brave Men Run (in my Family) ? There is something... similar

h8kurdt 04.16.2006 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
One of my favorite Yoof songs. The power drill always manages to kind of creep me out.

I was wondering about that drill after readaing about it on the mustang website. When and how does he use it? Is it used just before Thurston starts singing?