Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Awkward Social Situations (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1654)

truncated 05.09.2006 09:39 AM

Awkward Social Situations

Really, I encounter too many on a daily basis to enumerate upon. However, one that has recently plagued me in the workplace is the 'conversational perpetuater.'

You know those people who engage you in a conversation (which in itself is usually banal and painfully substantiated with forced small talk), and when the resource of trivial bullshit has run dry and the conversation is visibly over, refuse to walk away? They stare at you in a chasm of silence, looking at you expectantly, despite the fact that neither of you have anything more to say. All physical and verbal indications have been given that the conversation has terminated, but they JUST WON'T LEAVE.

What's wrong with these people? How do you handle the situation?

dietzer123 05.09.2006 09:41 AM

those can be tough. i was at a funeral recently for my step grandpappy meeting a whole lot of step-family members that i'd never met before and so i had to talk to EVERY single last one of them. not only that, but they liked to run their fucking mouths. to deal with this i've worked out a system. just sorta space out while they talk, and when they finally shut up just kinda look at them blankly until they feel so awkward they scurry away.

Savage Clone 05.09.2006 09:42 AM

".....So, how much can you bench?"

screamingskull 05.09.2006 09:46 AM

i hate saying goodbye to people because i never know what to do, you can go for a handshake and they lean over for a kiss on the cheek, or you go for a kiss on the cheek goodbye and they were expecting a wave, its so uncomphortable, i usually just wave goodbye now.

screamingskull 05.09.2006 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dietzer123
just sorta space out while they talk, and when they finally shut up just kinda look at them blankly until they feel so awkward they scurry away.

ha ha ha, this is a great idea, although with my family they would probly just think i was trippin from some drug if i did this.

truncated 05.09.2006 09:56 AM

I fucking love that cartoon. It's so apropos.

Diesel, you ARE an awkward social situation.

truncated 05.09.2006 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingskull
i hate saying goodbye to people because i never know what to do, you can go for a handshake and they lean over for a kiss on the cheek, or you go for a kiss on the cheek goodbye and they were expecting a wave, its so uncomphortable, i usually just wave goodbye now.

I am so feelin' that.

I don't like people getting in my bubble. If I don't know you, you best be backing off. This means no cheek-kissing, no awkward one-armed hugs, no standing 1 millimeter away from me when speaking. You have to EARN entrance into the bubble.

fishmonkey 05.09.2006 10:18 AM

i was renting out a DVD from the local shop with my mate last weekend, just staying in watching a movie and having a blaze, so we come to an agreement, He pays to rent the DVD and i'll buy the munchies... so i go up to the counter with a large packet of Walkers crisps (they are the new lime flavored ones - Charolette Church is in the ad for them) when all of a sudden the bitch behind the counter starts this shit about how "they arent nice", how i should "put them back and get a different kind", all about how she tried them with her friend and that they stink.. i'm like.. "fuck it, i'll take my chances, maybe i will like em maybe i wont but what the hell!! what am i loosing only the cost of them which was about €2!".. but no.... she had to fucking go again...."i'm telling you... you will not like them crisps... they are horrible, put them back now and get a different type" at this stage a queue had formed behind me... i let fly.." look, i'm gonna buy these fuckin things and see how I like them and not you... you tried em and didint like em now i'm gonna give em a shot, he's the fuckin money, take it and we'll consider this simple transaction over" now she gets stroppy..."well if you dont like em its your own fault" now the €2 coin has bounced off the counter and i turn on me heels and leave, didnt look back but imagined the €2 coin embedded in her forehead as i leave smiling to myself...
my point was all i was doing was buying somethin in a shop and this...YOKE has to get the whole pitch in and try and do some sort of good deed for the day with a queue of people behind me...i was very stoned and i really dont need this confrontation..

i feel better about it now... maybe i went overboard...
the crisps in the end were actually.....horrible
my mate finished the bag

truncated 05.09.2006 10:22 AM

Y'all have weird food over there anyhow. Ireland is the only place I've ever been where a tyrannical Italian ran a curry take-away. And Abrekebabra - need I say more? That place is a ptomaine epidemic waiting to happen.

fishmonkey 05.09.2006 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truncated
And Abrekebabra - need I say more? That place is a ptomaine epidemic waiting to happen.

i got sick form that place more times... jesus they are some greasy spoon. although after a few beers the place lights up like Neverland... then the next morning yr ass is on fire and you remember you ate there last night..

when were you in ireland Truncated?

truncated 05.09.2006 10:45 AM

I lived there for a bit about 5 years ago, and I go back once a year to visit friends. Heading back this summer in fact.

The only reason people eat at Abrekebabra is because it's the only place open at that hour of the night/morning. All food served there is unrecognizable as anything edible you've encountered before.

fishmonkey 05.09.2006 10:48 AM

yeah you are so right there its the only place open atthat time, wow thats cool T, i didnt realise you had so much connection to Ireland.

fishmonkey 05.09.2006 10:59 AM

and Taco fries...of course

truncated 05.09.2006 11:04 AM

Yeah, if you feel like hosting some serious bacteria in your colon.

fishmonkey 05.09.2006 11:05 AM

i prefer a doner kebab to chicken, jesus i'm getting hungry meself now.. i'd eat a scabby baby thru a skylight! its a real warm day in ireland today aswell, might just have a salad...NOT

fishmonkey 05.09.2006 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truncated
Yeah, if you feel like hosting some serious bacteria in your colon.

you end up like some sort of bacteria middleman... a host if you will

fishmonkey 05.09.2006 11:19 AM

i'm can be real odd about what i eat, if your paying money to have a nice meal or even a bag of chips you wanna make sure its done right..
although in saying that i cant explain my abrakebabra antics, that is just alcohol talking i think

fishmonkey 05.09.2006 11:41 AM

yeah, know what you mean, i love a good munch me

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 05.09.2006 11:49 AM

Hmmmm, awkward social situations:

Being thrust into a social situation with your archenemy (yes I do have an archenemy)
When a girl that you don't want to have sex with is sitting on your bed and asking you to play songs on your guitar for her (I came out the victor here!)
When a girl can't stop finding ways to touch you upon first meeting, but she can't stop finding ways to mention her boyfriend.
When you go into the back room of a party with some friends not realizing they are about to toke, when you have made they decision not to smoke pot.

Savage Clone 05.09.2006 12:21 PM

The last one is pretty easily remedied by not sharing the pot.
Peer pressure was a HUGE myth regarding drug use in my experience.
I was never once pressured to do drugs to fit in, ever.