Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Does anyone know any must see Sonic Youth places/locations in New York?? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=31206)

sonicbairn 05.10.2009 09:19 AM

Does anyone know any must see Sonic Youth places/locations in New York??

I'm going on friday.. any famous sonic youth hangouts?? Ta

hevusa 05.10.2009 11:50 AM

Thurston Moore's pants.

sonicbairn 05.10.2009 12:07 PM

i wish hahaha

nicfit 05.10.2009 12:50 PM

I'd say Murray Street...

drrrtyboots 05.10.2009 02:09 PM

Lydia Lunch's vagina maybe?

automatic bzooty 05.10.2009 02:24 PM

^ yeah, i hear that's a really popular attraction. like those caverns in kentucky, mammoth cave and all that, but way more decrepit.

scott v 05.10.2009 07:37 PM

HAHA, this is a weirdo thread almost borders on poparazzo style techniques to stalking behavior... wtf and thurston and kim don't live in nyc anymore, maybe lee still does and steve is in jersey... hoboken?

Magic Wheel Memory 05.10.2009 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott v
HAHA, this is a weirdo thread almost borders on poparazzo style techniques to stalking behavior... wtf and thurston and kim don't live in nyc anymore, maybe lee still does and steve is in jersey... hoboken?

Maybe he means places where they used to hang out. Anyway, CBGB is closed, and the city has changed quite a bit since they started out. I would just find out who's playing at The Stone. It has nothing to do with SY history, but there's some great music there. Or just wander around the Lower East Side, where they used to live.

black mantle 05.11.2009 06:08 AM

Not that weird of a question.

Like, where's the corner in the Daydream Nation booklet? I know it is not the same looking anymore, but whatever. Stuff like that is harmless. Where is the corner Steve is eating pizza in the Titanum Expose video? There are endless answers to their question of Sonic Youth related spots in NYC.

I would recommend going to Printed Matter.

Some people find it exciting to walk down a street mentioned in their favorite song, or say, the name of an album. I understand that myself, sometimes. Especially if you haven't been to New York a ton, it can feel exciting.

Moshe 05.11.2009 06:13 AM

Steve was supposed to write a NY/NJ guide book...
i wonder if he ever did?

_slavo_ 05.11.2009 07:11 AM

Hmmm ... maybe the place where the Noisefest took place back in 1981 ... yes, the White Columns gallery.

silverfreepress (sdasher) 05.11.2009 09:47 AM

Orchard/Delancey

barnaclelapse 05.11.2009 10:06 AM

I have a friend who used to make it a yearly thing to go to some of Kurt Cobain's old hangouts in Seattle.

I don't think it's weird at all. If you're into a band or artist, you're interested in seeing some of the history you weren't able to catch in person. It's all about the energy of a place, and I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to tap into it a little.

scott v 05.11.2009 10:28 AM

sorry i was reading into the first post the wrong way...

neptuneg 05.11.2009 10:57 AM

You can go to Murray St. where their studio was. Easiest way is to take the 6 to the Brooklyn Bridge stop. It's a pretty area if it's nice out.

soniknirve 05.11.2009 11:35 AM

thurston joked at a ny show that lee lives at the corner of duane and reade.

negative8ball 05.11.2009 02:12 PM

Totally makes sense to me - heck, when I did my first visit to NY (other than the BAM performance) - I tried to see landmarks - meant to get a Murray Street photo (but missed out)... wasn't their studio near/in the vicinity of Ground Zero?

I did see the old CBGBs location, Joey Ramone Place (a section of Broadway), the original Factory location etc)... makes perfect sense to me...

Wish I'd thought to ask here for some SY locales... [smirk]

blunderbuss 05.11.2009 04:45 PM

Just go to Other Music and Downtown Music Gallery. Not SY hangouts, but good places to buy good music anyway.

RanaldoNecro 05.11.2009 05:18 PM

Many Lit buffs are into lit tourism or the like. It would just make sense to read Kafka before you went to Prague...It enriches the experience...

BushIsAPsycho 05.11.2009 09:04 PM

http://toddpnyc.com/ for cool shows at what not

Williamsburg in Brooklyn too has an awesome bookstore and record store and a great pizza joint I forget where tho

oh yeah haven't been to but the LaMonte Young gallery is supposed to be cool...