Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Last House On The Left remake (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=28981)

noisereductions 01.15.2009 08:39 PM

Last House On The Left remake

Fuck. This does not look good. From the trailer alone it's obvious just how much the story has changed. Dammit. And Wes approves. And the saddest thing? I'm gonna go see it. I can't help myself. I have to.

Anyway, Fuck Buttons is in the trailer. Odd huh? See it here:

http://wescraven.com/

atsonicpark 01.15.2009 08:40 PM

Piss yer pants!

noisereductions 01.15.2009 08:52 PM

I knew you'd bite.

Are you gonna see it? As much as I know that I'm gonna spend 2 hrs like "OH MY GOD, THATS NOT WHAT HAPPENS IN THE ORIGINAL--THIS SUCKS" I'm still gonna go see it. Cuz I'm weak.

atsonicpark 01.15.2009 08:53 PM

I'm going to maybe watch it online. Doesn't really interest me.

demonrail666 01.15.2009 08:59 PM

Moaning about remakes gets old pretty quickly, but seriously. Last House on the Left?!?!? Improving something is fine but when it just looks like another opportunity to sex up the soundtrack, insert some ironic dialogue and generally fail to grasp what made the original so fucking awesome in the first place?

I'm boycotting it*

*Don't quote me on that.

noisereductions 01.15.2009 09:03 PM

haha. I don't really moan about remakes. I just treat a film as a film. I'll openly say that certain remakes are better than their originals: Black Xmas, The Thing, The Blob, and so on. So whatever.

I'm only moaning because... well it's Last House, and well, we're way more pussy now. And I just dnt think this will have the emotional resonance of the original. But I'm a longtime huge Craven fan, and will see anything he's attached to because it'll bother me if I don't.

✌➬ 01.15.2009 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Moaning about remakes gets old pretty quickly, but seriously. Last House on the Left?!?!? Improving something is fine but when it just looks like another opportunity to sex up the soundtrack, insert some ironic dialogue and generally fail to grasp what made the original so fucking awesome in the first place?

I'm boycotting it*

Just so I can keeo you on your word. I'll ignore the other comment.

demonrail666 01.15.2009 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
haha. I don't really moan about remakes. I just treat a film as a film. I'll openly say that certain remakes are better than their originals: Black Xmas, The Thing, The Blob, and so on. So whatever.

I'm only moaning because... well it's Last House, and well, we're way more pussy now. And I just dnt think this will have the emotional resonance of the original. But I'm a longtime huge Craven fan, and will see anything he's attached to because it'll bother me if I don't.

No, I was referring to myself. I'm always moaning about them and it gets to the point where i just feel like I'm saying the same thing over again. And I agree with everything you say in this and your first post.

noisereductions 01.15.2009 09:08 PM

haha, cool.

demonrail666 01.15.2009 09:19 PM

As you say, Carpenter's The Thing is a far better film than Hawkes' original. Although I actually think that's largelu because Carpenter didn't really trying to remake the original - as such. I think it's more a kind of homage to 50s sci fi movies in general. It's more like a tribute than it is a remake. And besides, the Thing never had that 20-30-something cult following in the way that LHotL has. 90% of the horror being remade right now comes from a fairly brief period (mid-70s early 80s) which has a massive cult following that's easy to exploit. As you say, while we both know that, and will nodoubt be moaning all the way through it, we'll still pay good money to watch the bastard.

noisereductions 01.15.2009 09:25 PM

Word. Remake-wise though, I must say, I'm really excited about MBV3D. That shit looks amazing. I mean I watch the original every year on Valentine's Day. So I'm a fan. But for some reason I really am into this remake. Which for the most part, I'm normally "not."

demonrail666 01.15.2009 09:43 PM

well yeah. I'm probably not as big a fan of the original MBV as you are but i do like it. Either way, doing it in 3D at least shows a bit of originality. I'd love it if they did LHotL in 3D. I also get the feeling that the people remaking MBV are doing it as a bit of a labour of love. I mean there isn't that big an audience that'd know the original so I'm guessing it's not as easy to exploit.

I'll tell you this though, they so much as think about remaking Basket Case, even if they decide to do it in 4D, with a scratch'n'sniff card, I'm declaring war.

noisereductions 01.15.2009 10:16 PM

unless it's by Frank Hettenlotter. Then it'd be fine.

MellySingsDoom 01.16.2009 06:43 AM

Oh for crying out loud....this is about at necessary as Jerry Bruckenheimer ordering a remake of "Airplane!". I mean, I'm sad too that the golden age of exploitation cinema is very much over, but really, is there any point to this? It's not going to be a radical re-interpretation, or a substantial improvement on the original.

What next, an "ironic" re-making of "Driller Killer"?

pbradley 01.16.2009 06:48 AM

I'm still tired of sequels and remakes.

noisereductions 01.16.2009 08:04 AM

calm down, Nelly. There was no "point" to those films either. Except cheap thrills. And that's what's being offered here. Plus it's in 3D. Something slightly different. It's going to be a fun cheap thrill. Good enough for me. (*referring to MBV, not Last House)

ZEROpumpkins 01.16.2009 08:09 AM

Fuck Buttons is in the trailer?
What the shit?

MellySingsDoom 01.16.2009 08:36 AM

noisereductions - Oh, I wouldn't disagree with you there. It's a purely subjective viewpoint here from me.

I'm glad that you and Demonrail mentioned Frank Henenlotter here - think I'll watch "Brain Damage" again over the next couple of days.

Toilet & Bowels 01.16.2009 08:42 AM

the fully uncut version only got released in the UK last year, i think i'll watch that instead.

noisereductions 01.16.2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
noisereductions - Oh, I wouldn't disagree with you there. It's a purely subjective viewpoint here from me.

I'm glad that you and Demonrail mentioned Frank Henenlotter here - think I'll watch "Brain Damage" again over the next couple of days.

oh God, do I love that one! Ailmer is the shit!